iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is elm worth sawing?

Started by bakerhardwoods, June 01, 2013, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhardwoods

I have some elm logs that are decent diameter and I'm wondering if I should have them sawn or haul them to the pallet mill.  They are just plain logs, about 18 inches on the small ends without many branches.  I will for sure take the smaller elm to the pallet mill. The boards should be fairly decent.  I sell wood some and have not had anyone ask for elm.  I already have some elm that i haven't sold.  Also, I have not used much of it myself.  I generally say that my problem is that I haven't seen a log yet that I didn't like, but this can get expensive.

The tree ID forum seems to think this one is elm and I'm sure some others are, but I didn't think elm had white sapwood.

Chuck White

If you need planks to load implements onto a truck or trailer, elm would be a good candidate.

Used to be sawn and used for replanking the floor of horse stalls!  Held up well with the urine, etc.

It's a strong wood and straight grained.

I had one given to me and I sawed it early last fall, still green, I didn't get a lot out of it, but I have 2 nice 2x8x12 planks now! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

Yep, planking. At least that is what it was used for around here. Unfortunately, we lost all of ours that was sawable size to Dutch Elm disease 25 years ago. All we have are saplings ::) Bur Oak is the back up species.
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Elm is a useful wood for woodworking.

Main issue is that it twists and warps a bit as it dries. Usual plan is to saw it a bit oversize so you can plane out the movement.

BUT, whether it's worth sawing depends on local markets. Doesn't matter how "good" the wood is, you haven't made anything until it's sold...

Tried advertising a "packet" of it for a good price? Might get some takers that hadn't considered the option of using it?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mesquite buckeye

Can't get mine sold, so I make furniture from it. It is nice.

I think it has been out of the market for so long that people forget it has been used successfully for woodworking for forever. It is reasonably strong and attractive. Bends well. Forest grown trees seem to move around less during drying than yard or wolf trees, but you need to sticker them well if you want to get anything worthwhile.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Woodkiller

It is fun to turn. I have had decent luck with it.

bandmiller2

Remember the old pickup trucks from back in the 40's and early 50's most of the wood beds were elm. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I remember the old wooden bed pickups, but I didn't know they were elm.

Learn a lot of new stuff here!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

The spiral grain makes it shock and split resistant.  I have heard that it was used for wagon wheel yokes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dewey

i had an Elm log given to me years ago.....   I sawed it  out all 5/4  450 BF worth....  I showed it to everyone that came into my yard . I finally had a boat builder ask if he could buy 1 board...  He  took it home planed it and put a finish on it, called me the next day and wanted it all  !!!!!  I sold the whole pile for $2.50 a BF !!!  Not a bad payday for a free log  !!!! 8)

francismilker

To answer the question is it worth sawing, I think it is.  I sawed some and then put it in the barn to air dry 6 months ago.  It's still as wet as it was the day I cut it.  As far as trying to drive a nail in it, just say "NO".  The stuff is springy and definately shock resistant.  I'm not sure if there are any oil drilling rigs in our area that don't use elm for cribbing/leveling blocks.  It's abundant around here and faily easy to saw. 

I had no clue it was used for the wood in the back of the older pickups from yesterday.  That's interesting.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

barbender

I remember trying to split some of the dead standing elm, that was the gnarliest stuff I ever came across. You couldn't split it with a maul, the best you could hope for was knocking the outside rings off so you could fit it through the door of the OWB. There was no way it was splitting down the middle. Gnarly stuff I say :o
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

barbender
That is when I make one or two additional chainsaw cuts "down the middle" will knock them down to "door" size.
As quick or quicker than splitting... just lose some chainsaw chips.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

Around here there are still a few standing (I have a 2logs on a trailer now) as said planking (heavy as heck tho.)    The logs on the trailer start about 24" at the but and I got 2ea 9' logs out of the middle of the woods.   It was standing dead for about 3 years now & bark just came off after felling.

Was used in barns as flooring a lot (both lofts and under hooves) as it is somewhat rot resistant or at least it holds up to manure/urine well...   Also was used as stall walls for same tendencies of strong & resists cribbing.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

bandmiller2

Elm will give you fits to split for firewood but it burns like coal,low flame and glows red.I've only got a couple left on my property DanGed dutch elm got most of them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

Most of the old ice boxes from years ago... late 1800's used elm as the interior liner because bacteria growth.  Elm naturally prohibits bacteria growth and that's why it was used to line the inside of ice chests and boxes...  some early refrigerators used it as well for shelf material and shelf supports.

John Bartley

This resistance to bacteria growth, along with its incredible toughness (resistance to knife cuts), as well as the lovely grain figure, are the reasons for using Elm as cutting board material.

John

Quote from: NMFP on June 02, 2013, 08:16:46 AM
Most of the old ice boxes from years ago... late 1800's used elm as the interior liner because bacteria growth.  Elm naturally prohibits bacteria growth and that's why it was used to line the inside of ice chests and boxes...  some early refrigerators used it as well for shelf material and shelf supports.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

ET

Great thread!  I've got a lot of live and dead elm as well. Now that i know it is worth sawing and when I get ready to sell some I will know its potential uses for telling future customers. Thanks FF!!!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

DaleK

Makes great workbench tops too once it's dry, grandpa's old work table is 3" thick elm, can't dent it with a ball peen hammer. He built a 34x70 addition on the barn in the 50s when Dutch elm first went through here, completely framed with elm.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

NMFP

That's interesting you say framing with elm because I am currently sawing a barn package for a guy that is using almost dead ash.  its a 60 by 60 bank barn with total height of side walls being 44' high so its not a little barn.  Only 2 species going into the barn... almost dead ash from Emerald Ash Borer and Hemlock almost dead from scale and wooley adelgid!!!!  I hope were almost done with loosing our different tree species!

mesquite buckeye

Discouraging. They will still be around, but die before they get big.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

I've found that the secret to selling unfamiliar species of lumber is to just get people in the door to look at something else. Then show them everything you have. The fact that you have something unusual will spark the curiosity of at least one woodworker out of 5, and you get to sell some of your odd-ball stuff. Even if you don't sell much, the fact that you have so many things available is a plus in the minds of customers who keep coming back to you for the more regular stuff.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bibbyman

We have two different elm.  Red elm pictured above and every other elm.  Red elm is very different than Dutch elm or elm by other names.   The red elm is very decay resident and strong - more like ash.  Has very little sap and we find it deep in the woods.  Not at all like the field edge or yard elm.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 02, 2013, 02:01:13 PM
I've found that the secret to selling unfamiliar species of lumber is to just get people in the door to look at something else. Then show them everything you have. The fact that you have something unusual will spark the curiosity of at least one woodworker out of 5, and you get to sell some of your odd-ball stuff. Even if you don't sell much, the fact that you have so many things available is a plus in the minds of customers who keep coming back to you for the more regular stuff.

Good strategy.

People wont come and ask for a species that they may not even be aware of, and have never thought of using.

But having some finished samples on display might catch the eye of someone, that had never considered using it otherwise.

Even if they don't buy it then, they now know you have some, and you might have planted the seed for a future project.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mesquite buckeye

Thanks Bibby. Good call. I can't keep any red elm in stock, as the extended family uses it all up before I can touch it. That is much prettier than American elm.

Thank You Sponsors!