iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow birch

Started by Bruno of NH, July 30, 2018, 07:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I'm picking up a yellow birch log at the end of the week.
It's 8'6" long 35" on the small end.
Anyone ever slab one?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

shinnlinger

Anything you want to know?  We turn bowls and make hatchet/tool handles with it.

The pith does tend to split.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Bruno of NH

Dave
Does it twist when it dries?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

shinnlinger

Some I suppose, but that isn't something I care too much about it for bowls and handles, so if yours twists all up keep me in mind!

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

crowhill

Seen some that would twist! Was so badly twisted couldn't split it with hammer and wedge, didn't even get used for firewood.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

moodnacreek

Y. birch is a hard, hard wood. Ideally it would be cut in the fall, end sealed, put on sticks in a shed for 2 years or more and then a kiln or heated building. It is by far the nicest of the birch.

Bruno of NH

Oliver05262

H.T.Cushman made "Maple" furniture for many years here in North Bennington. All made from Yellow Birch.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

petefrom bearswamp

Looks like it was felled by beavers
Should make som wonderful stuff Bruno
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

moodnacreek

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 01, 2018, 06:19:25 PM
Looks like it was felled by beavers
Should make som wonderful stuff Bruno
Beavers do a better job than many people.

taylorsmissbeehaven

When I was a much younger fella I was cutting firewood down in a tree guys log yard. I noticed how yellow this one log was but didnt think much about it. Turned out it was in a pile of his private logs. When he got back he turned a shade of red that rivaled that yellow wood. smiley_furious3 Fortunately for me, hes a pretty good guy and the source of many of my logs today. Nice log Bruno I always wanted to saw another one.
Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!