iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita Cordless (18v X 2) Chainsaw & compatable tools

Started by mredden, March 11, 2019, 04:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mredden

I am considering getting the Makita top handle 12 inch chainsaw that uses two 18 volt Lithium Ion batteries. My needs are: (1) a light, quiet limber for urban work and (2) a quiet edger for up-to- 4-inch-thick live edge flitches that I want to convert into lumber in the backyard of my residential neighborhood.

My reasoning for looking at the Makita is that I can use the same batteries in a large variety of other tools that they make. Up til now, my only cordless tools are a couple of drills that are about two years old. I'm ready to start looking at other cordless tools and would like to stay with one bran (battery) as much as possible.

Is the saw decent for rip/edging 4 inch hardwood? What's the largest hardwood limb that is practical for for cross-cutting with this saw? are chains readily available and how well do they sharpen?

Other thoughts positive and negative???

Drew62

Dont go there mate,its heavy and wide across the beam,if we are talking about the same saw,its also got a brushed motor,so inefficient.The chain speed is criminally slow-so therefore snatchy and yuck to use.As I mentioned on another thread-either buy/or wait for the makita duc254 18v top-handled saw.As good imo as the stihl/husky variants.Fast chain speed/slim profile/brushless motor/lanyard/adj.oiler,power off Top button for safety.+a turbo button for hard/knotty stuff.
A slave to the machines.

Drew62

As an afterthought,I looked at the stihl system for battery-powered tools, (and I speak here as someone who has spent thousands on stihl petrol machines).It just didnt make sense to spend loads on batteries that charge fairly slowly,a new charger system etc.Like you,I have lots of makita workshop stuff-and its solid.I just keep a twin rapid charger at home which will fully juice up 2x4 ah batteries in 20 mins odd.I carry 6 batteries in the car to juice up a mak hedgetrimmer/a mak b/cutter+the 18v chainsaw,then top them up at home,imo a good system,the sweet spot seems to be 5ah batts-4 are ok.6amp are stupidly pricey at the mo.
A slave to the machines.

Southside

I picked up a Kobalt 80V chainsaw as part of a package deal when I needed a hedge trimmer, my wife said she would like it for when a piece of firewood is too long, figured it was cheap enough. Well, it now lives by my LT70 for nipping off flitches, trimming bundles, etc. It's not a 372, but sure is a stout little saw, even with the junky safety chain it came with. 

I have gone to Milwaukee 18v fuel for all of my real cordless tools, they seem to be the leader these days in that field. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Drew62

Not familiar with kobalt,over here ego seem to be picking up market share.Its clever marketing in a sense,once you've plumped for a brand and bought a few batteries and are reasonably happy with the system,I would think you are locked in,and very unlikely to jump ship.I buy both genuine makita batteries and also copy batteries-and have had no issues with the copies.Say a genuine mak 5 ah is £50,you will get 2 5ah copy batteries for the same money,shop wisely tho!
A slave to the machines.

Inaotherlife

The rear handle Makita looks pretty nice.
Makita DUC353Z Twin 18v / 36v LXT Cordless 35cm Chainsaw Lithium Ion - YouTube
I was tempted to buy a lightly used corded Makita uc4030a from the HD rental department for $106, and think it would probably be a better option for light milling.
Makita UC4030A - YouTube

So far my Echo 58v 4ah weedwacker has done a decent job, and I imagine the chainsaw that uses these batteries would be alright too.
They also have a blower and lawnmower powered by these batteries, and maybe some other garden tools.

Old Greenhorn

I was at work today and was on a BtoB website making some tool purchases for the shop. Somehow (I really can't explain or recall how it happened) I wound up looking at a page full of chainsaws and this supplier carries  a LOT of electric saws of many brands. What jumped out at my eye was that the rpm (chainspeed) varies WIDELY on these saws and that Makita's was low compared to the others. Watching the video above I could see where I would fall asleep waiting for it to get through a 5" limb. Not making judgements, just suggesting you look at the RPM's these saws develop before you plunk down your hard earned money. There might be an electric in my future, but it is a year or two off yet, just reading and learning until the time comes.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Air Lad

Been a bit interested in DUC353 mostly because I have about 7 batteries in this brand for my work tools. Coudn't hear the motor/cutting sound over the top of the loud promo music on the vid
A good point about chain speed
Like Ina I will wait and see for now
But still quite interested pc_smiley

Bthomasb3

I am a full time professional carpenter plumber electrician and a tool whore.I would stay away from the makita tools myself i purchased some 2 years ago and this past summer they all crapped out including the batteries so i switched to dewalt 20 and 60 volt stuff and couldnt be happier 17 tools 16 batteries and 5 grand later. that said if buying a cordless chainsaw and want to buy other tools with the same battery i would go with milwaukee .In my lousey opinion the Milwaukee cordless chainsaw is the best on the market that can also be used with drills ect otherwise i would buy a stihl cordless.for cutting live edge slabs Skillsaw makes a carpentry chainsaw google it , it might work better than a regular saw. Even a circular saw if your not cutting slabs to thick although they do make 16 1/4 inch circular saws
Ps. I didnt and wouldnt buy the dewalt cordless 60 volt saw.  Good luck

Thank You Sponsors!