iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidsteer mount branch trimmer

Started by jcbrotz, September 27, 2015, 06:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbrotz

So I have years of neglected hedgerows to trim and would like to build a saw to mount on my skidsteer. I am thinking I would like to put a hydro motor to run a barsaw and have that hinged to let the weight of the bar do the work. what speed would I need out of the hydro motor to achieve the bar speed I would need. I know I am being lazy but it is sunday :) :D. I will call comstock and see what they say when I got some time this week but looking for ideas.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

tmarch

I have a skid steer bar mower that will do what you need, not with big branches, but anything under 2".  You can check it out at skid steer solutions.  It also mows my road and driveway etc. works well.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Stuart Caruk

I use a 5' rotary brush mower mounted to our Bobcat to trim branches and it works great. MY favorite though is our Rockhound 36" flail mower that I mounted on our Kubota KX-161 mini excavator. It's a shredding machine. I can reach up almost 10 feet and hack down most limbs up to 3 " or so. Once they are busted our chewed through away from the tree I can attack them head on at 90 degrees to the stump and they trim them off really nicely. Clean enough that they heal over without any intervention. It saves tons of work and there is nothing to clean up. It does send chips 200 yards or so though so it's definitely an attachment to be careful with.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

jcbrotz

I have prolly 200 acres of hedgerows to trim and am talking about branches in the 10-12 inch range. I will sooner or later get smacked in the teeth. I am gunna build something like this  http://www.spartanequipment.com/products/Skid-Steer-Limb-Saw-Attachment-%28Industrial-Series%29.html. I am not seeing how I will have that much into it or even a weekend of building. I have made a few plates with the jig I built to keep them square I am thinking I just need to put a barsaw hydro motor in it and a good bar just don't know what speed the chain has to run and was being lazy asking. Plans are changed for today with the mill still broke so I should have time to call Comstock and see what they say. So give me a week and I will post a pic and if I don't build it heavy enough you can see the carnage pics also :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

beenthere

jc
Not clear here when you speak of "branches", which to me mean those limbs growing on trees in your hedge row.
How high are you wanting to trim the hedgerow trees? Or are you cleaning out the fence rows?

There is an attachment for skidsteer's that are just hydraulic shears. This pic shows one I used.  Had pretty high reach and 10-12" limbs could be cut through... even if a couple "bites" may be needed. And it rotates 90° for trimming.. up maybe 12' or so.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jcbrotz

I am talking branches or limbs that are growing into the field that whack me in the head on the open tractors or the tractor cab on the one with one. I should be able to gain 20 or so ft of field when I trim them back. I have been doing it from a tractor bucket but sooner or later that is going to get real painfull. I would much rather do it from the cab of my Cat. I tend to trim in the winter so I can burn it instead of dumping them in the woods. I did not get a chance to get ahold of combstock but am thinking I can find the stuff for a firewood processor to do what I need. I would like to trim so I can fit the Cab tractor under with out damage 12 ft'ish but the is the branches that hang into the fields so some will be higher. I want to stay away from a shear due to damage to the trees would like them to heal over quickly.

Bay Beagle

Quote from: beenthere on September 28, 2015, 10:56:19 AM
jc
Not clear here when you speak of "branches", which to me mean those limbs growing on trees in your hedge row.
How high are you wanting to trim the hedgerow trees? Or are you cleaning out the fence rows?

There is an attachment for skidsteer's that are just hydraulic shears. This pic shows one I used.  Had pretty high reach and 10-12" limbs could be cut through... even if a couple "bites" may be needed. And it rotates 90° for trimming.. up maybe 12' or so.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I had one by "WORKSAVER" - had it with a skid steer plate to go on my tractors as well.  It is not going to cut anything over 6 inches -  What I liked .... it won't get caught up in barb wire or get pinched, under pressure

Thank You Sponsors!