iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawin' again

Started by Bigdogpc, April 29, 2004, 03:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdogpc

Yup, hidden away from nosey neighbors, surrounded by mobile homes and ferocious looking dogs the TK 1220 is back in action!  If the code enforcement guy finds me now he will have to brave the dogs to just get a peek at what I'm doing.

The Monkey blades cut fantastic!  First log was a very dry hickory followed by a mostly dry live oak then water oak then some pines and that blade is still singing!

Was having some trouble with blade guide bearings going out, found the problem to be too much blade contact....duh.  I sure felt foolish about that.

The TK 1220 is a manual mill with a hand crank for raising the head up and down.  Mine had been kinda jumping and hanging and in general very annoying when setting for a cut.  The cure was lubing the cone shaped bushing at the crank handle.  Made a world of difference.

I'm so tickled I went out and picked up 23 pine logs (sounds impressive anyway...) some of them will make some good lumber, the rest MIGHT make 4 x 4's! :D

The design stages for enlarging/modifying the mill is in full swing.  I think I'm suffering from "homemizer" envy!!!  Gonna increase from 12' to 16' capability by adding an extension.

nuff said.  I b sawing again!!

Fla._Deadheader

8) 8) 8) 8)  Good news, BigDog. Glad you got the fire burnin again. Anytime ya want, fetch the youngun over and have at some Cypress. We can have anything in the burn pile, also.

Got them Bridge Timber arch logs layin here, now. About 16' X 24" dia. ;D ;D

Glad to hear ya got organized. Any help needed for mods, just ask.  8) 8) 8) 8)  

Got any extra water  ::) ::) :-/ :-/
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bigdogpc

Thanks FDH!!!!  I figure to keep plugging unless they catch me again!!!!!  IF that happens....I guess I will hafta move!!

Ain't you using mobile home axles?  If so, whut kinda tires you got on them?

Fla._Deadheader

Yep. Mobile Home Axles. I get 7 X 14.5 lowboy tires for $67.00 + all the Governor's graft. I figger they will hold up ole Homey. Use 'em on the 28' goosey necker, also. Only 8 X 14.5 on it, though.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

YEEEHAWW!  Glad to hear it, Dave! 8) 8)  Things looked pretty bleak, for a while. Just goes ta show ya; ya just gotta keep the faith and keep on pluggin'. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

westpalm

nice 1 bigdog ,,,, as me old granma used ta say ,,,,dont let the bar stewards grind ya down  ;D .... good luck

Bigdogpc

Thanks guys!  It WAS lookin' pretty bleak...for the moment it is lookin' promising.

FDH:  The boy won't be doin' much sawin until the weather cools again.  Even leaving the house by 6am it is rather warm when we get there.  I may pick yur brain a time or two when I start building/modifying.  With the price of steel...it may take a while to get what I want.

DanG:  I'm still figurin' to get up your way first chance I get.  You been warned! :D

WestPalm:  Let me know when you want to try and take a look see at my mill and we will work something out.  I can give ya directions to my Dad's place (easy to find) then meet you there and go back to the mill.

Bothy_Loon

Hello out there.
Just saying hi. I have enjoyed looking at the Forum I decided to join up.
I use a Lumbermate mk4 for fun. I cut mostly softwood but of late have hit a strong demand for hardwood mostly Oak & Elm but now I have an order for Birch planks. This used to be regarded as a weed tree over here.
Might send some pics once I have worked out how to do it!
Bothy Loon

Ianab

Hi Bothy

Welcome to the forum, allways good to hear what other people in different parts of the world are up to. Brush up on the picture posting thing and let us see what you are doing there

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Norm

Welcome aboard Bothy, nice to see a new member from your part of the world. Posting pictures isn't to hard once you get the hang of it.  :)

Bothy_Loon

Thanks for making me welcome .
Sorry to butt in on someone elses topic but I was not sure how to start a new topic. Mad Scotsman no good with computer!!
Got it sorted now & will send some pics of a Forestor 150 bandmill that I still operate on specials at work.

Bothy

Bigdogpc

Welcome Bothy!!!  Lookin forward to the pics!

Bothy_Loon

You would have had them but I cannot seam to get the knack of posting them.
I am milling more Elm tonight so no chance to try again.
Bothy

Thank You Sponsors!