iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log home/Timber Framing Show

Started by Larry, April 16, 2003, 04:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Heard on the radio today that there is a log home and timber frame show in Kansas City Missouri at Bartle Hall April 25 to 27th.  Said they had timber framing literature and tools.  Sorta suspect it is going to be a bunch of log home dealers trying to sell something but you can check out this link if your interested.

http://www.loghomeliving.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=1D7E12A9D1944EB7B69F99E5F5DAEC67&type=gen&mod=Core%20Pages&gid=C894CB3E5E464463B7D8F5C3E63C9167

I have always been interested in timber framing but don't know a thing about it.  Maybe I can learn something here.

Thanks for the new forum Jeff.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

I'm enjoying it. I know absolutely squat!  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Greg

QuoteHeard on the radio today that there is a log home and timber frame show in Kansas City Missouri at Bartle Hall April 25 to 27th.  Said they had timber framing literature and tools.  Sorta suspect it is going to be a bunch of log home dealers trying to sell something but you can check out this link if your interested.

http://www.loghomeliving.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=1D7E12A9D1944EB7B69F99E5F5DAEC67&type=gen&mod=Core%20Pages&gid=C894CB3E5E464463B7D8F5C3E63C9167

Larry,

FYI the show is coming through Cincinnati the weekend of April 24th. I've gone to a couple of these over the years but have been kinda disappointed.

First, I want to build timber frames, not buy one. This is primaril a sales show, not much hands on building stuff.

Second, the booths represented (at the shows I attended) were about 90% log homes, 10% timber frames.

Third, even the few timber frame builders that are there typically don't want anything to do with owner builders.

Sometimes they have some interesting frame assembly demos and hands on junk, so if your just getting your feet wet it might be worth blowing an afternoon on.

Cheers,
Greg

Haytrader

The wife and I went to a Home and Garden Show earlier this year in Wichita, Ks. . There were two vendors there selling timber frame buildings. One of them put on a seminar and showed lots of slides and talked about procedures. We found it very interesting. I think they were from NE Kansas and they showed pics of some timber frames they had put up in Texas. I will try to come up with a name for those interested.
Haytrader

gyppo_forester

I went to the same show a few weeks ago in Portland, Oregon. I'd say about a third of the companies there were timber frame with the rest being log. Lots of other related companies had booths as well (Wood Mizer was even there).The show definitely was intended to be a sales pitch but I still got something out of it.

Many of the log home companies that operate nationwide were there (Lincoln Logs, others) but they didn't seem interested in talking to me when they found out I plan on building it myself. Their booths were staffed by slick sales people who knew more about financing and contracts than about log notches.

The local or regional companies were a big help. They let me ask all kinds of questions and got into plenty of detail with the sample construction they had on site and pictures they had brought. These folks really love what they do and enjoy sharing with anyone who is interested in trying out the same building techniques themselves.

If nothing else, I got lots of ideas and a few brochures on fixtures and finishing details for my future log home. I found I have 100 dollar tastes on a 10 cent budget. Enjoy!

Terry

Vermonter

If you are interested in Timber framing related shows, Saturday, June 7th there is an event scheduled for current and perspective owners of Peterson Sawmills in Norton Massachusetts, and we wish to invite any Forestry Forum users to come.  Available for demonstration are the 8" ATS mill and both the 8" and 10" versions of the WPF mill.   These mills can saw unlimited length timbers, and they are working on a prototype that will saw 'skin panels full length.

Please come join us for discussions and demonstrations of techniques and current available upgrades including the electric winch for the WPF.  For more information, directions, and to RSVP for lunch email me direct or check out Peterson's US site (link below).  Hope you can make it!  

Your host; Captain: timberpro@AOL.com
http://www.petersonmills.com/centers.html
New homestead

UNCLEBUCK

www.foxmaple.com  has timber framing workshops all over the country , ok !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

FeltzE

We went to the show in Greensboro NC and the sales people really didn't want to talk to us about any thing not relating to the sale-ability of their product. A couple of the folks asked if we wanted to be a distributor of their product.

We were looking for a company who is interested in selling us the shop drawings and blueprints for a house where we could pick the design and then using their plans cut and build the building ourselves. I think we found one taker.

We did get some call backs as we droped our business cards at several booths they were to some degree interested in our capabilities.

Eric and Michelle

logman

Eric,
    You can buy shop drawings for stock plans or get custom
drawings from Cowee Mountain Timber Framers or Goshen
Timber Frames.  They are both in Franklin, NC.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Thank You Sponsors!