iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulics and power?

Started by paul case, August 29, 2010, 03:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

i am thinking of adding the pineywoods clamp and turner to my mill and had a queston er actually 2.

#1  i have opportunity to trade wood for a 12v hyd. and 1 cylinder. double acting. my mill is a ez boardwalk 20 hp honda stationary set up. will the mag on this motor keep the battery charged enough to use it as the power source for this? or should i go for another battery and a charger?

#2  would it be more cost effective to get a electric motor and run an external hyd pump for the turner?   i already have a dual spool open center valve for the turner. how big an motor for how big a pump?

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sgschwend

I think your hydraulic devices are all sawmill frame parts, so you want an external source and not use the sawhead.

I went with an 11 gallon per minute flow rate.  Which is primarily driven by the hydraulic motors requirements. 

That would be a motor at or above 1.1 cu.  Then I decided since the cost was the same for a 3 cu motor to purchase that and then turn the pump at lower rpm, which would be quieter.  My plan is to be able to run two hydraulic motors so I will have the pump that can do it if I need it to.  I used SurplusCenter.com.

I also purchased a Prince external pressure relief valve so that I can make sure the pump is not over pressured which is the way to kill them quickly.  Yes, you most likely have a pressure relief valve in that spool valve but it is nice to T off and run other hydraulic devices and so putting a relief valve in at the pump makes sense because it will protect the pump under all use conditions.

Motors need 1/2 lines, so that is the size valve you need.

If you go with electric motor (which would be nice) you could go with an on demand switch, the valve can be setup to hold the cylinder or motor in position. 

As to motor size, my guess without looking it up:
If you were going to use a gasoline engine 5-6hp would do it.
On a 110/220V electric that would put you at about 3 hp.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

pineywoods

Paul, I don't think you would be happy with the 12 volt hydraulic power pack. Those guys pull in the neighborhood of 300 amps, read big battery, heavy cables and heavy solenoids. You most certainly would have to go with an external charger, no way will that little 20 amp alternator keep up.  For about the same money  you can get a 2 or 3 hp electric motor and a small 3 gpm pump. A 1hp motor will work if it's a slower turning 1750 rpm, but it will be a little on the slow side. With the bigger motor turning 3450 rpm you can still use the 3 gpm pump and have much better response. I built 3 of these units over a long period of time. Each one was an improvement over the earlier one.

1. 1hp motor 1750 rpm 3 gpm pump....works but slow

2. 2 hp motor 3450 rpm 3 gpm pump...  better

3. 3 hp motor 3450 rpm 3 gpm pump...if the log don't turn, the mill will.

IT ain't rocket science, just DO IT, you'll never be sorry  ;D

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gator gar

Isn't hydraulics like fluid displacement?? I'm putting a 12 volt pump on my mill with a 1.3 GPM pushing a 2 inch cylinder.  There is 277 cubic inches in a gallon plus a 3rd more which would be 370 cubic inches per minute, displacing the inside of just 1 cylinder at a time which shouldn't be but a few cubic inches driving the piston upwards.  Looks like it would be pretty fast to me. I could raise the cylinder several times if not more, in a minutes time.

bandmiller2

Paul,by all means use a 110 or 220v motor ,have a handy on off switch no need to run it all the time.The size motor and pump Piney mentioned are spot on I used a 1 1/2 hp motor for my two plain clamp, it could work a little faster. Good form to adjust the relief valve to bleed off before things start bending .Frank C
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!