iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to fell a whopper

Started by getoverit, June 04, 2007, 10:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

As many of you know, I am involved with guitar building AND sawmilling. On one of the luthier forums that I belong to, one of the vendors of top quality spruce posted some pictures of his logging operations where he collects wood for his tonewood business.
Since the tree was SO big and he obviously knows what he is doing, I thought I would share this link so that others could see the proper way to fell a whopper of a tree safely.

Click here for the link (it may load a bit slowly)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

sawguy21

Thank you for sharing that. Great pictures and description.  8) It also demonstrates why the 'west coast' full wrap handle is necessary. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

In referring to the word "they" in reference to the Forestry Forum as "a logging forum":

"You obviously know what you are doing and they may benefit in seeing how to fell a whopper of a tree safely."

We have guys here that do that every day. They (Guitar builders) might have learned more from our members on the subject, but it is a good post for those guitar makers that dont have a clue. Its good they had someone to post that for them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

At first I thought the post was "How to tell a whopper!"  ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

I've got a box of Malt whoppers on my desk right now.  Think I'll open them up. ;D

Dave Shepard

That was a good read, thanks getoverit.

Tom, I bet you can't eat just one! At least I can't. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

asy

Thanks Getoverit.

It was a great, and interesting post. I liked the photos!

By the way, thanks for using the same avatar in both forums, makes it easier to know who you are! hehe

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Frickman

Good slide show. Like Jeff said, some of us do that every day. Three things I noticed. One, what was refered to as the "back cut" we call the "face cut" around here. Our " back cut" is what was called the "felling cut". Second, where it said he was cleaning up the hinge, he may have been doing that, but it looked to me like he was boring out the center of the hinge, a very common practice. And third, did anybody noticed the fiber pull on the corners of the hinge after the tree was down? Wing cuts one-inch or so deep would have prevented that. All in all though he did a good job.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Reddog

Same things Frickman noticed with the wording.
I do think he was just cleaning up the notch. They don't think any thing about tearout on the pine stuff out west. Not like us that cut hardwood and like zero tearout. All and all a clean drop from the looks.

Ed

All in all that is a pretty good tutorial.
Thanks for posting that!

Ed

getoverit

Just thought this would be interesting to *some* on this forum since there has been a lot of discussion in the past on how to fell a tree safely. The pictures of what he is doing tells more than anything else. I also realize that this is MUCH more than a logging forum and that there are some on this forum that could probably teach this guy a thing or two while there are others who are new to the business or just part-time'ers that could learn from others. This is why I posted the link.

Keep in mind that the pictures were posted by the guy selling tonewood and that he had hired this logger to cut the tree down for him. Another interesting point is that they cut the tree into 24" billets (looks like they are cutting firewood) and haul it out by the piece to be split into billets later. Sometimes if the tree is large like this one was, they bust the tree into pie shaped chunks and haul it out this way. The tonewood business is a totally different way of doing business with forest products than most of us are used to. It is also much more labor intensive than most lumber or pulp wood businesses. It is interesting to see how many different ways people make money on forest products!

When I find things that I think would be of interest to others on this forum, I try to pass along the info. Last night, I saw a TV show on how an ice castle was being built somewhere up north using ice harvested out of lake michigan. The interesting thing is that once the ice was out of the lake, they used a WOODMIZER to saw up the ice into perfectly square chunks. Bet WOODMIZER never figured their saws would be used for that!! I wish there was some way to post those pictures as it would be really interesting. You will have to use your immagination on that one though.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Sid

He did a good job on taking down that big fellow.Looks like he needs to put a file on that chain ,there is a lot of dust.  :P

Jeff

We've talked about wood-mizer cutting the ice blocks a few times I think. Here is a link to the European wood-mizer site telling a little about it.

http://www.woodmizer-planet.com/text.htm?wscharset=windows-1252&s=Owner&m=21&id=420

Ken, I would have just liked to seen us referred to as "The Forestry Forum" rather then off handedly. :)

Jeff

Another link to the Story as it appeared in the Wood-Mizer Way.

http://www.woodmizer.com/pdfs/wmw67.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!