iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still sawin'

Started by NCDiesel, June 20, 2016, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

Its been a long time since I last posted.   The farm, and most especially my day job, have conspired to eliminate all free time for posting about any of the work I am doing.    While I do seem to run the sawmill in fits and starts, I do keep it busy enough to justify owning it.  I am currently sawing a whole bunch of pine for a hay loft floor and barn interior.  I'll need about 1000 surface feet  and I am about halfway through that now.  This week I should be able to pick up the planed and shaped pecan flooring from the pecan I have been air drying for 2 years.  Lots of interesting features in that pecan - I am real pleased with the sample the flooring shop sent me.   

I sawed some sugarberry this spring for the first time - I hate it when wood starts bowing before the blade is all the way through the log  :(    I did get six or seven  14" wide and 8' long boards that should dry stable enough to be useable.

So - this is really just an update:  I am still here and still sawing.  My grandson is not ready for the sawmill yet but here he is trying to help when we baled hay a few weeks back:

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Bruno of NH

Sounds like you are very busy :)
That's good some times :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishfighter

Got my grandson helping with the camp I'm building. He calls it the boys club house. :D Only Maw Maw can come in. No other girls. :D

I have a pecan log that I need to saw and a few more that I can get. Just got to try to find the time for it. :(

drobertson

Hear that,, there's no question having a mill is justifiable, it is looking pretty green your way
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

That bale looks green enough to be heavy!  It will not be long before he will be able to drive the tractor why you load hay.  Then soon after that he will load and you drive!   smiley_thumbsup

fat olde elf

Great to hear from you !!  All is well here in Stanly County.  Lots of stuff to saw. Sold my entire Hickory inventory. My oldest grandson is 20 and a Sp4 in the US Army Chemical Corps. They grow up fast.  Keep the faith......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Chuck White

Quote from: NCDiesel on June 20, 2016, 05:05:51 PM
Its been a long time since I last posted.   The farm, and most especially my day job, have conspired to eliminate all free time for posting about any of the work I am doing.    While I do seem to run the sawmill in fits and starts, I do keep it busy enough to justify owning it.  I am currently sawing a whole bunch of pine for a hay loft floor and barn interior.  I'll need about 1000 surface feet  and I am about halfway through that now.  This week I should be able to pick up the planed and shaped pecan flooring from the pecan I have been air drying for 2 years.  Lots of interesting features in that pecan - I am real pleased with the sample the flooring shop sent me.   

I sawed some sugarberry this spring for the first time - I hate it when wood starts bowing before the blade is all the way through the log  :(    I did get six or seven  14" wide and 8' long boards that should dry stable enough to be useable.

I do too, one solution I use when the boards just won't behave is to saw them wider than the cutsheet calls for, air dry them for a month or so, then put them back on the mill and re-edge them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NCDiesel

Quote from: fat olde elf on June 20, 2016, 10:04:19 PM

Great to hear from you !!  All is well here in Stanly County.  Lots of stuff to saw. Sold my entire Hickory inventory. My oldest grandson is 20 and a Sp4 in the US Army Chemical Corps. They grow up fast.  Keep the faith......

Good to hear from you too.   Still sharpening blades?   I have a few I need to get to you....

Quote from: samandothers on June 20, 2016, 08:20:33 PM
That bale looks green enough to be heavy!  It will not be long before he will be able to drive the tractor why you load hay.  Then soon after that he will load and you drive!   smiley_thumbsup

Looks that way for sure - but we were lucky.  I cut right before a spell of windy hot days with no humidy - so it dried fast and I could get it baled before any appreciable sun bleaching took place.   Those bales were all all 12-16% moisture content
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

kelLOGg

Good to hear from you, Spencer, and that you're actively sawing. I still recall the "Blue Skys..." event with fondness.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

taylorsmissbeehaven

Hey Spencer, Glad things are going well! Looks like you have some good help there. Please tell the Mrs. that we said hello. Take care, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!