iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unknown tree/shrub/??? seed

Started by Clark, February 11, 2009, 04:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

I was given this packet of seeds by my father.  He claims I collected them years ago.  I don't recall it and have absolutely no clue what these seeds are.  As the title indicates, they could be from a tree, shrub, flower, etc.  My best guess is that they came from SE MN.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Dodgy Loner

Those are castor beans, from the castor bean plant (Ricinus communis).  The seed is the source of castor oil, and the seed coat contains ricin, which is a highly toxic poison.  Castor bean plants are tropical but are often used as annual ornamentals in temperate climates.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I thought they looked like legumes. Didn't know what.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

Thanks for the reply Dodgy.  Although, I was really hoping it was some sort of tree seed...guess I'll just toss them instead of trying to get one to germinate.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Banjo picker

The old folks down here would plant one or two in their garden .   The reason was supposedly to keep moles away.  That may just be an old tale, but my Mom would always do it.  I guess we could start a thread about that. :D :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

I didn't have to take that as medicine, I graduated after that era. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 12, 2009, 09:09:52 AM
I didn't have to take that as medicine, I graduated after that era. :D

I was made to take it a few times.  It will sure enough stop a kid from playing off sick to miss school  :D Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tom

Wooeee-e-e--e!  Charlie and I sure got a snoot full of Castor Oil when we were little.  Mom would manhandle me to the bathtub.  then she would sit me on the floor and put my chest against the tub and my arms hanging outside.  Then she would put her knee or thigh in the middle of my back.  Then she grabbed my hair and bent my head back.  Then.... , and then.... here came the serving spoon full of castor oil.

I'll bet there is still castor oil all over the wall and the window sill on the other side of the tub.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!