iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1997 tree farmer c7 grapple- snubber help

Started by quilbilly, August 04, 2017, 07:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quilbilly

We have a c7 grapple- skidder. It's the first grapple- skidder we have owned. How do you tighten the swing break on the snubber? Or should I just put an old tire around it like I've seen some guys do. The grapples swing like crazy. Also would a rebuild be expensive on the snubber or a new one like a prolenc be easier if I can't get it to adjust correctly.
a man is strongest on his knees

lopet

Restrictors will slow down any oil flow. Don't know anything about the swing break.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

kiko

Franklin produced several kinds of grapple snubbers .  Any was you could provide pictures , then I may be able point you in a direction.

quilbilly

quilbilly

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

quilbilly

kiko

Excellent!.     The bolt in the middle with the jam nut is what you would use to tighten the dampener.   What you basically have inside there is a clutch pack.   With fiber disk and reaction plates alternately.  The adjustment bolt pushes against a spring washer which mashes the clutch together.   It important that the clutch has plenty of grease.  If tightening the center bolt does not make it better there is damage inside the clutch.   To keep the brake operational it must adjusted often and grease, grease and grease.

kiko

Looking back at the pictures. The front to back adjustment looks maxed out.   You can remove the jam nut and see if there is any brske left.   If not you may have to open it up.   Parts however may be an issue.

quilbilly

thanks for the help. Grease doesn't make a difference. So I'll try to tighten it up, but with how free it swings damage seems like it will be the problem. Let's hope not.

mike_belben

Might be able to have new friction material bonded on if you can find a clutch or brake rebuilder.  Id guess theres still a few in the antique rebuilding circuit.. Model Ts or pierce arrows, theres money in that sorta resto and they have to have a means to address friction material overhaul. 

Good sig btw, i agree.
Praise The Lord

kiko

The grease is not to tighten brakes in this case.   If the clutch disc get dry it only take a small amount of time for them to destroy their selves.

loggah

That is the same setup  had in my Franklin,there are discs with a copper coating alternating with steel discs. The ones with the bottomed bolt need replacing or you can add 2 and start re tightening. with a grapple you want to run the skidder with the grapple low and the bucket open to where the tips are just bypassing each other, this will keep it from swinging as much.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

quilbilly

Thank You Sponsors!