iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered my WM LT40HDG28

Started by pnyberg, September 28, 2009, 04:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

I thought this would be a straight-forward boring little story, but it ended up having a little twist to it.

I decided that the time had finally come to pull the proverbial trigger, and order up a mill.  My wife agreed with my reasoning as to why it makes sense to get the mill soon, even though I don't intend to try starting up a portable sawmill business for several months, so that made the decision easier.

I started out the process this morning on the Wood-Mizer site using their configurator tool.  I knew what options I wanted by this point, so It didn't take very long to click on my selections, and build the package.  As features were added, the web page kept updating the total price.  But, some of the individual option prices didn't match special offers published elsewhere on the Wood-Mizer site.  On the other hand, the configurator took $500 off the price of the Accuset, which was not a special I'd seen anywhere before.

For those keeping score at home, these were the major features I included:

Debarker
   Accuset
   Autoclutch
   Board return
   2 extra hydraulic side supports

I clicked on the button to submit my complete configuration package.  In a few minutes I got a return email that was probably automatically generated, that just contained the same information and prices that had been on the web site.  However, about 20 minutes after that, I got another email from Charlie Ryker with a total price a bit over $1300 less than the generated one.  It had all of the price reduction specials, plus an addition $500 "Extra Savings Coupon". 

So I picked up the phone and called Charlie to accept the offered price.  After doing some checking, he determined that my mill could be delivered to Hannibal, NY on Oct 27, and due to some issues with my schedule, I would pick it up on Nov 11.  I added a box of 15 blades to get me started with my practice sawing.  Charlie took a credit card number for a deposit, and then sent me some updated paperwork via email.

In the original quote, there was a $2183.69 charge for sales tax.  That's an 8% rate, not the Connecticut 6% rate.  Charlie explained that if I pick up the mill in Hannibal, I have to pay the local rate, which certainly makes sense.  If I had the mill delivered, WM would not have to collect the NY tax, but obviously, there would be a delivery charge.  Charlie worked this out to be $1,150 for the 300 and some odd miles one-way.  The difference between the 8% sales tax and 6% was $545.  Based on this, I had thought that we left it that we would stick with Plan A: pickup in Hannibal.

But the revised paperwork showed the $1,150 delivery fee, and $0 for the sales tax.  I decided that I had had enough excitement for one day, and would just leave things as they were for the moment.

But that was not to be. 

About an hour later, the phone rings, and I find myself talking with Dave Scott, sales manager for the Northeast region (i.e. Hannibal office), if my information is up to date.  I "knew" Dave from watching the quarter-sawing segment of "The Edge on Sawing" DVD series.  He's got a pretty distinctive speaking style, so I knew who he was before he'd managed to introduce himself.

Dave called me because he's got a machine that's been used as a demo model that is (or can be) configured exactly like the one I just ordered, except that this unit has the "Command Control" station, and he wondered if I might be interested.  During the course a long wide-ranging chat, I admitted that the benefits of the control station were appealing.  He said he had to push the numbers around, and check the machine hours, and would call me back.

Which of course he did.  It turns out that the machine had been used in exactly one show.  He himself had used it to demo at the Wooden Boat show in Mystic, CT earlier this year.  So close!  It has 6 hours on it.  The additional cost to me over a brand new walk-along model would be $392.  I told him that I would take it.

The other advantage to this unit is that it's available now, kinda.  They really couldn't have it ready to go until next week, and unfortunately, I'll be away next week.  But even the week after would still be almost a month sooner than waiting for the new unit.

And I've pretty much decided to have it delivered after all.

--Peter
No longer milling

Dave Shepard

That's Great news! 8) 8)

I deal with Dave and crew for our Wood-Mizer support. They have been absolutely fantastic. Welcome to the Wood-Mizer family. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

You lucky guy, you.  8) 8)

Prolly good that you had some good discussions about the various options prior to being on the phone.

Nice goin.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pnyberg

Quote from: beenthere on September 28, 2009, 05:44:54 PM
Prolly good that you had some good discussions about the various options prior to being on the phone.

Good Point!!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on options earlier.  I really appreciate it, even if I didn't follow your particular suggestion!

--Peter
No longer milling

Bibbyman

Wow!  What a fast and furious day of wheelin' and dealin'! 

Too much thinking for me.  But you'd been doing your home work so you didn't have to study it all out again.

