iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another couple saved from the scrap pile

Started by bushmechanic, July 19, 2015, 11:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmechanic

Some pics of another couple of skidders saved from the scrap heap. One's a S7 International and the other is a Timberjack 201B.

lopet

I guess the new rubbers on the TJ are making up for the missing engine.
What are your plans ? 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

tantoy

Good job and thanks for saving them. Is the tj with chains yours?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

bushmechanic

Lopet the 201 is mostly for parts for mine. I paid way less than the tires were worth alone so couldn't pass it up. Yes tantoy that is the machine I use to plow snow with wintertime and haul my firewood with, soon to have some newer boots on it lol. I plan to make a single rack forwarder in the near future as a project when time is available of course.

coxy

nice old iron  8) 8)    that tj is one crude looking skidder wonder how many years of school it takes to figure out how to work on it  :D  thanks for the pics

loggah

Thats some vintage iron right there!!!  ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Maine372

that's quite the set of fenders on the TJ. I wonder what the square tube on the bottom was for. looks like it would take a moffett forklift or something.

HiTech

Good job, nice old machines. Fixed up you could still make a dollar or two with them. I was probably a teenager when they where built.

huskyxp

Seen a few old skidders in my area with those type fenders so they could pile 8 foot stud and pulp wood , wrap cable around pile and bind against back then hammer down to landing!

bushmechanic

Yes huskyxp that's how we haul wood here too. Skidders are gone from our woods now all hauling is done with forwarders. Here's a pic of my machine from a couple of years ago... got nipped up and couldn't go back and of course forgot the saw ::) 

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

Like to see the pictures of those old skidders.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

Couple of nice saves there!!! Wow bushmechanic!  That is one way to drag shortwood 8) i have not seen that method before!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

tantoy

Quote from: bushmechanic on July 19, 2015, 07:46:47 PM
Yes huskyxp that's how we haul wood here too. Skidders are gone from our woods now all hauling is done with forwarders. Here's a pic of my machine from a couple of years ago... got nipped up and couldn't go back and of course forgot the saw ::)

LIKE!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Lumberjohn

Always been Timberjack fan and that is an old one. I saw early Timberjack brochures on Ebay a while ago and there is a model that looks more primitive from 60-63 if I remember correctly. I like that S7, it looks fairly straight and is probably a lot newer than the TJ.

huskyxp

Quote from: bushmechanic on July 19, 2015, 07:46:47 PM

rite on, ya most everyone here is cut to length nowadays but back in 90's when wood prices where high a guy up Rd from me bought a lot of old skidders off the rock for resale and parting out! Someday I got to get over there for a moose or trout vacation lol looks beautiful over there

kiko

I too can't stand to see them go down as scrap.  My problem is they always seem to show up when I have  the least money.  Also have a weakness for ford trucks ( my wife refers to it as a mental illness). Do you plan to restore or revive s7.  Either way great finds.

bushmechanic

Kiko I may make a forwarder out of that S7, not sure yet. I have been watching for a C4 Tree farmer to make one because a lot of the 201 Timberjack parts are interchangeable. I bought the S7 because I needed a tire at the time and that was on the market. Huskyxp I saw a moose this morning and two stag caribou on the way to work. I guess I should have tied one on for you ;D

thecfarm

bushmechanic,how do you bunch the wood up like that?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

larry1

In the late 60's I stared as a choker kid to learn the trade and rode on top of that Timderland Ellicott winch . The engine was a 4 cyl  Ford gas, and when it failed we extended the front frame and installed a 6 cyl  ohv  international  , that gave it way more power and better weight transfer .  The S8 were popular for a while and would pull good with that 6 cyl  diesel ,but don't remember any S7 around here . Your  right about the old C4  , they also had the 4 cyl gas ford  and other similar parts -- they are both great finds --have fun with that old iron .

Larry --ont.

bushmechanic

thecfarm, I lay the main cable out behind the machine and pile the wood up against the back of the skidder on the cable. I usually pile 3/4 to a cord of wood or logs then hook the cable chokers together pull her tight and off you go.The lower that you have the cable end to the back of the pile the better it will pick it up and keep the wood out of the mud. I cut and pile my wood in the woods on "a brow stick" also when I don't have the machine handy. You have to get two high stumps of which you v-notch and put a 10 foot stick in the notches, then pile your wood on the stick on one side and on the ground on the other. This way you can back into the pile and slide the cable under the "brow" pick it and rock and roll baby.

jocco

I heard THERE WAS A PRE 201 THAT WAS A TEST modle.I hered it called a 190, 195 once but not sure. Could have been some changes over time. Dad saw one of the first in late 50's or early 60 got to watch it and said he could see the horses days were numberd ;D

Quote from: Lumberjohn on July 20, 2015, 11:22:17 AM
Always been Timberjack fan and that is an old one. I saw early Timberjack brochures on Ebay a while ago and there is a model that looks more primitive from 60-63 if I remember correctly. I like that S7, it looks fairly straight and is probably a lot newer than the TJ.
You may check out but you will never leave

Thank You Sponsors!