iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler Blower Maintenance

Started by stumper, November 18, 2012, 08:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

mojam
Your comment makes good sense to me. They don't look like oil ports and depending on what is behind those holes shown, any oil may just cause more problems than solve i.e. getting oil to a bearing. I'd strongly suspect they are sealed bearings.
Anyone had the motor apart to observe if there is a tube to the bearing or shaft? Or at least a wick?
Brings up some interesting thoughts as to what is going on with these motors.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AsaG

In light of some of the bologna I've gotten from CB over the years and the fact I have a rather lengthy history with Fasco, I'll go with what the manufacturer of the motor/blower states about maintenance.

A closed system?!?!?  End view of motor.  Shaft end is open as well.  If you look closely through the ventilation holes in the area of the oiling port, a small stamped 'tube' can be seen leading from the motor's shell to the bearing packing area.   Sorry, couldn't get a picture of it due to the angle and taking apart the motor isn't an option. In a bygone era, this tube was external.

CB is correct about maintenance not being required but the manufacturer of the blower/motor recommends it for longevity.  CB also has a solution for those who choose not to oil - they'll sell you a new one for around 100 bucks.   ;)   My 10/10 unit doesn't mention oiling either but applying a few drops quieted the blower motor to like-new sound levels.

Done all I can do here so good luck and happy Thanksgiving to all.   smiley_turkey_dancing

mojamboo

UPDATE!!!

Cb called me back (see above). The now say that YES you are supposed to oil the blower twice a year, and that they were going to update their users manual to this end.  I will be saving this voice mail to get a new blower and then I can take care of it right from the start. We had already made comments to dealer regarding noises from the blower as if it was out of Grease or a leaf stuck in it. Now we know why. Cb said we can go through them for warrenty directly.  I will first try dealer if the labor is free. If not I will have cb send it to us and swap it myself.

Wish I wasn't dealing with this, but it still functions, and good on cb for following up on the issue and standing behind their product.

stumper

Are you implying that CB will warranty my blower?  Somehow I doubt that.

By the way the cost for the pump from my dealer was $130.00 and $160.00 from another dealer.  We have discussed the fact that the blower is available for $65 to 70 elswhere.  He shared that his cost on the blower was more then that.

mojamboo

Cb said dealer can ok the warrenty claim, and my dealer said tonight that it has all be recorded on our file and we won't be hung out to dry, even if we have future blower problems.  (all saved voicemails, one from dealer, one from cb). So far so good, our dealer seems like good people and they have a big cb install base in northern vt.

The dealer still said he didnt think they were oil ports, but was going to talk to cb.  I still took it out and oiled it today anyway.  So long as it's covered I gave it a shot, and it could have been psycological but I thought it sounded better once I reattached the blower.

Hey - who knows, but I figure we all share our experiences and learn.

I do agree that if out of warranty we can get the parts cheaper 3rd party. Only hangup us the connector between the blower and the panel, but I am sure it could be done.

thecfarm

I will still put the oil to mine,no matter what the hole don't look like.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

when i get some time ill take apart the old moter and see if these are oil ports.
a lil oil in the moter now untill proved wont hunt nothing. ill probally use gun oil or air tool oil

firechief

I found some 3 in 1 brand oil specifically for motors at Lowes for a couple bucks that I used.

stumper

I did take apart my bad motor and they are oil ports. 

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: stumper on November 26, 2012, 05:34:18 PM
I did take apart my bad motor and they are oil ports.

Well thats good to know. How do they work? just a open tube pointing down into a bearing race?

stumper

Tube to a bearing, with an absorbent material to hold the oil.  No roller or ball bearings.

titanic

have e classic 1450, 3rd winter using it.  NO mention of oiling blower fan.  Mine stopped working, seized up, was very hot, took it off, oiled it with marvel mystery oil and it started up.  Dealer just says its not under warranty, very disappointed with cb, if they don't give us the proper info to maintain their products they should cover it!  oiling is needed

rhino135

Thanks for the tip I just replaced my blower motor on my heat source out door wood stove.
Did not know there were oil ports on the motor, mine lasted 7 years.
Thanks for the info.

Logging logginglogging

Gun oil or Air tool oil seems to work well. That's what I have been using for years.

beenthere

Don't let the Blue Creeper get by without a chance to do that oiling for you. I've witnessed some pretty impressive results using it where other oils just don't penetrate well. Give it a shot.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I use Sea Foam aerosol lubricant/penetrant on the blower on my Heatmaster.  With the red plastic straw I can get the stuff where it needs to be.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

hedgerow

Zoom oil comes in a small plastic bottle with a long tube that pulls out the bottle. I have been oiling fasco  fan motors in the heating, cooling and refrigeration world for almost 40 years they are a good motor but probably the least maintain. I would hate think how many fan motors on condensing units I have gave a couple drops of oil to the motor in the middle of the night to get the unit going and out of alarm and go back later and change the fan and service the unit correctly. There are a lot of techs that don't know those motors need oiled. 

Thank You Sponsors!