iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Slabs

Started by scleigh, July 29, 2018, 10:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

Brought this 4' wide red oak log home last weekend from the farm across the road.

The mill I slab with will saw up to 44" wide, so I was hoping to get 3 or 4 slabs off each side.

More than a mouth full

Made a few cuts and got and the mill was sawing great.

I knew going in that there was metal in the log, but got 8 really nice slabs without hitting anything. This  slab didn't contain metal, but had staining in it. 43" wide on the big end. I did hit metal on the next cut and was finished with the log.

Here's the grain with water on the slab

this was the first time I slabbed red oak. Log was sealed with Anchorseal. How bad do you guys think the checking will be. I tried to put stickers as close to edge as possible.

barbender

The checking will be unmanageable and turn them all into junk. I'll get you my address and you can just ship them to me, and save yourself many headaches😁
Too many irons in the fire

Solar_HoneyBee0

That is a straight up beaut! I have quite a few red oak slabs and I found personally that if I achorseal the ends i'm good. They will crack some, but not much. I sticker them and then let them air dry under an open shed for between 3 and 5 months. I know this probably is crazy, but i'm in no rush. Then I kiln dry them slowly for 1 to 1.5 months (again just preference with what has worked best for me in the past). Then the slabs are good to go.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your plans with them? I have so many red oak slabs about the same size i have no idea what to do with them. By me there isn't any interest in dry or green slabs (which I normally sell at a discount).

Again, she's a beauty!

thecfarm

Don't know what I like best,the Thomas wide head,or the log. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Chad,

Double coat the ends with the anchorseal.  That helps keep the cracking down.  Sometimes one coat is not enough. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!