iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

working on my timbers for my firewood processing shop. I had 11 logs that needed to be cut and stored inside, as the timbers were starting to go bad. The first 4 were good then I had a 14 inch that I could make a 8x8x13 for a post, when I finally got through with it I got 4 6 inch boards and a 10 ft 4x6 this beam looked like it had been hit by lightning.
So to make sure I am getting all the beams I need I built a model.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

ToddsPoint

Time consuming but when you build the real thing you will have no surprises.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

rjwoelk

Just a bit of carpenters glue and a 18g nailer. Just nailed my thumb once. :D
My plan is to label each timber and then check it off as its done. The weather was not very nice some days so stayed were it was warm. Should have the other 4 logs done by tomorrow, then will start measureing the stuff I have and start lableing them. The rest will come out of my new load of logs.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

This is what greeted me this morning.  Mostly Post Oak that looked like it had been down for  year and 3 SYP logs to be live edge slabbed.

I got to really practice my RRQS.   ;D

The Post Oak was all QS 4/4, and the Red Oak 7/4.  Everything was sawed "hourly rate" so no scaling and no pictures.  Most of the QS Post Oak was "knock your eyes out" pretty.

I'll go back and finish in the morning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Did they feed the logs to you in one place? or did you move the mill all over the place?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

He brought the logs to the sawmill with the tractor/FEL so I never had to wait for a log.  The customer had two helpers which made 3 people handling logs, slabs, & lumber.  It was a good day.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

With all the help he made out good by the HR, And good for you to have to not get out of the chair.
Do you think a side support on the right hand side of the chair when you're setting down would help some?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Did you pull up on them logs before or after breakfast?
Don't know if my empty belly could have taken the shock.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I was there before 7 David.   

Peter, I use a wide RV style stepstool so I am not actually stepping up/down.  If/when I need an arm lift, I grab the umbrella bracket.

Banjo picker

Did you hear the dreaded words I often hear when the oak has been down a while?  "Just slab it heavy".  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Yes I did Tim.  That plus the SYP had sawyer worms well over 3" deep.  Hourly rate is the only way to fly with stuff like this.

Peter Drouin

I meant to lean on when setting.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I prefer a headrest so I can catch a nap.   smiley_sleeping

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

WWSJR's from sawing project?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

PA_Walnut

I spy an edger back there. My Baker is one of the best things I've done. (especially when RRQS!) I can true-up the goods and make happy/pretty piles!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Yes that picture was taken during the sawing project in Texas for Austin Black (dablack), and that was Willie Steel's (wwsjr) edger.  LINK

It's a good read for some of our new members that may not be familiar with the project.

WDH

Lynn,

When I am RRQSing, I pretty much have to edge every board.  Are you having to do that, too, on the mill?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I edge on the mill, also.  I get all the edging done before starting the next log.  If you have an experienced helper, edging on the mill is not bad. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I finished and left a slab/edging/sawdust pile and a whack of lumber.  Sawed it and left.

WDH, I did very little edging which is one of the joys/advantages of portable custom sawing.  If there was one good edge where the customer could run it through his table saw, he said that it was "good enough".  He can squeak out every possible fraction of an inch from every board.

Bandmill Bandit

i am starting a job next monday where I will be sawing ALL 10' logs minimum 10" small end to 4/4 thick. Open the log flip 180* and cut to bed. No edging. ALL for wind fence slabbing.

It for a feed lot that has room for about 15000 head. Total of 5 miles of new wind fence for this cutting session.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Cutting some 14"x8"x 20'an 18' timbers for a customer on Jewett Street, Georgetown, Mass  ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

MM,

You just saws em and leaves em.  Me, I have to saws em, stickers em, air drys em, kiln drys em, planes em, and stacks em.  Em.  Em.   :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!