iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jointing Knives

Started by Paul_H, February 05, 2004, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I have been wanting to attach a jointer bar to my planer for quite awhile but haven't been able to find any pictures of a jointer bar.
I went and saw a freind the other day in Squamish,who has a Berlin 108 Moulder.He has it stripped down right now because he re-babbited the whole machine.I knew that he had a jointer bar and attachment set up on the machine for jointing his knives.

The 108 was built sometime around the 1920's.It is a far more sophisticated machine than mine,and has some really nice features for adjusting the heads while the machine is running.

This picture is of the top head.Brett has the bar in his hand and is ready to lay it across the machine and set it in the homemade brackets

The bar has a dovetail milled the length of it and the jointer slides along it.

I am hoping that some of you can help me with the terminology and methods for jointing the knives.It has been hard to find any help from the planer supply houses.

Brett gave me a Jointer stone holder that our local Machinist is going to help me with.He measured up the planer today and is going to mill a dovetail bar to run the holder on.Once that is done we will mount the hold down brackets and shim to specs.

This is the holder that Brett gave me.My son is pointing at the hole for the stone.
What is the proper name for the stone holder? Is it a Jointer?

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

I sure wish I could help you, Paul. :-/  I am sure you will find the answer before the weekend is over.  ;D
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!