iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first kiln

Started by DanG, April 23, 2004, 08:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

OK, I'm about to start building my first kiln. It will be a conventional type, temporarily residing in my horse trailer. ::)  I only need it to "cook" the bugs out of some wormy pine paneling and flooring, and to use as a learning tool. That last part guarantees success for the project, 'cause I'll learn something whether it dries wood, or not. :D

The trailer  is a 5-horse, slant load gooseneck, 6' wide, 16' floor length, with a 4' manger above the hitch. I have a firebox that is heavy built and measures about 2' each way, with an eight inch flue opening.  The plan is, to locate the firebox below the manger and run a flue up through the bottom, and the full length of the trailer, about a foot below the ceiling. Fans would circulate the air through the stack, up over the flue, and through the stack again.  The whole thing will be leaky, which will let out some of the moisture, along with some of the heat, so I'll have to do it with brute force, rather than finesse. :D  The openings that exist in the trailer will be blocked with scrap sheet metal and roofing tin.  I could mount the firebox inside, in that manger area, but I'd have to go inside to stoke the fire.

This will be a labor intensive method, as I'll have to constantly maintain the fire, and open the doors to let the moisture out, but it should be a one or two day cycle.

Any ideas that might help?  Words of encouragement are welcome also, but don't bother to tell me I'm crazy. I already know that. ::) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Den Socling

Sorry but I'm speechless.  ;D

Tom

DanG

:D :D :D  Looks like a pretty good representation, Tom, probably more accurate than I'd like. :) :)

I'm already charging extry for the worm holes, so maybe I'd better tack on a fee for smoking. ;D

Actually, the only thing I have to buy is the flue pipe. Everything else is in my junk pile.  The only permanent mod to the trailer is the hole in the bottom of the manger, which will be easy to cover up.  Otherwise, I'd never try this. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

I sure would pressure wash the deck of the trailer as well as wash it out with bleach.   You do not want that other material that has permeated the decking to enter into the lumber you are trying to dry; worm holes or not. :D  Now, if the lumber is going to be used in a tac room or some such place then do not concern yourself with cleaning the trailer deck. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

Dan, this sounds like an idea I would have come up with a few years ago.  That scares me!  How high a temp do you think you will be able to maintain safely?  Would it be possible to exchange the air on a more constant basis?
Good-luck and be careful.  Be sure to keep yourself hidrated.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

OWW, I may be nutso, but I don't see safety as a real big issue, here. The trailer is all steel, except for the floor, which will be about 6' from the flue pipe. The wood stack, itself will probably be no closer than 3'. I just don't see conflagration being a major risk, here.  Besides all that, the whole rig ain't worth much, anyway. I will keep it away from the buildings, though. :)

Good thought, Frank. :D  The floor is due for replacement, anyway. Maybe I should go ahead and remove it first, and cover the bottom with old tin.

Tom, after careful consideration, I've decided to leave the horse outside the trailer. I may put the DanG billy goat in there, though. ;D :D :D

DanG

OWW, I guess I didn't really answer your question. :-[  I think I'll have more trouble getting it hot enough, rather than the opposite. If it gets too hot, venting it will be easy.  I know a guy that works at a big pine mill. They put their pine in a 240 degree kiln for 20 hours! ::)  I doubt I can get this thing anywhere near that. ::)

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  My sides are achin, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  Air, I NEED AIR  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What a thread  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  TOO FUNNY  :D :D :D :D :D

NOT laughin at the idea, it's just the way it was presented
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

What temp do you need to roast "da" goat? Maybe less than 240 will work for "da" goat too.  

What temps works for roasting "da" pig?  

Two fer one is a good idea.
 :D :D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Dat goat is so ornery, he'd probably eat all the wood, so I think I'll leave him out.  I may not be above poking a chicken in there, just to keep body and soul together through the process, though. :D :D

Just in case Tom's drawing( :D) gave the wrong impression, the flue will not terminate inside the chamber. It will just be passing through.

