iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framed Cabinets

Started by Deadwood, October 31, 2005, 07:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

Deadwood, what kind of floor is in the kitchen?  Is it tongue and groove?

Deadwood

It's White Ash, and no it's not tongue and grooved. I did not have quite enough 6 inch boards, or 8 inch boards or even ten inch boards, so I figured I would just alternate them. I laid the first 6 inch board straight down the centerline of the room and then placed an eight board on each side of that, then two ten inch boards and so on until my room was completed. It worked out so well that I carried it over to adjoining rooms as well.

Someday soon I want to refinish the floor, sand it smooth again and then screw and plug the flooring down. When I do that, I might just seal between the flooring to keep out the dirt that has a tendency to collect there. Other than that though I am happy with my floor. It has been 10 years since I put it down at a cost of around 18 cents a square foot.

Patty

So are the floor boards laid over plywood flooring? I like the looks of it too, but wondered what was underneath. Also, how did you lay them, are they nailed down or glued? It looks very nice.  :)

The garbage bin is cool too. We have a similar deal, but the wastebaskets sit in a metal farme that is on gliders like a drawer. Then the whole thing just slides in & out. I keep my potatoes in one bin, and onions in the other. However I think the original intention was for garbage in one bin and recyclables in the other.  ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Deadwood

The Ash boards are actually laid over 2 by 4 sleepers that are Hilti Gunned to the cocrete slab below. My house is rather odd in that it was orginally designed to be a garage. I was young when I first got married so I had to build a house and fast. With very little money to work with (no morgage mind you) I thought I would build a garage first and then build a house when I got older. To make a long story short, I never built my "house", so over the years my "garage" has turned out to be my home by getting bigger and fancier. That is the reason why all my floors are laid over a concrete slab instead of a crawls apce or a full foundation.

Deadwood

I was thinking that since some of you liked how I built my house to accomidate my dogs, you might like to see their unique kennel and their walkway out to it. Basically it allows the dogs to run in and out of the house as they please. There is a dog door between the dogwalk and the house, but it is shut only when it gets cold, so here in Maine that is like ten months out of the year! ;D Actually they have free access to their kennel and the house most of the time.

I covered the dogwalk so that the dogs would not go running off in the middle of the night, and because we get a lot of snow here in Maine and I did not want to have to shovel out the dogwalk if it got full of snow.

The final touch was building a tree house inside the kennel so my dogs could climb up high and look out across the countryside and bark to their hearts content. It works great because with a kennel, I do not have to worry about them getting out, or other animals getting in at them either. The kennel by the way is 24 by 24 so they have plenty of room to play. Still that does not explain why they seem to prefer lying on the couch all day!

Here is the link to that same webpage, but with some added pictures.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Cabinets

freddycougar

iain

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Deadwood on November 04, 2005, 02:02:11 AM
Yeah you guys got better Black Cherry than us Mainers do that is for sure. I once traded a custome wooden model of a bulldozer for 100 ft of black cherry that came out of New York. Nice stuff, just wished I had more of it. I hate to say I got the better deal, but man I put that cherry to good use. As for the cherry that went into my cabinets shown here, that stuff came from Maine, and if you saw it, you would not believe that such ugly logs could make for such a nice set of cabinets.

I'll agree with ya on the cherry, but I have managed to saw 8 foot stuff. I cut one down behind the house that grew 1 cm per year (54 cm on the stump). I have several more, but they are badly diseased. I've even cut pin cherry, 8 inches DBH , for a friend who had it milled out. DanGed 'ole black knot.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Patty on November 05, 2005, 08:35:54 AM
So are the floor boards laid over plywood flooring? I like the looks of it too, but wondered what was underneath. Also, how did you lay them, are they nailed down or glued? It looks very nice.  :)

That brings up a story. My folks were going to put hardwood flooring down (oak) and they figured they'de save a step for the contractor and decided to put down 1/4" plywood underlay. They slaved at it for 2 or 3 days and then they decided to ask the contractor if it would be ok. He said they didn't need it, so they didn't want to waste it and tore it all up. ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I like white ash, it's my favorite wood and probably favorite tree.  Although, sugar maple and yellow birch are right up there. I made a 2 m x 2 m entertainment centre from ash off the woodlot. My mother's cupboards in the new house are made from bird's eye figured maple. The floors and fireplace mantle are yellow birch, doors and mouldings are white pine. Only thing from the factory is the birch flooring, but it's solid wood. I've made things from cherry too, like a spool bed and small bowl turnings.

