iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Isn't it great to have a job where you can say, "I'm hot, I think I'll go to the woods".  :D

TexasTimbers

Quote from: beenthere on August 06, 2008, 03:26:54 PM...I'm ready for it to  .... snow. 

Go wash your mouth out with soap young man!  candle_smiley fire_smiley smiley_sick
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Handy Andy

We had some nice showers here in the Kansas desert yesterday.  Nearly 2 inches.  Those beans and alfalfa will be celebrating for a couple weeks. I'm celebrating for the next week. Usually it doesn't rain here till the first of September.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

thecfarm

Looks like the weather has finally settled down.I forgot to mention I even turned the furnace on one morning,in August.That's a first for me.My FIL had his on almost every morning.If it's not 80 he's cold. I'm waiting out a shower now.Will be all over in a few minutes.Not like the way it's been for the last 2-3 weeks.I felt bad for the people who plan a year ahead for a vacation here.Been raining here almost steady for 3 weeks it seems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Well it's not what you call southern heat here for sure. Not many days in the 80's, I think less than 1 dozen. Mostly mid 70's for highs, but very humid. So it feels hot. We don't seem to get any dry cool NW winds this summer.  ::) Rains or showers almost daily, nothing dries. Rivers and brooks are high, up into the bushes along the banks. Had flooding up along the St Francis River, that borders with Maine in the far north end.

I wonder what the salmon fishing would be like this summer on the Upsulquitch R. with all this water? You need lots of clear water up there to get good fishing and canoeing over the gravel bars.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kansas

I dont think I have ever seen a year that had more timely rains for the crops than this one. Except for about 3 days, the summer has been milder by far than normal. Friend of mine put in a center pivot irrigation system two years ago on a field. He still hasnt run it yet, outside of getting it out of the way for planting. He said his corn silage made just over 30 ton per acre.

DanG

We've had a good summer for rain here, too. :)  We've not had many weeks without a good soaker, and the weeds are happy.  Those pore folks up there in Georgia(USA) are still pretty much parched though.  There is a little ol' Tropical Storm named Faye that might give them some relief and fill up their drinkin' puddle.  It might get a little breezy around here if she does what they think she will, but it will be worth it to see them get some rain!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mike_van

Other than too much rain [every 2 days] This has been the coolest August I can remember!   8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thecfarm

I thought it had settled down.Shower,so called,took about 4 hours to end.About 45 minutes from me a couple roads got washed out and had to be closed down.These was state roads too,not some small town back road. Hail as big as 1½ in some towns.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Bring it on Faye, bring it on :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

We had our only 90 degree temp the 1st week of June then it cooled off and was damp for a month.  Not good haying weather instead of three weeks like last year we were six weeks getting it done.  July dried out and it stayed cool.  Temps were seldom into the mid 80s with some days only in the mid 60s and many nights temps got into the low 50s and in some instances the mid 40s.  August has seen a little rain but we're still dry.  Lawns are brown and the the pumpkins need a drink.  They're pretty stressed and with the heavy August dews powdery mildew is showing up now.  We've also got a real issue with bacterial wilt from the striped cucumber beetles.  Not gonna be a banner year for Zach's pumpkins but we've learned from our 1st experience with this pest.  It's supposed to get into the mid 80s today and range back and fourth into the the mid 70s all week with slight chances of rain.  It's been the coolest summer we've had in several years but turned real dry after a wet start.  Fall is only a couple weeks away  :-\  Note sure where the summer went  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodcarver

We average about a half-dozen days of temperatures in the 90's.  Haven't had one this year.

We were wet early in the summer, but we're behind on moisture now.  We've been watering our vegetable garden and flower beds.  We'll have to water our fruit trees if we don't get significant rain this week.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Maineloggerkid

I can back up what thecfarm is saying. here in Maine, its been one long mud season since the snow melted. I can't wait for things to freeze up, so I can get on some lower ground. I have a bunch of places I want to be, but its far to wet to take the skidder into.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

IMERC

winter returned Thursday night to the mountains......
it's kinda sorta grudgingly letting go now....

that gave us about three weeks of not winter....

sure was a short what ever it was...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

submarinesailor

I just read this morning that August, so far, has been about 24 cooling degree day less than last year.  That's an average acorss the country.

Bruce

IMERC

it's AG's global warming...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Mooseherder

We were in Maine for 17 days and I think we got some kinda rain on some 12 of those days.  :D  Even when it didn't rain, it looked like it was going to.  It still was a nice change from the heat and night temps of 52 on most nights was awesome.
Now we are back home and Hurricane Fay is dumping plenty of rain on us.  I hope someone informs the South Florida Water management people the drought is over. :D

Tom

I've been watching it on the RADAR and it looks like it's going to be a wet one.   It's huge too, Reaching well off shore on the East Coast while the eye  is over Immokolee on the west side of the Glades.   It covers the entire southern half of the State.  Being this large, it might survive being over land.  It's getting a lot of water from the Atlantic and that bucket is huge.

Mooseherder

The weather man is saying we "Could" get as much as 12 inches. ::)
A co worker just called me to tell me to stay home cause he just swamped his car.  I said  "I already thought of that and gave myself the day off." ;D
I hope nobody calls me in. :D

DanG

Looks like it's gonna miss me 8) but it also looks like it's gonna miss Georgia. :'(  Of course it can always do something silly.  They're getting pretty good at predicting what a storm should do, but they haven't been able to communicate that data to the storm itself yet. :-\

As a side note, when I got up this morning, I was most curious about the storm, and the tv was on ABC's Good Morning America.  The little headline crawl at the bottom of the screen said Faye is over Cuba, and expected to reach Fla sometime tonight. ???  Well, that didn't seem right to me, so I looked at the Radar on the Internet and confirmed that ABC's report is 24 hours old!  BOY, that kind of mediocrity just chaps my backside!! >:( >:(  That's the kind of slipshod reporting that gets people killed!  If those clowns can't even copy down the report from NOAA correctly, how can we be expected to believe anything else they report? >:( >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Well, now they are predicting something silly for Faye!  They're saying she will go across Fla and out into the Atlantic, then turn around and come ashore again near Jacksonville. :o  Maybe Georgia will get some rain after all. 8) 8)

Tom

They don't know.  :D

I think they are trying to make news.  If Fay goes into the Atlantic and blows herself out, in the middle of the ocean, it's not near as exciting.   Besides, I don't want her to hit Jacksonville.  :-\

It wouldn't bother me so much if she ran up the middle of the State as a Rain Storm, but a glancing blow on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean would be like filling a bucket in Niagra Falls.  There's a lot of available power there.  :)

DanG

Quote from: Tom on August 19, 2008, 01:45:30 PM
   Besides, I don't want her to hit Jacksonville.  :-\

You don't get to vote, Tom. :D

This thing is set up to do wierd stuff.  That other big system in the Gulf turned it to the east, but it is moving off to the South and will suck Faye right in behind it.  I saw this happen back in the '60s when a Hurricane came ashore at Jax, came all the way across N. Fla, got into the Gulf and regenerated.  Then it came back ashore below Tallahassee and went right back to Jacksonville!  Just about anything is possible.

Tom

Oh yeah?!?   Well, ....... OH YEAH !?!?

ADAMINMO

Sounds like you better get your swim floaties out and air em up there Tom. Be prepared for the worse and hopefully you only get the best!!

Thank You Sponsors!