The plan is, to do a dry run, with no lumber inside, and see what temp I can maintain. Then, with a stack of lumber, I will try to maintain the same energy level until the temp equals the dry run temp. Then I'll maintain that temp for several more hours to ensure bug killage and sap settage. :)  The EMC of the boards is of little importance. They are already air dried, and there final resting place will be in a cabin with no electricity. It will be interesting... :P...to see what the EMC is, though, for future projects. :)

etat

DanG, the OFFICIAL inventor. designer and crafter of the  world renowned,one of a kind, soon to be famous,  fully portable, home made, and highly advanced,  HORSE TRAILER LUMBER DRYING KILN 8)

If you don't have luck getting it hot enough try opening up the front, fixing some air dams to channel air in, hitch it to yer truck, and drive down the road really really fast! (Check MC every 40 miles.

Or maybe with the trailer parked close it up fairly tight and channel in exhaust smoke.  Would the carbon monoxide kill the bugs?
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

Couldn't you put a barrel up front to run your pipe in then out for a heat chamber ??? We use to use bromide on our tobacco plant beds wrap lumber in plastic and trigger this stuff it should kill anything. ;D  Uall rember next time you see one at the dealer ship we saw em first The Home Mizer and The Horse Kiln by Dan G & FD
Jim Holloway

DanG

Sat the dirty, mangy DOG that named me Sue! :D :D :D :D

I'll have to go with the second option, since my truck won't go really really fast. ::)  Ya don't suppose the customer would mind the smell of burnt motor oil, do ya?

I've really been studying this kiln drying thing. Den inserts a thermister into a board to tell when the drying process is complete. I was thinking of putting a drumstick into a 2x4, for a finality indicator. When the chicken is done, so is the lumber. ;D :D :D

J_T

Just though of sompthing if the smoke wouldn't give the wood a forever smell nouthing would ever bother it again .Tore a tobacco barn down once you couldn't hire a bug to bite that woodmuch less eat it. Add one ham for smoked ham ;D.
Jim Holloway

DanG

J-T, this customer is a hippie, environmentalist type. The very notion of fumigatin' his wood with chemicals would send him screamin' into the hills. Besides, heat is the generally accepted way to make sure your wood don't hatch.

J_T

Oh Sorry brother me an old hippie haven't got to the n- viroment yet .He might go for a little smoke  :D :D
Jim Holloway

DanG

I'm thinking he's probably got that covered already. ::) :D :D :D

KILROY

DanG,

It all sounds like an interesting venture.  Have you started the test run yet?  How are you going to load the wood into the trailer?  Do you have help with the loading? I have pulled logs out of trailers and stacked boards back in. It was rather cumbersome and loud.
 No, I am not applying for this position! :D

Perhaps you can open a" Kiln Operators School "on weekends.  ;) ;D ;
 The students/apprentices (free labor) can bring a small fee ($$$) and learn the rudimentary and finer points of a successful dry kiln operation.

If they are truly novices and you (Professor DanG/ instructor), tell them this is an experimental mobile kiln (horse trailer, smoker). They may believe you. ::)
  They do not know it is a DanG horse trailer just a few degrees short of combustion!  :D :D
  You are truly blazing an experimental trail for mankind.
  Run this school idea up the flag pole and see if anyone does anything. ;D ;D

I am not going to pile on with the food jokes. (yes I am)
 If you have a good jerky recipe, there may be room in the trailer.  ;D

In reading your posts, you sound like an enlightened and good humored gentleman. Good luck with your efforts!!!!

Some pictures would be nice.

Fla._Deadheader

Funny thing about Ole DanG. He NEVER seems to git them pitchers posted  ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

KILROY

Maybe one of his apprentices will be computer literate.

DanG Kiln Operators School,  has a nice ring to it. ;D ;D :D :D

OneWithWood

Ok, DanG.  I think I have the picture now.  Getting it up to temp and maintaining the heat will be a challenge.  Do you think there will be any problem with creosote build up in the flue where you are blowing air around it - to get enough heat transfer won't the flue temp drop a bunch?

I think your drumstick method for doneness is brilliant
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

caveman

DanG, did you ever build this kiln?   smiley_horserider

I was reading about kilns last night and started back in 2004 and came across this.  There have been a lot of ideas of how to dry or sterilize wood over the years without wrecking it.  Some FF legends chimed in on this one. 
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!