iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

My back aches just looking at those beams.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

Quote from: WDH on November 14, 2017, 08:04:28 PM
MM,

You just saws em and leaves em.  Me, I have to saws em, stickers em, air drys em, kiln drys em, planes em, and stacks em.  Em.  Em.   :).

I just buys them, hauls them, saws them. cuts them to length, deals with all the trash, loads them, straps them down and delivers them and sheds a tear(misses them) and goes home only to do it all over again. smiley_crying smiley_blush smiley_confused smiley_cry smiley_annoyed01 smiley_dozy_bored smiley_mellow smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

And my customer will be loading em, hauling em, and stickering em for the rest of the week, and I will be off.

Oh, but I did have to go to the bank em and deposit em the check em.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 14, 2017, 08:29:54 PM
Peter,

My back aches just looking at those beams.

Easy with the Cat. ;D

Em, I did that too MM, But not no more. Now my travel in less than a min. :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Darrel

I saws em and leaves half of em and halls the other half of em home. I'll do that 'till I don't need no mo of em then I'll do like MM and saws em and leave em all.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

longtime lurker

Quote from: paul case on November 14, 2017, 08:50:06 PM
Quote from: WDH on November 14, 2017, 08:04:28 PM
MM,

You just saws em and leaves em.  Me, I have to saws em, stickers em, air drys em, kiln drys em, planes em, and stacks em.  Em.  Em.   :).

I just buys them, hauls them, saws them. cuts them to length, deals with all the trash, loads them, straps them down and delivers them and sheds a tear(misses them) and goes home only to do it all over again. smiley_crying smiley_blush smiley_confused smiley_cry smiley_annoyed01 smiley_dozy_bored smiley_mellow smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

PC

I fells um, skids um, hauls um, saws um, docks um, treats um, stickers um, dries um, dress/moulds um, sells um, sweep floors, answer phones, and mechanic to keep this old gear running.

My fishing gear has gone rusty. I LOSE!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 14, 2017, 09:12:43 PM

Em, I did that too MM, But not no more. Now my travel in less than a min. :D :D ;)

Serious question Peter (and anyone else in the same situation)  how does that work for ya?
Reason I ask is that with Mary away on a 12 month contract and the managers residence at the mill vacant I been considering moving in there. I currently commute 1/2 hour to work.

Thing being I already spend 12 to 15 hours a day there 6 days a week and I can see the last bit of normal in my work life disappearing real quick if its 100 yards to the breakdown saw. Im a workaholic with sawdustitis.

So how do you manage to have a life away from a sawmill when you live next door?

Sorry for the hijack MM but the question is bugging me and the opportunity came up
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ianab

This afternoons mission, find the max log size capacity of the little JP.  Yes it's 36" inches on mine.

Log was a bit ugly inside with some big knots and bark inclusions, but still got some very nice boards from it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

QuoteI don't see any boards.

Some I prepared earlier.   :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

4x4American

LL that is the thing to do around here.  I know of 4 different sawmills and one millwork shop local where the guy in charge of the show lives on site.  I am trying to make that happen for me too because I'm sick and tired of a 40min commute
Boy, back in my day..

PA_Walnut

Picked up a BIG maple butt on SAT that was sitting in a hedgerow for almost a year.
Fun rewards peeling 10/4 slabs off it, after wrestling it onto the mill and trimming it up enough to get my LT40 wide past. Claw wouldn't roll it, pushed it sideways on the mill, fell off onto the arms twice, etc.    :o

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Peter Drouin

Long time, For me, I like it. I'm the only sawmill in town selling lumber. I have a sign that gives the time I open and close. [8 am to 5 pm] Close on Sundays, Only had one customer come after hours for lumber, Cows got out.  :D :D :D :D

If Ann and I want to go some place I close the gate, turn off the phones and go. ;D
The mill and house are 150 + yards apart.
A tank of gas in the truck will last 30+ days.
The only fits I have is looking for tools, I have a wood shop and metal shop, now sawmill.
Tools all over and the older I get, the less I remember where they are.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

