iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

aspen log furniture

Started by spencerhenry, March 06, 2005, 09:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

does anybody know what size "logs" manufacturers of log furniture use? as for aspen log furniture, is standing dead usable? i have lots of aspen of various size, but since a 10" tree on my property is about 90 years old, i dont like to cut much green. but recently found a very dense stand of 6" to 8" dbh 60' dead aspen. probably about 300 to 400 stems. looking for a market for them. (besides firewood)

Jeff

If you are talking of the rustic variety, sounds like you have just what you would need for building the stuff.  THe furniture that I see that looks so great is made out of dead wood. Its then hand peeled (if there is any bark on it) with a draw knife.  6 or 8 inch should be a good size for bed posts. And the crooked stuff? Thats the good stuff.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

6-8" is good for bed posts and the like.  Lee Valley Tool has a great affordable tenon cutter up to two inches, you'll need to pear them down on the bandsaw before using the cutter. Aspen is OK, little soft but at hat dimension should be fine for a Bed,iffin your not newly weds ;). Just make sure you kill all the "tenants" before you bring it inside. :D

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

Actually, right now aspen is more then O.K., its the rage in rustic furniture, at least in this part of the country. Many of our northern "lodge look" shops are beginning to carry it over shadowing northern white cedar. Northern white cedar is actually softer then aspen.  We were in the big Cabella's store in Dundee before Christmas, and that is all they were stocking.

Do a google search on aspen rustic furniture and you wil get hundreds of ideas on how your aspen could be used in furniture

Ironwood

Troll basher, spam fighter, take no prisoners, JEFF,

I say OK because asthetically smaller diameter is usually better, at least if you don't  want chuncky clunky. Big is good for some apps. I am used to Ironwood, or American Hornbeam, so it gives me the option of small diameter vwhere it is best. Chairs are tough to build in large diameters if you want to persue any kind of artistic grace.

Just my take, REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

I was looking at 6 to 8 inch, trees you end up with a ton of smaller stuff to do anything you want.   :)

Jeff

spencerhenry

i found a potential buyer. problem is i am at a loss as for what the going rate is. he is looking for 3" to 5" x 7', and 5" to 12" x 8'. i have the product, but need to find out what it is actually worth besides as fuel wood. anybody got any ideas? i have checked many websites to try to find out what it actually sells for but have had no luck as of yet.

Jeff

well, the last I knew we were paying $110 a cord for 10 foot saw logs and $100 for 8 foot.  What you have would be sold as pulp and I dont have pulp prices, but Ron Scott may. This is all for this area though.  My first instinct would be its worth 60 to 85 bucks a cord.

Woodcarver

The last I heard aspen bolts (8', 8" diameter) were about $90.00/cord here and pulp was around $70.00.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ron Scott

~Ron

Rancher

I've sold aspen to some of the furniture guys around here. Every time you turn around there is another one in business. Seems everybody moving out of town and into the country wants rustic. Anyway, about $60 a pickup load. Some have had to have a sitter with them to keep from leaving too big of a mess.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Thank You Sponsors!