iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood shaver

Started by Quebecnewf, February 04, 2006, 10:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

I think i may have seen something on this in a past thread. i am looking for a device to make long curley woodshavings for bedding etc. As I said I thought there was a thread on this . Can someone help on this.

Paul

Coon

Some kind of planer is what you would need as they are what throw shavings like you are looking for.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Cedarman

There are some old machines out there that made excelsior shavings.  I looked for one for some time, but never had any luck.  Saw one in Georgia that a guy that made cedar shavings had.  He didn't use it to make shavings though.  It was just setting there.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Quebecnewf

What i am looking for is a machine that would make shavings (not the right word) similar to the type that you see things come packed in. Sometimes you see fancy jam baskets that are lined with this stuff. It sort of looks like straw but its not.

Paul

beenthere

That 'straw-like' wood is excelsior, as cedarman mentioned. Still sell it, made from aspen
aspen excelsior

So I suspect the machines are possibly still made. Used to be a factory around Oshkosh, WI that produced it and sold it in bales (like a normal hay bale).  We'd buy them for archery backstops.

A photo of a W.W. Carey excelsior machine is shown here
excelsior machine
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed_K

Paul, look up Salsco they are in conn. They have 2 or 3 different sizes of shaving machines.
Ed K

DoubleD

I don't know if this machine fit your need, but it is a dedicated shaving mill take a look at Jackson shaving mil
Wannabe a sawmiller

Thank You Sponsors!