iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Persimmon?

Started by WoodturnerJohn, January 30, 2019, 02:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodturnerJohn

New to the forum thanks for having me. 

I have a buddy who regularly calls me if he sees trees coming down, either by nature or tree service. He said he found some walnut for me and had a few logs loaded into his truck. I knew upon seeing it it wasn't walnut. The only wood I think it could be is persimmon, but the bark looked different from other persimmon I have worked with. The largest log I got was 26" diameter. The skid steer couldn't lift the largest logs without cutting it shorter than 4 foot. The tree was growing in north eastern Oklahoma.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

WoodturnerJohn

Well after turning a piece, I think its oak.....I have never turned green oak, so it looked new to me when I split the log.

BuckeyeAaron

My gut reaction was some type of red oak based on the limited bark sample.  Exterior bark definitely didn't look like persimmon.  But it sounds like you got it figured out!
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

TKehl

Not Persimmon.

I would say it's Oak.  

Do you have any of the leaves?  If here, I would say it's a Shingle Oak.  (Quercus Imbracaria) which is a Red Oak.  

The maps say it might be in NE OK, but really out of it's range and out of my geographical knowledge range.  Maybe Black Oak?  (Another Red Oak)  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WoodturnerJohn

I wasnt at the site it was cut from so I didn't have a chance to look for leaves. Its definitely an oak. When I split it the heartwood was almost black before it lightened up, the grain has some black streaks in it, (not from steel). I always like to tell potential customers what it is. I have only turned oak burl, or worked with kiln dried oak in the past, so the heavy contrast in the wood threw me.

lxskllr

The black oak I've been cutting in my yard doesn't look anything like that, but it's a good bit older. Dunno if that has anything to do with it. Mine's uniformly red all the way through.

Southside

Could be Black Jack oak or just have a bacterial infection. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Yes, bacterial infected red oak.  Note the very visible medullary rays on the cross-section. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

Looks like hackberry to me. Look at the vessel on the far left.

WDH

The medullary rays of hackberry are not prominently visible to the naked eye on the cross-section. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

Quote from: WDH on February 02, 2019, 08:02:04 AM
The medullary rays of hackberry are not prominently visible to the naked eye on the cross-section.
I know, but I'm thinking those are chain saw marks showing on the end grain, and not medullary rays. There aren't any rays showing in that quartered slice through the crotch. I'd bet pretty big money that's hackberry.

LeeB

I've never seen hackberry with that dark of a heart. Spalting that color yes, but heart no.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

Does Hackberry pith split like that? Have not sawn enough to know.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

One man's medullary rays are another man's chainsaw marks :D.

(I am not convinced :)). 

low_48

Just one more post. I know I won't convince anyone, even the person who took the time to private message me to tell me I was wrong with my identification. Anyway, here is a couple of pictures of my hackberry vessel. One showing the minor flecking, and an end grain picture showing the color in the heart. No rays showing on the end grain.

nativewolf

@WoodturnerJohn  Persimmon is almost pure white, small dark marks/streaks giving hints of the ebony heritage.  The marks on Persimmon are black, like ...piano key black.  The bark is chunky/blocky and not smooth at all.  Most commonly confused with black gum.

You have red oak family for sure, bark, end grain etc all are saying RO.

Hackberry of that size would also have the tell tale warts/extrusions all over the bark, the wood is usually whiter, you don't have the rays.  Oak has rays...the easiest tell tale. 

@Low_48 I wish you were closer to me I'd dump some great turning wood on you.  Wish I had bowl turners in my network..still have work to do getting buyers setup.  Beautiful set of work and thanks for the pictures.  Have you ever turned any boxelder?  
Liking Walnut

WoodturnerJohn

I got into the rest of the logs yesterday and it looked like straightforward red oak, less black streaking. 

The close up photo is of a rough turned natural edge bowl from the split crotch log.

That hackberry hollow from has some wonderful spalting.

Thank You Sponsors!