iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$2.79 Cant Hook

Started by RickV, June 02, 2013, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickV

Thought I would share this with everyone. I was fooling around in the shop yesterday and whipped this up out of scrap. The handle is a piece of 1 1/2"  ENT conduit that I picked up at Lowes that was damaged for $2.00.... Nylon lock nut $0.79.... The nose in 1 1/2" cold roll that I put in the lathe and turned down to slip in the conduit about 18", if that bends I'll quit. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Actually it looks pretty good Rick. Nice job.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

It does look good, but I worry about you flying over the log when that EMT kinks. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Dave, read my mind before I read his post,  watch out for dings in the tubing and you should be fine for awhile. Nice work! worth the effort and the money 8)  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

From what I've seen of emt tubing, that thing is going to fail you while you have it hooked to a 800 pound log. It looks great, you just need heavier tubing.
Too many irons in the fire

mikeb1079

that does look great, and i like it.  also, that emt is gonna kink.   :) ;)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

drobertson

One more option, a reinforcing rib along the back side, some sort of short flange that runs close to the length of the handle will help when it becomes an issue.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

RickV

Yea guys I thought about that kinking too. I have an almost full gallon of resin that is old and doubt if I will use it in the near future, I think it would be a good sacrifice, solid fill it along with some matting tamped in should do it. If not I got a good start on a tater gun.

Kingcha

yes fill it with the resin or concrete.   sure sure the concrete will add weight but strength too.    But on the other hand a nice tater gun could be more fun.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Bibbyman

Maybe I missed it but from what did you make the hook and hook mounting?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fishpimp

Looks very nice.
First week had my mill I hooked into an old half rotten oak and went flying. Was very lucky ... My head missed the corner of the mill by "s.
Tater guns are weak. We shoot walnuts round here wit starter fluid... hahahaha use caution tho.

Fla._Deadheader

Buy a hardwood dowel big enough to fit and resin that inside the handle. Try to place the grain of the dowel so that it is NOT flat grain as the forces are applied to the log.

It's kinda difficult to explain, but, place the dowel "quarter sawn" like grain so that takes the strain.

We did this for many years with our manufactured sand scoop business, using 1" EMT. It will allow just a bit of flex, so, you know the limits of that EMT before breaking over.

Also, it will reduce the weight using the dowel.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

barbender

That's an interesting concept, Deadheader.
Too many irons in the fire

clww

You could also put a large diameter piece of rebar in it, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Sure making the LogRite cant hook look good/better all the time.  ;D

when thinking about the weight, strength, and grip....  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

roghair

Looks good, but I have the same question as Bibbyman, and even have to ask what EMT is  :embarassed:
built a sawmill

beenthere

EMT is thin wall conduit.. 

Electrical Metallic Tubing.  Usually used where wires are run through it, and bends easily in bending equipment and doesn't kink (if bent in the right equipment)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

I don't always need a cant hook, but when I do It's blue.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

rooster 58

Raider Bill, why would you want to sound like Poston? :D :D :D :)

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sixacresand

My helper ate too many wheaties and broke the wood handle in an old hook I had.  I did some welding and put the old hook on a one inch galvanized pipe.  So far it works good and does not slip. The sharp spike in the end of the pipe helps with gripping the log. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Satamax

If i can open my big mouth, fill that emt handle with glass fiber rods, and epoxy. You should be sorted for awhile then :D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

RickV

I made the hook out of 1/2 x 1" bar stock, heated it and bent the hook, heated the point and hammered it. The mount is tig welded to the tube, made from a short piece of the 1/2 x 1 stock. The attachment of the hook has 2 pieces of 1/4" tig welded to the hook. I think I will fill it with the resin I have before it goes bad, glass, and I like the dowel idea. If it does break I'm not out much. I think I made the hook a little to long, will just have to try it out. The point on the hook does fold up and touchs the nose. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Now if I can just talk the wife into that LT-50 I have my eye set on.  8)

AdamT

Quote from: RickV on June 03, 2013, 05:31:06 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Now if I can just talk the wife into that LT-50 I have my eye set on.  8)

Buy it, then ask for forgiveness..

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

roghair

Quote from: beenthere on June 03, 2013, 01:36:08 PM
EMT is thin wall conduit.. 

Electrical Metallic Tubing.  Usually used where wires are run through it, and bends easily in bending equipment and doesn't kink (if bent in the right equipment)
Wow, metallic tubing is not allowed here, you have to replace it if you have old metal tubing in your house. we only use PVC type electrical tubing: http://www.google.nl/search?q=elektrabuis&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=ll6uUZv9NYipOq7mgLgC&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1213&bih=861

Impressive blacksmith work on the hook!
built a sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!