Deadwood

Boy are we saplins from the same tree or what? I love Ash too, and back when I had a bunch sawed out, I made a gazzilion prjects from that wood type. Lately I have been using Cherry for the same reason, I had a lot of good quality boards to choose from, and thus I use was I have on hand. I have not made a lot of projects from Yellow Birch, but I have been thinking about having some sawed out. My Uncle made a hardwood floor from Yellow Birch and it came out nice, especially with the contrasting heart wood and sap wood. I just loved how the wood looked and I have a ton of it growing in the woods.

Myself I do not care for Oak, overused in my opinion, but I suppose if I had some I would use it. It's kind of funny, we have Ash Trees that are plentiful and huge, but on over 400 acres, we don't have a single Oak tree that is worth harvesting. I even ran into some Birds Eye Ash once which they say is pretty rare. I was pretty proud of that.

As for my next project, I was thinking about yellow birch. As you know, my first born child is on the way and I always said I was going to build he/she a very special cradle. I thought Yellow Birch would make a great wood to use as I have already made another cradle out of Ash. I did saw out an apple log awhil ago. It's pretty dry so I could use that too I'm sure, but I'm going to be doing a lot of hand cut dovetails on this cradle, so I don't think I want to be pounding my chisels all day into apple. Man is that wood hard!

The other wood I use constantly that you did not mention is Beech. The wood is hard that is for sure, but moves terrably. I built some bathroom cabinets out of the wood and was it ever hard. Certainly nothing you would want to make hand cut dovetails out of, or raised panels for that matter either. My panels are begining to rattle now since the furnace fired up, but in the summer they are jammed right up tight. For those of you that have not worked with Beech, it is very tempermental in changes in humidity. Air Drying is nearly impossable as well, but it too is hard. When drilled, the wood shavings peel out of the hole like you are drilling through steel, one unbroken corkscrewed curly que!

SwampDonkey

Most beech around here is dead or 3/4 dead. On a couple woodlots I marked some undiseased beech to leave standing for future crop trees and seed. I even marked 'plus tree' on the bark because they were in amongst severely diseased trees, yet they never had a blemish on them. My uncle had a 24 inch beech on his woodlot that was unblemished, except you could see the claw marks of a bear that climbed it for the nuts. Bears make nests up in beech in heavy seed years, they do this my pulling in the branches to obtain the nuts. The branches break off and it looks like a nest up there. The beech became firewood as my uncle is more interested in keeping warm than saving trees. ;)

Deadwood

Our Beech is heavily diseased as well, though there is this one tree. Right in the middle of the Beech Ridge this huge Beech grows with no sign of disease at all. I really can't explain why it's fine an the other Beech aren't, but there it is.

Because of that Beech Saw Logs are impossable to get. You have to ask local loggers to save it out for you if you want some, and most are hesitant at that. It's better to saw your own logs, if you can fine enough Smooth Bark Beech as we call them here anyway.

Part_Timer

Deadwood

I really like those cabinets.

We use paint shop pro and don't have to much trouble with the pictures.  They are not as clear as I'd like but it works.  If you need some help just IM us.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

iain

Here beech spalts a treat
and the disease is normaly beech snap
the ends of the branch's get very brittle and "snap" off
and there is a lot of it about
i do use a good amount of beech in my work and have some 120" x 36" x 2.5"  going through the kiln at the moment
most will go as table tops
as they have some stunning wavy burgandy staining running through them
(them planks is also very heavy)
it can be quite unstable but you can work around things like that when the figure is right ;)

iain

Deadwood

I have never heard of Beech Snap before, but that would describe the series of bumps all those Beech have. For what it is worth they are also short and stubby trees, but should be growing on pretty good soil. Gravelly Loam to the depth of three or four feet.

As for the Spalting, I too work a lot with that kind of wood. It is so beautiful with the mineral streaks and whatnot. I cut an apple tree a few years ago in hopes that it would spalt, but it did not happen. Beech on the other hand is very predictable. Her in humid coastal Maine anyway, give it a 12-14 months out in the field and you got some nice spalted beech.

As for drying beech, I lack a kiln so I air dry. I did hear though that kiln drying is very hard to accomplish, but has better results than air drying.

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!