iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toyota's Problems

Started by DouginUtah, March 10, 2010, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Well, I made it. took the Highlander out and tried all the tricks much to my wife's displeasure. With my left  foot on the brake and right one pressing the gas the car didn't move. Out on the highway  shifting into neutral worked just fine and the brakes quickly stopped the car even when I held the gas pedal down.

Car and Driver did the same test with 3 different cars including a 540 HP Roush Mustang.

Take a look.  http://tiny.cc/moO09

And here's a demo in a Prius.

http://tiny.cc/8fDPl
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ron Wenrich

I saw where they have tested the Prius in question.  They can't get it to accelerate.  When they push the brake and the accelerator, the engine shuts down like its supposed to do. 

The driver was afraid to put the car into neutral because he feared it would flip over.  I'm trying to figure out how that would happen or how anyone would even think it would happen. 

They're also going to be testing a couple of other cars that people said had the accelerator stick.  Should be interesting to see how many of these claims turn out to be bogus.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I see on the national news this morning they are stopping just short of calling the guy a fraud. I suspect many of them will be bogus, or operator error.

There are people that just don't like to admit when they do something stupid and blame it on what ever excuse first pops into their mind.  

There are times when just weird things happen. Tammy had one happen many years ago while driving the bus, and because of her actually reporting the facts and her activism to make sure it never happened to any of her fellow drivers, it lead to a stricter footwear code while driving for that district.

One day she happened to be wearing hiking boots.  Heavy healed and soled shoes. Not high heels, but just real thick heavily treaded soles over all.  Anyhow, she had her foot slip off the side of the accelerator and get wedged between the gas and the brake, trying to wiggle her foot out only pushed the accelerator down harder.  She had the presence of mind to push in the clutch and pull off. She didn't have kids on and was transporting a bus to have some other repairs done out of town. I was following her a little ways back to pick her up after delivering the bus and was wondering what the heck was going on when the bus swerved a few times, then pulled off, then pulled back on continuing normally. It gave her quite a scare and me something to razz her about.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warren

It is true that production will cease at the NUMMI facility in the next few weeks.  Been there several times.  The IT area is directly over the union hall.  Had several friends work there over the years.   Had several friends at affected Tier1 suppliers as well.  Any time that a large facility such as NUMMI shuts down, it has a negative impact on a great number of people and families. 

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that GM walked away from NUMMI (and 13 other plants) last year in their haste to belly up to the "Bail Out" hog trough....  My understanding, Toyota spent several months working with the union, the state and the feds to find a solution to save the plant and the jobs.  To the Japanese, a plant closure is a major disgrace.  GM on the other hand...  never looked back...

And THAT is the last I will say on this subject.   :-X    I wish all Forumites the best of health, and the best of luck with their vehicles, regardless of what they choose to drive !

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

ARKANSAWYER

Maybe it is because Toyota is not union that the press and the GOV are busting their chops so hard.  I was a UAW member one time and hope to never be one again.  I will be the first to admit that at one time they were needed.  Now they are just a drain on your paycheck and the reason so many jobs have gone over seas.  If I was to go buy a Toyota it would be becasue they are not union made but, made in america.  If they came out with a one ton desiel I would sure look at it.

ARKANSAWYER

Chris Burchfield

After high school graduation 1976, I purchased a 1977 F-150 made notes to the bank @ $124. a month.  1978 I married my beautiful brown eyed, brunette sweetheart.  1979 we married and purchased a 1979 Toyota Corolla.  We didn't have a pot to pith in when we got married. 900 square foot in a one bedroom apartment.  Back then the thought was you didn't want a U.S. car that was built on Friday cause the workers were watching the clock for beer thirty.  You didn't want a car built on Monday cause the workers all had hangovers.  Course, you really didn't have any idea when the car was built.  At the time, U.S. cars had a bad reputation of lax tolerances for machining or the assembly line.  It was thought that the Asian market had much closer tolerances for manufacturing.  The truth is Germany has been on top for machining tolerances for leap years ahead of the world.  The Asians did offered a better product at a lesser price, especially for a young married couple.  It took a couple of years but, the U.S. car manufacturers realized they were below the curve on their products.  The U.S. manufacturers retooled and re-schooled in the early eighties throughout industry, not just automotive.  I think Toyota became overcome with greed and lost sight of good product and safety.  All my automobiles since the Toyota have been American made.  Buick, Ford and Dodge. My prayer these days include to protect the owners of the Toyota cars and passengers, protect the innocent in conflicts overseas and bring our troops home safely and in tact.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

inghamb87

I heard they recalled two Tundras... yup two. I read it this morning somewhere...if I come across the link I will be sure to drop it here. I find it pretty weird.

