iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidding/stacking logs with ATV or tractor for a logger to pick up

Started by livemusic, February 08, 2017, 01:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I was reading another thread about a fellow wondering what to buy to get logs out of his woodlot. I have been pondering this very thing, but a totally separate question is this...

I have interest in upgrading the land that I recently bought. Upgrading meaning, to my liking...

- remove competing trees around dogwood trees (because I like dogwoods, especially and want them to thrive)
- same as above for some especially tall/straight eastern red cedars (I think this is the tree name)
- removing ugly/bent pines (leaving straight ones to prosper)
- removing some sweetgums (they grow huge, which I like, but I am not sure of wildlife benefit) and replacing them with other favorite hardwoods
- thinning some parts that are way too thick with stems, the trees are not prospering

So, what I am wondering is... is there a market for these trees if I cut and skid them out of the woods to a landing zone? Would somebody even buy these if I had a load? Or more than one load?

I don't think I want commercial logging on this tract, as I don't want it rutted up. Considering doing it myself. I have a John Deere 850D Gator 4x4 side by side. If there is no market for this idea, I guess I will just have a lot of firewood, lol. Maybe I could sell some.
~~~
Bill

gimpy

I'm certainly no expert but here is my most recent experience. Unless you have a log mill, those logs are probably worth a lot more cut up and split for firewood. You might be surprised.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

sublime68charger

look on your local CL and talk to some of the people that are listing rough saw lumber in your area they may be willing to work out a deal with you to get your logs saw?

just a idea off of the hip for you.

livemusic

Quote from: gimpy on February 21, 2017, 02:13:31 PM
I'm certainly no expert but here is my most recent experience. Unless you have a log mill, those logs are probably worth a lot more cut up and split for firewood. You might be surprised.

The problem is my location, and global warming. Not a lot of people around here have fireplaces and it's getting less as time goes on. There is a local seller and he sells some, but not a whole lot from what I can tell. As for firewood, what I would prefer to do is cut and stack some at the road and people could buy it and pick it up. I really don't want the hassle of delivery. Which I would think dramatically lessens the potential client list. Maybe I could hire somebody to deliver. I guess I could do it a bit just to get rid of the wood and somebody get some value out of it.

I was hoping I could find a buyer to come get the logs. Even if I have to drag them to a take point and they pick them up.
~~~
Bill

TKehl

Maybe.  All depends on size and species, then quantity.  Then distance to market.  If going for pulp (from earlier discussion), the quantity and distance are more important than the first two.

? to ponder.  What do you consider your time worth?

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!