iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to file a chain

Started by dsgsr, January 16, 2009, 06:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

Where can I find info. on filling different chains, how too guide?

Thank you,
David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

GASoline71

\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

TreePointer

dsgsr

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

Frickman

If you are using Stihl chain most of it has little etchings on the teeth that mark the proper angle and hook for the cutter. These marks still come in handy for me and I've been filing saws for decades.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

bandmiller2

I've got a square and a round grinder but still file too.What I do is clamp the saw and bar in a vice file away for half the cutters then turn the file around and pull it to me for the outhers, anyone else do that or am I the lone ranger,works good for me.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 23, 2009, 03:28:19 PM
I've got a square and a round grinder but still file too.What I do is clamp the saw and bar in a vice file away for half the cutters then turn the file around and pull it to me for the outhers, anyone else do that or am I the lone ranger,works good for me.Frank C.

I do something similar, except that instead of pulling the file towards me I turn the saw around in the vise when I am done the one side.

Tom

LeeB

I do both, however i mostly do it like Tom does. I find I can get the teeth more even in length that way.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

What Tom said.

It's a great way to learn.  Put one hand on the handle and the other hand on the file end.  Concentrate on making the perfect stroke with correct angles.  Once you learn the technique in a vice makes it a lot easier to do out in the field on a snowy day with the wind a howling.

Another tip...how do you know iffen your chain is really really sharp?  Drop the magnifier with light and take a good look see.  If the chain is dull the light will be reflected off the edge and it is easy to pick up, even for 60 year old eyes.  I can drop the magnifier over a chain on the grinder also.  This magnifier is permanently mounted to the work bench.

Got another floor stand magnifier I use the same way when I sharpen bands, drill bits, or what have ya.  Sharp stuff seems to cut better for some reason. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Piston

Not really a complete how-to guide, but i found the Carlton write up extremely helpful as far as understanding WHY i'm filing a chain the way i am, you may want to thumb though it for some decent diagrams.  its in the forum extras under "knowledge base" the go to the chainsaw section and you'll find it there.  i actually feel confident sharpening my chains after reading it a couple times, as well as reading all the tips everyone gives on here.  hope that helps and good luck
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

capt n cutz

Now, if there was just a vise out in the woods!  I can think of a dozen guys I know and have seen file...none of them the same way.  Once it is understood what has to happen, hide from everyone and find your comfort zone and what works best for you.  I can suggest practice on the ground, a log, or a tailgate, something that is always handy, cause they don't get dull in a heated garage with a vise all the time.

I've been hooked on the sweddish roller guide for a little over 3 years, must be I like it.
So...You want to be a Logger? eh!

dsgsr

Thank you all for the good info. I guess my question was a bit vague. I can sharpen my chain saws with regular cutting chain (round or square chisel round ground) well enough Although I can always learn a thing or two. I've just recently come across square ground and am not that familiar with it (and don't want to be). I was looking more for the different types of chain for ripping and such. I've been thinking of getting an Alaskan Sawmill or something down that road and have never seen how rip chain is chiseled or sharpened.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

John Mc

Quote from: capt n cutz on January 25, 2009, 04:49:38 PM
Now, if there was just a vise out in the woods!

I've gotten hooked on using a stump vise. Just pound it in to a handy stump or log, and you've got something that holds it as well as a benchtop vise. In fact, I use my stump vise for filing at home as well... just pound it into a 2x6 and clamp that into my workmate/sawhorse.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bandmiller2

Larry,your right,I do the same thing if you can see the cutting edge its dull.The sharp edge on a cutter will disappear.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

missourilogger

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 23, 2009, 03:28:19 PM
i do that
i Was here

and here

Thank You Sponsors!