easymoney

i wonder what they plan to do with those tundras when they get them back?

bl73

This is from March 10,

USA Today adds, "Toyota is going to expand its recall of the 2000 to 2003 Tundra pickup to
include the entire country -- not just 20 cold-weather states."

Pickuptrucks.com says, "Owners of Tundras originally sold or currently registered in the remaining 30 states will be notified by Toyota in the coming weeks. In the original recall, corrosion could lead to spare tires falling from the vehicle's underside, as well as excessive corrosion affecting brake lines and fuel tank straps."

The Detroit News points out that the Tundra has been an expensive and problematic model for Toyota. "Toyota spent more than a decade edging into the market with two smaller pickups before the 2007 Tundra, only to have its self-proclaimed most important vehicle ever for the U.S. run headlong into stronger competitors, a stumbling economy, a market shift away from pickups and now the company's own quality problems." The News adds, "With around $6 billion spent on the Tundra and more than 8 million vehicles now recalled for a variety of defects, it's worth asking whether Toyota's big pickup was a considered strategic move or a costly detour."

If you own Tundra and have questions about the recall, contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.

Hilltop366

I don't have one (Toyota) but I don't see any one else recalling there rusty trucks unless it has to do with polution control, If Ford, GM, or Dodge recalled there 10 year old rusty trucks around here they would get most of them back. I think it is mostly some elected people and the press trying to keep a story alive for the $$ or air time.  Ford fought hard not to recall trucks for tierod ends that won't last as long as a set of tires (the ball joints are not much better) , I know of two 2007 GM trucks one with 70000k the other with 40000K that the front end would not pass safety inspection last summer. Dodge would not repaint trucks that the paint fell off as you drive down the road. If I was getting a new one I think I would rather have a truck from a company that is willing to take responsibilty for their product.

My thoughts on the subject for what it worth.

ARKANSAWYER

Seems the Lady who's car took off on her and hit a stone wall had her foot on the gas and not on the brake the whole time.   ::)  ::)    Seems the guy's car out in California could stop?  I am sure there is a problem but the press is sure bad for Toyota.
ARKANSAWYER

tractormanNwv

About a Year ago My Eldest Stepdaughter was Driving down I-64 to Work when another Vehicle pulled along side and started blowing the Horn and waving, Telling Her to Pull over which Scared Her of course but the Men Seem to be Legitimate so She pulled over and Long story Short Cried Her Eyes out as Her Car Burned to the Ground on the Interstate. It was a 2000 Camry, She Bought another Toyota, 2009 model Camry, and it Really makes You Wonder what's Going on.Honestly I don't care for a Reostat on a Gas Pedal on any Vehicle.

easymoney

now any time a toyota is involved in an accident it will be blamed on a fault in the car never driver error.
it is easy for even an experienced driver to get excited and do the wrong thing when the unexpected happens.
i still do not understand that fellow in california. i think he decided he hated toyota for some reason. or maybe he just decided he was unhappy with that car and took it out on the car.

stonebroke

I don't think a car burning to the ground is driver error.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

:D I know of a feller in town, went to school with him, who took his mother's car out one weekend. He got a little tipsy I think, but the car quit. He got out and jumped up and down on the roof and caved it in.  :D :D Car's fault for p'ing him off. :D He always was one crazy fellow. Makes life fun as my uncle would say.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tractormanNwv

Sometimes in order for Us to take a Step Forward We need to take a Step back first, Personally I Feel thats Toyota's problem....To much Technology....I have really never Heard of Anyone Saying anything negative about Toyota till Recently. And as Far as My Stepdaughter's Toyota Burning is Concerned, I'm not SAYING that it's Toyota's fault, but when it's YOUR Family Member that has a problem with all thats going on it makes You Think.

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!