iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel additives

Started by Kansas, July 30, 2013, 12:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Got a phone call wanting to sell me a diesel additive that he claimed would up my fuel economy 20%. Its called Max-Flo. He claimed he got my name from one of those 3x5 cards I sent in expressing interest you see in farm magazines.. I didn't, someone else around here might have. 130 bucks a gallon which treats 1280 gallons and you have to buy 12 of them. Looking on the net, they seem to have no website, and I could find out very little about them, No, not going to get it, but it got me to wondering.

How many of you use diesel additives, the reasons you do, what kind, and are they worth it.

caper

Hello Kansas, diesel additives have their place. Cold weather some add keeps the fuel from gelling,or freezing up. Before the new tier 4 emissions  engines a mixture of ATF and diesel fuel works just fine. There are some older diesels out there that guys are using a 50/50 mix. But with the new engines and the smart exhaust sensors and ecm's it may be something that may cause problems. The new engines are a mess of emissions, its not worth the running costs to have one anymore. Furnace oil also burns the same as diesel,but may have dye in it.

sandhills

Kansas, we always use Howes treatment in ours, definitely in the winter.  We very seldom have to put #1 in any of our tractors, we also change fuel filters every fall.  Sub zero for an extended period though I will mix in #1 50/50, and as far as lubrication goes I really can't say if it helps or not but the bottle claims it does  ::), we mostly use it to prevent jelling.

red oaks lumber

starting in november we run 50/50 fuel #1 & #2 also have good luck running diesel power service fuel conditioner, seems to help.i think they put so much crap in fuel these days that its a wonder anything works.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

chevytaHOE5674

I burn all #2 fuel even in the winter. I add Howes to my fuel tanks year around and also add some 2cyl oil to help keep the old fuel systems lubed up. Haven't had any gelling issues in about 5 years or so, back then I didn't use to treat my fuel with anything.

If there truly was some magic additive that upped your mileage by 20% they wouldn't be calling you. Their phone would be ringing off the hook.

Tom the Sawyer

Kansas,

I think that same guy calls me about once per month.  Says I filled out a card somewhere (I never have) and starts in on his spiel.  I'm not sure where he got our numbers, perhaps a State listing or an internet search.  Most recent call was this morning. 

Each time I tell him that my truck and mill run on gas and I use less than 25 gallons of diesel a year for my forklift.  I tell him not to bother calling back but it doesn't do any good.

Its the same voice and accent each time, today he said he was Mike from Titan Farm Supply. 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Axe Handle Hound

I run straight diesel from the pump in my truck all winter here, no additives.  Haven't had a problem with gelling, but the stations here switch to a winter fuel blend starting around November and I understand that has the anti-gelling additives in it already.   

Kansas

Tom, I don't remember the name of the person, but I know the company was Titan Farm supply. A quick look and they don't appear to have a website.

We do use anti gelling additives from time to time. As volatile as Kansas is, sometimes they don't get switched to the winter blend if we have a real early winter.

Corley5

I run Sea Foam year round but use more in the winter.  I add a can every other fill up in the Dodge Cummins and the transfer tank in the winter and do it when I think about the rest of the year  ;D ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

maple flats

I've successfully used Power Service diesel additive for about 8 yrs for my tractors, excavator and generator. Never any gelling, but our lowest temp has only been about -10F. My truck used the winter blend from the pumps. Then this last spring I started getting some heavy sooting and black smoke out the truck exhaust pipe when climbing hills with a heavy load. I called my BIL who was a top notch diesel mechanic before he retired. He suggested I use Stanadyne. After the first tank full it quit the black smoking. I've used it every refill since. I don't yet know how the winter will be for gelling, I have added it to my diesel farm fuel tank at my last fill up. I don't know if I'll also add the power service for anti gell. I think I'll try without.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SPIKER

Not sure on them never heard of them but have been told the ATF mix helps low tech stuff and can help clean & lubricate upper ends.   SO I had a relatively clean used ATF that I went ahead and drained thru some of the shop rags and poured about a 1/2 quart into 5 gallons.   so far that mixture has not added any smoke to the exhaust and seems to run fine. 

I couldn't use the ATF (wrong type of ATF was put in when I popped a line but was only stuff store had when line blew off.)  I got home and went ahead and swapped it out for correct Mercron-V mix.   The GM brand was still pink and clean but figured the boxed shop rags would make sure no under-body rust could get in the fuel tank.   I ran that stuff thru the rags to be sure if was plenty clean.   Seemed to mix readily and has stayed mixed too so happy to get rid of the used ATF that way and make good use of it...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

tyb525

Stanadyne is one of the best additives IMO, the problem is I can only find it on the internet. I'll use Power Service in a pinch. On older diesels, the injection pumps are lubricated by the fuel. ULSD=low lubrication, so it will wear out these pumps faster. A lubrication additive of some sort is pretty much required in older diesels. 2 stroke oil is what I've been told, if you only want the lubrication. Additives like Stanadyne are a great idea IMO, to keep things a little more clean, and lubricated, why not?

A friend of mine told me I shouldn't use the newer ATF, something about the additives they have in it now are not good for your injection pump.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Gary_C

I have been getting the same caller for some years and have a long history of trying to stop their phone calls and lies. I think they have taken my card out of their files finally. I told them once that I had given their number to the feds and he just laughed and called me back with a caller id from the public library in some small town in Montana.

Many years ago I ordered a five gallon pail of their diesel fuel conditioner but told them that I had no credit card so they would have to send it COD which they did. When it came I just refused to pay and sent it back. Then when the owner of that crooked bunch of telemarketers called to ask why I had refused to pay, I told him it was to get their attention to stop calling. Boy did he get mad. But the calls kept coming.

So then I got so I could recognize their accents and spiel on the phone when they called. And I would just interrupt their spiel and say something like "Oh, it's you crooks again. What kind of crap are you selling this time."  :D

As far as the fuel conditioners, I do not use any and go thru a lot of diesel fuel in my transfer tank  and never have a problem, even in the cold of winter. Just change filters regularly and buy from good sources. It's real important to watch these off road machines with steel fuel tanks for condensation. If possible drain some fuel off the bottom of the tank in the fall to head off any problems in the cold.

I've never had a diesel fuel problem that could have been solved with fuel conditioners.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

ST Ranch

Agree with much of above - My friend is a Cummin's mechanic and with the low sulpher diesel, he says a "good reputable" lubricating additive is a must.  2 cylce oil is OK but does nothing to help water or gelling issues. I use Howes as well, all year long and also add a "good" 2 stroke oil for my gear fuel pumps in my JD and Bobcat.   Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Thank You Sponsors!