iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini log Loaders

Started by ncresen, April 04, 2018, 11:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncresen

I am new to this so don't laugh too hard.

I have been getting calls to cut logs/trees that have fallen down because of windstorms. The homeowners do not
want their yards torn up by big equipment. So I am looking at log arches and mini Log loaders which can come into
a yard and pull out logs without damaging yards too much. Wanting to find out what log loaders you would recommend?

mike_belben

What do you have for equipment now?  Whats your primary business specialty and whats the budget?  

Your not gonna pay for the logs right.. Just come get em?

Can you weld/fab?
Praise The Lord

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

barbender

Atv and arch, they also make a grapple for the mini skid loaders like a Toro Dingo that would be slick.
Too many irons in the fire

Crusarius

for what you are describing I bet the log arch and ATV / garden tractor would work the best. But I would almost want a log arch I could steer cause you know you are going to have some super tight yards you will be in.

I am guessing you want to keep log length trees and not just buck everything for firewood?

Wallys World

You mean like this?
I use this in the woods, and on the road.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Riwaka

Put down some machine mats so you can use as big as a machine as is necessary to ensure your safety and limit the damage to the yard etc.
Do the home owners want you to grind/ dig out the stump or fill in the hole if the tree tipped on the root plate etc?

teakwood

i don't know how much experience you have with a chainsaw but trees blown over by wind and storm are the most dangerous type of logging and have to be done with lots of precaution!!

It's very dangerous
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

thecfarm

ncresen.welcome to the forum.
I have no idea. BUT from what others that do it,that are members,the customers wants thier lawn to look like you have never been there and the tree had never been there either. Yes,it can be done,but how long does it take to do that? Takes time and the right equipment. Removing a whole tree,limbs and all takes time.
Also watch out for the tire kickers. They all ready got a quote of $3000,just a made up figure from me, to do the clean up. They want it done much cheaper.  ::)  I have a sawmill and only saw for myself. Most times when the tire kickers found out about it they want me to saw for them. I just give them some stupid high price and they stop kicking quick.  
But saying all that Farma on the left side here has some nice stuff.
Kinda curious,why are they callling you? Have a sawmill,firewood business?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Yeah, it definitely slows the rate of production to a crawl trying to untangle everything and make paths.  Blowdown usually ensures lots of split butts.  You can count your chickens on the firewood at a glance but there is always a loss rate on sawlogs that isnt seen until sawn apart.  Many great looking storm trees go over due to unseen hollows and ant farms.

You will go broke doing storm cleanup "for the wood" on residentual sites unless for the very rare landowner who says 'just help me get rid of this big stuff and ill do the rest.'  I mean its fine to do for free if you really need firewood and otherwise would be buying it.  But if not, you need to charge atleast enough for your expenses.  You cant bank on sawlogs from storm sites.  Its just luck when you get a few.
Praise The Lord

TKehl

These would be good to start with.  

https://logrite.com/store/Item/tractor-arches
https://logrite.com/store/Item/fetching-arch
https://logrite.com/store/Item/ATV-Arch

Get it to the road, then use bigger equipment if you already have it.  Or a flatbed trailer if you don't.

I use one of these:

Originally used for moving propane tanks.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

John Mc

One post from the OP, and then never heard from again. I'm curious what he ended up with. Are you around @ncresen ?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Joined,posted,left. All in the same day. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chet

I had ta go take a look  ;D      last active, Today 10/20/2018 at 04:24:17 PM
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

thecfarm

What a wonder 2½ hours make. ;D 

John Mc

I was hoping he had turned on email notifications, so when I tagged him he might get an alert.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Treepro123

I just joined the forum myself.  Been reading for years.  If someone is going to ask a question at least have the decency to say thank you for the input or say what you ended up doing.  Oh well.

Magicman

Well put Treepro123, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Anyone can ask a question but the answers are for everyone.  Heck, I learn something every day from reading responses from members here with varied knowledge and experience.  As you mentioned; follow up is a vital element of communication.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

This forwarding trailer is my latest addition: Metavic M95 loader on their 13RF trailer. (recently purchased from Forestry Forum member @WoodstockVT . Shown here behind his tractor. I don't have any action shots of my own yet.)

I'm guessing this is overkill (both price-wise and size-wise) for what the @ncresen  is considering. They make a lighter trailer, but even that may be overkill. I'm thinking an ATV (or compact tractor) with a good logging arch is the way to go for pulling trees out of yards while leaving minimal signs you were there.

thecfarm

Good size log you got up in the air there. 

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on October 31, 2018, 02:06:16 PM
Good size log you got up in the air there.
That was the previous owner. My tractor is on loan to a friend who is digging a garage foundation and doing some long-overdue driveway maintenance. I can't get my truck out on to the trails on my property: one way is too wet, the other is still waiting for me to build a bridge.

Puffergas

I don't understand the language but kind of interesting machine.

Smart Fordson-skotare! - YouTube
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

jimbarry

If the ground is soft I'll drop down plywood sheets. But the MTL has the same compression as that of a 400lb man with a size 12 foot. So relatively low impact. Its only if you have to turn a bit when the damage can occur.

Treepro123

Hello magicman, thanks for the welcome.

Thank You Sponsors!