Congratulations! 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

backwoods sawyer

I think you will be very glad that you was able to get the command control, as I am with mine, I am younger then you are and it saves a considerable amount of walking during the day so you can have the energy to handle all those slabs and lumber that you will be cutting. Just remember that when you load a 1,500lb log on the mill that someone has to pack it all, except for the small amount of sawdust, back off the mill and stack it, and that someone is usually you.
Hope that you can occupy your elf until the mill is delivered.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

petefrom bearswamp

Hear! hear! on Dave Scott and the boys at Hannibal!
Always get good help and advice from them.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Good things can still happen to good people...Congratulations and welcome to the WM family..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

raycon

Congrats on the purchase, here is a photo of the mill you purchased - demo day at Mystic Seaport ( 2009 Wooden boat show) .  Or at least the business end of the mill.

Wooden boat show 2009. Definitely a show to visit. Figured I throw in some photos. The only thing the show does not
have is decent food. The foundry,forge, cooper,sign carving,boat building, mills,saws, timber frames, steam boxes, steam engines...
Some of the live demo's included casting bronze, forge, screw machine, steam engines.

Saw shed at Mystic

One vendors booth

Slicks and Adzes

The Morgan restoration.

The Forge

Cool stuff. Sorry for the side track. Been meaning to post some photos since June figured this was close to on topic.
The logs laying all over the yard of size. Are mostly live oak salvaged from the hurricanes down South a few years back. The Seaport uses a Lucas to break them down. Or at least they have a Lucas sitting next to the Lane and a nice ship saw.

Lot of stuff..

pnyberg

Thanks for the pictures of the show.  I'm going to have to make an effort to get down there next year.

Thanks for the picture of my mill too.  Nice to see that the side supports were down nice and low.  It's important to me that I be the first sawyer to run the blade into one  ;)

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

Quote from: pnyberg on September 29, 2009, 02:40:17 PM
It's important to me that I be the first sawyer to run the blade into one  ;)--Peter

All in due time my friend.....all in due time..... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nas

Quote from: Magicman on September 29, 2009, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: pnyberg on September 29, 2009, 02:40:17 PM
It's important to me that I be the first sawyer to run the blade into one  ;)--Peter

All in due time my friend.....all in due time..... ;D
No actually it happens pretty quickly, usually the second log. >:( :o ::)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

Congrats on the new mill.  I look forward to hearing about your adventures in the sawmill business. 

Nice pictures Raycon. Thanks.  The wooden boat show is one I will try to visit someday. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

nas

oh yah,  congrats on the new mill 8) 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

MotorSeven

I have LT40 envy.....

I was at an auction the other day and a '03 LT40hd went for $14K+. It had 1600 hrs & did not appear to have been taken care of very well. You did good!

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Looking forward to some pictures when you get some sawdust on it. Have you been around sawmills before all this? You will enjoy it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John_Haylow

Congratulations on your new mill Peter. 8)

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

pineywoods

Peter, now start thinkin about hackin the accuset to make it fully automatic. I've done a little dreamin about sticking an old outdated laptop on mine to go along with the remote control. Probably wouldn't be practical for sawin logs, but once you get the log down to a cant, why not
smiley_huh2      pc_smiley
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pnyberg

Maybe a WiFi interface, so I could run the mill while warming up by the woodstove?   :)
No longer milling

rjboll

Dave Scott is one of the BIG reasons I bought my first Woodmizer (LT-15). He spent time with me on an extremely cold day in York, Pa. answering all of my questions. I have learned much from Dave by attending Woodmizer events.
You will be happy with your LT40HD. I bought one two years ago and have been very satisfied with it. My son & grandson & I do portable sawing. With good help 2500 bd ft days are the norm. We have sawed 3800 bd ft but the logs were 16' & averaged 20"and the customer had enough help to tag-team every other board.
Good Luck
Be Safe
Have Fun

Bob

pineywoods

Quote from: pnyberg on October 01, 2009, 10:49:46 AM
Maybe a WiFi interface, so I could run the mill while warming up by the woodstove?   :)

Hey, why not, I already have a video link to my computer in the house, The mill has remote control via infra red,  and I think I have a couple of them infra red repeaters that would reach that far, now if I could just figure out some way to deal with the slabs ........  smiley_idea
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

customdave

Easy!!!! conveyors back to the wood stove...? ???

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

pnyberg

I made brief mention way back in this thread that I was going to be away for a week (last week).  If I had canceled the long-planned vacation in Maine, I might have been able to take delivery of the mill a few days sooner, but it would have cost me my marriage.   :)

Dave Scott told me that he would use the time to make sure the mill was up to spec, which is a process I certainly wouldn't want to rush.

Bright and early this morning, I got a call from Jeremy, who will be traveling from the Hannibal office to someplace in Maine (coincidentally) latter this week, and could deliver the mill to me on Thursday.  Works for me.

More later, with pictures, of course.

--Peter
No longer milling

OneWithWood

and another ones gone
another ones gone
another one bites the dust

have fun and don't forget to stop to eat dinner and hug the family!   8) 8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!