iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Measuring RPM of diesel engine

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 23, 2013, 06:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I really just want to check the idle and full speed RPM of the Kubota diesel on my sawmill (42HP, 4 cylinder).   But it would be nice to see the RPM while sawing.  Thinking of adding a tachometer (link below), which reads the engine frequency via a transducer clamped around the fuel line.  But before I spend about $100 I'm wondering if there are other options.  I have a front remote so I'd have to get the signal up the cat track if I want it mounted on the remote instead of the engine.  Too bad engine RPM isn't one of the diagnostic options in Accuset 2!

http://tinytach.com/diesel.php   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

TT,thats probably as good as it gets for a constant reading tach.Spotcheck you could use the stewart Warner handheld.Some of the older diesels used a mechanical tach driven like the old spedometers with a flex cable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Nomad

Is there an unused (spare) wire in the track you could pirate to transfer the signal?  Then you could splice into it from both ends.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

I have used tinytach on gasoline engines with good results.  Sadly, I can't use that one on my Lombardini because the injector lines are internal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPD748

Autometer (model #2888) makes a diesel tach that picks up from an alternator. I've used this model several times with great success. One drawback is having to calibrate the unit by adjusting the displayed rpm to the actual engine rpm. I used a hand held strobe pickup for this task. I prefer the 'look' of the standard round dial/needle over the lcd display.

Another option is the 'Dakota Digital Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface' which picks up pulses from the flywheel ring gear and converts those into a usable signal for any electronic tach. With that, one could go with Autometer's 4000 rpm tach (model #2890) for a nice setup, although it would cost around $220  :-\

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

pineywoods

Why bother with engine rpm? Bandwheel rpm is what's really important and that's dirt cheap.  Bicycle speedometer from walmart, $10 bucks or so.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

terrifictimbersllc

Interesting idea, but for idle and full speed engine rpm checking and adjustment.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

Quote from: pineywoods on May 26, 2013, 03:20:53 PM
Why bother with engine rpm? Bandwheel rpm is what's really important and that's dirt cheap.  Bicycle speedometer from walmart, $10 bucks or so.
Piney, how did you rig that up? Something like that would very handy for keeping an eye on slipping drive belts, how much lost band speed causes a wave, all sorts of stuff.
Too many irons in the fire

pineywoods

Quote from: barbender on May 27, 2013, 01:13:49 AM
Quote from: pineywoods on May 26, 2013, 03:20:53 PM
Piney, how did you rig that up? Something like that would very handy for keeping an eye on slipping drive belts, how much lost band speed causes a wave, all sorts of stuff.

Bike spedo consists of 3 parts
1. small magnet fastened to bandwheel. glue, tywrap, duct tape etc.
2. pickup coil mounted somewhere where magnet passes with 1/4 inch.
3. display unit with cable connecting to item 2

The whole works runs on a single 1.5 volt button battery, turns itself on when bandwheel starts rotating. Setu[ program selects mph/kph, speed/distance, and wheel size. A 20 inch bike wheel is quite close to a 19 inch bandwheel. In speed mode, a slipping drive belt is quite noticeable, as is a blade that's starting to get dull. Distance mode will show how much blade has been through the wood, resetable for each log or blade. Some interesting data can be derived from that...

I've had 2 problems with mine.
1  The button battery doesn't last very long
2 a broken blade can take out the magnet and pickup coil. Recommend mounting these on the idler side..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

I'm going to have to try that, Piney. I think I meed to come hang out with you for about a week so I can steal all of your good ideas  ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: barbender on May 28, 2013, 12:55:46 AM
I'm going to have to try that, Piney. I think I meed to come hang out with you for about a week so I can steal all of your good ideas  ;D

From what I've seen, you'd need a month of Sunday's to even come close to getting them all.

Herb

barbender

Magicman

That plus you can not steal what he freely gives away.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

I've done the bicycle speedometer thing too - it works!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

barbender

I know, Piney is free with his knowledge ;) I always enjoy looking over whatever project he may be sharing on the forum, I always learn something.

barbender

I also enjoy the Magicman's wisdom on the ins and outs of full time portable sawing  ;)

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: nomad on May 23, 2013, 07:54:01 AM
     Is there an unused (spare) wire in the track you could pirate to transfer the signal?  Then you could splice into it from both ends.
Yes there is, just found it. Unused red wire in front remote control box comes out with a tab connector on it inside the head, hanging above the up down motor. It goes through the 16 pin connector P(1)-13 and is labeled W25. The diagram says W-25 is for an accessory probably a laser. I can use it instead for the transducer and put the tiny tach on the front remote control box.  There are still some other unused accessory lines too, through the cat track.

Now I have to figure out where I can mount the transducer. There is no metal fuel inlet line, where it is supposed to go.  Just metal outlet lines for each injector (see picture).  Maybe a line with a closed end could be mounted to the fitting where the rubber fuel inlet line goes in?  I have an email in to them.  I like Pineywood's idea of monitoring bandwheel speed as well for belt slippage. 

Nomad

It would really be nice to watch both the RPMs and band speed, wouldn't it?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

UN Hooker

A transducer would go on one of those four vertical metal lines (injection lines) in the picture.
Be sure the line is clean where you clamp it on - sand off any paint etc.
    UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: UN Hooker on June 04, 2013, 10:40:29 PM
A transducer would go on one of those four vertical metal lines (injection lines) in the picture.
Be sure the line is clean where you clamp it on - sand off any paint etc.
    UN
Thanks! Shows what I know.  Out to measure the line now.
p.s.  A light sanding and the diameter is 0.236", or exactly 6 mm, what I expected because everything else is metric on this Kubota. Good to go, that's one of Tiny Tach's standard transducer sizes.

p.s.s. Tiny Tach is ordered.  I'll post the modification in the Useful Sawmill Mods thread with a link to that here. Thanks again everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!