iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler E-Classic 3200 or Classic 7260

Started by Crhall, March 03, 2015, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crhall

So talking with my local dealer, I have a week or two to order a Classic boiler if that is the route I decide to go. I've tried to do as much research as I can, but still having a very hard time deciding between the two. I understand the E-classic takes a little more attention, The way you load, rake coals, how much you put in, size of wood, how its split, and most important how dry it is. This sounds like a lot of headaches to me. But on the other hand, using up to 40% less wood than the classic sounds unbelievable to me!! Now with the classic, being able to throw whatever kind of wood in, less attention, larger chucks, is also a huge plus! I'm torn hard what way is best to go. I have access to as much wood as i'll ever need, Although my time is very valuable as I do not have much of it! From most people, all I hear is, "jump on a classic before you can't buy them"!! But on the other hand you hear them say, My boiler eats tons of wood!! I'm going to be heating a older large farm house, very poor insulation, along with radiant floor heat in a 40x72 shop. So its going to be a lot of wood consumption a year period, So any help, thoughts, input, or advice anyone has on these burners would be great to help me make a decision on the classic vs E-classic.
Thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Decisions, decisions...  And you will need to decide if cutting extra wood or spending extra time operating and maintaining the new gasser is in your future. Both will take time, and not be as convenient as running a gas or oil system.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crhall

Thanks, I guess one thing that would really help make the decision is what actual wood savings would be for my application, All applications are different so this is a tuff one. One main problem I see is I'm always in a hurry, how much longer does it take to load a e-classic? Is it a 20-30min ordeal each time you load going through the whole process? The classic is throw wood in close door and done right? I'm making few more calls today, talk with some people that own CB, Problem is I think most of them own a Classic so they may be a bit bias toward them.

beenthere

QuoteOne main problem I see is I'm always in a hurry,

Getting over that problem should, IMO, be your first priority. Burning wood isn't something that may work for you. It comes with some dedication of time and effort that cannot be avoided. Again, IMO.

And too many variables to consider to answer the "actual wood savings" question. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I'm running a 6048. It takes 5 minutes twice a day to throw a full load of pine slabs in. I'm burning ash right now, and it takes about 5 minutes ten minutes twice a day to bust 30"-36" rounds in halves or quarters and pop them in. Additional time for log procurement is required, obviously. I have a poorly insulated cape and two car garage I'm heating, and when it gets cold, I can burn almost a half cord of pine slabs a day. Not sure on the ash, but I'm sure I could burn a cord and a half a week, just guessing. I have no experience with the E series, but not burning so much wood and not creating the amount of smoke that a Classic can on occasion is appealing to me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crhall

Quote from: beenthere on March 04, 2015, 10:20:59 AM
QuoteOne main problem I see is I'm always in a hurry,

Getting over that problem should, IMO, be your first priority. Burning wood isn't something that may work for you. It comes with some dedication of time and effort that cannot be avoided. Again, IMO.

And too many variables to consider to answer the "actual wood savings" question.
To save money, i'll make the time to cut, No other option to heat a shop affordable. I own equipment from dozer to hoe, to skid steer, And when owning 200 acres of woods, I'd be a fool not to burn wood. Seems foolish to me now I've went past 4yrs without burning

Roger2561

crhall - I have an E-Classic 1400; my 4th season heating with it.  From the time I'm putting my boots on feet to go outside and then  taking them off inside when I'm done is no more than 10 minutes each time; essentially 20 minutes in a 24 hour period.  The actual time spent at the OWB is probably no more than 5 minutes each time.  I load it once at 5:00am when I get out of bed and again around 5:00/5:30pm when I get home from work.  Every Saturday morning I will clean the reaction chamber of ash.  Once every 2 to 3 weeks I will spend a bit time (~20 to 25 minutes at 5:00am) making sure the primary air holes in the fire box are open, not clogged with ash build up or creosote.  Once a month I will perform a thorough cleaning; perform everything mentioned above as well as removing the primary elbow where the solenoids are located and clear it of creosote build up as well as clear the air tube of creosote build up.

In my area of this fine country I had no choice, I had to buy a gasser; state regs.  If you haven't done it yet, you may want to check with your local authority whether a conventional is allowed or you need to buy a gasser.  I hope this helps.  Roger       
Roger

Thank You Sponsors!