I,well,we,  ;D  really need to take a day trip to your place Peter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

All are welcome, With a business like this you have to like [most] people. :D
Kindness and patients that I have learned from MagicMan over the years here have helped.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Peter, you have been a hard case  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

I load then saw them break my self and mill
Go back to carpentry for bit and make a 5 hour one way trip to get new parts to fix mill:)
Long Time
I never wanted to mobile saw
I like the mill yard at home
The women not so much because I don't say no when a customer wants to show up:)
But I like it :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

paul case

Quote from: WDH on November 15, 2017, 07:33:25 AM
Peter, you have been a hard case  :D.
Did you just put him in my family?

He works as hard as some of us Cases.

Mom jokes that my brother ans I were almost named mental and basket.

Quote from: Magicman on November 14, 2017, 08:56:11 PM
And my customer will be loading em, hauling em, and stickering em for the rest of the week, and I will be off.

Oh, but I did have to go to the bank em and deposit em the check em.   :D

I cut out the middle man and just give the check to my lovely wife, Anita. ;D

Keep it up bruno. You are in my prayers for a soon recovery from that broken hand.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

4x4American

Speaking of which hows your thumb (or lack thereof) Paul??  Haven't heard any updates recently.. Hope you don't drive a ford and have to hitchhike too often :D
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I forgot to mention the blades I used when I sawed the Post Oak logs in Reply #7603.  As per normal with seasoned Post Oak I started with a 4° blade which sawed true but also as usual, dulled with only two logs sawn.  I decided "what the heck" and put on a 7° Turbo.  To my surprise it sawed just as true and was still on the mill at noon.  I changed the blade at ~2:00 which not only finished Monday's sawing but also finished the job Tuesday morning.

I am sold on the 7X39 Turbo blades.  I'll still use my remaining 10° blades on ERC and clear SYP until they are all rejected and replaced with Turbos.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Well it aint growing back and phantom pain(nerve pain) is a booger to deal with but I am coping.

Sawing up quite a bit of stuff lately. Working on 50 beams for a wedding chapel and lots of other boards for them. I should say Scott is sawing most of it as I load , bundle, move, haul, and reload. BUSY and its good.

PC
pc

longtime lurker

I'm not sure that busy is good - We've been flat out since February and the gear is starting to show it - but it beats wondering where your next meal is coming from. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever find that comfortable medium where logs/workload/cash flow isn't feast or famine.

Take it while it's there and hope for a quiet month to get some maintenance done after Christmas is the current plan.  If she doesn't fall apart before then.

Stress, I haz sum.

Jim_Rogers

Today, I milled up a 8x12x16' white pine plate for a timber frame project that I'm going to cut here at the sawmill yard. This frame will then be trucked to Victor, ID. And erected there.

I estimated that the timber weighed 373 lbs but not sure.

The 2bys are the "bridge" to get it from the mill to the trailer. Should be fun unloading it by hand.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Darrel

Seeing that timber and knowing how far it is going to be trucked brings to mind the old saying: "Some folk have more money than brains."  Aren't there pine trees in ID that would make just as good a timber?  But that's ok, glad you got the job.  :)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ladylake

Quote from: Magicman on November 15, 2017, 09:46:15 PM
I forgot to mention the blades I used when I sawed the Post Oak logs in Reply #7603.  As per normal with seasoned Post Oak I started with a 4° blade which sawed true but also as usual, dulled with only two logs sawn.  I decided "what the heck" and put on a 7° Turbo.  To my surprise it sawed just as true and was still on the mill at noon.  I changed the blade at ~2:00 which not only finished Monday's sawing but also finished the job Tuesday morning.

I am sold on the 7X39 Turbo blades.  I'll still use my remaining 10° blades on ERC and clear SYP until they are all rejected and replaced with Turbos.

I don't know why you have trouble with 4° blade staying sharp, over here they run longer than 10° blades in tough hardwood.  The only blades I've  run that were real close to the turbo 7 were some Cooks super sharp a few years back that didn't saw as straight as my sharpened 4° blades, also couldn't take a nail hit like a lower back angle blade can.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!