iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Basswood?

Started by jtbartlett, May 07, 2010, 08:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtbartlett

Hello I am new here and I need help identifying this tree. It looks like an ash but it isn't as there is alternate not opposite branching. It's approx 60-70' tall and 18-22" at chest height. It's a late leafer here in VT. Everything else is in (except ash) already. Here's what I'm pretty sure of: it's  not an ash maple or oak of any kind. Anyone help me out? Thanks.  I made a gallery with 3 pictures of the tree named "Identify this tree".

jtbartlett

I made an album called identify this tree. I have no idea how to attach JPEGS to messages. It looks like the only allowed file attachemnts : xlsx, txt, doc, pdf, xls, wks, html, htm, shtml, kmz, eml

???

John Mc

Here's a link to the help page for posting photos:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,23851.0.html

I couldn't find your album. If you , you can update your profile information to tell us a bit about yourself. You can make your photo galleries much easier for us to find by editing your profile: click on the "Profile" button at the top of the page. Then look at the items in the left column (to the right of the ads). Click on "Forum Profile Information". Scroll down the page to "My Photos" and follow the directions there. This adds a link to your photo gallery in the info which appears at the left of any post you make.

Where in Vermont are you? I'm in Monkton, VT (Champlain Valley).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Certainly fits the bill JT. The leaves will be quite large and heart-shaped. The inner bark is quite fibrous, good for ropes.

To post your images, all you needed was to click the thumbnail and the posting code appears in the window below, copy and paste into post.

Also, hover your mouse pointer over your user name to get your user number... u=####, at bottom of your browser window. Add 10000 to that number and put it into your profile page to link to your photos. There is a list of links in your profile page you can see which one has the "My Photos" field to place the number into. Then we can have a direct link from any of your posts to your photo gallery.

I have 3 basswood saplings in my yard. Yours looks like a great specimen. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

jtbartlett

AAHHHH!!! Thanks a million folks. I'll have to bone up a bit on adding pictures. I'm in Northeast VT looking to purchase 4ac of Land in Barnet VT. There are about 20 fairly large basswood trees on the treeline. My heart stopped for a second when the initial thought was butternut....alas not to be. :) Thanks again for the help.

Ron Scott

~Ron

tonich

QuoteIs this Basswood?

Nope! It's a Lime!  ;D

SwampDonkey

I could never figure that designation in Europe. A lime is a citrus tree.  ;) :D

A lynden tree, maybe I can live with. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RedHawkRidge

Basswood's common proper name is Linden.  Big leaf linden, I think.  You can google it and get lots of sites to help ID it.
The wood is very light colored and uniform -- it's used for woodcarving.  A tree will push a lot of suckers out from the base.  When cut, the stump will generate lots of suckers which grow very fast and are extremely weak, growing in all directions.
Jim

SwampDonkey

We cut brush, pre-commercial thinning, and a guy asks me what's that real soft tree that cuts easy, looks like a popple but big leaves. Basswood, I told him. He said he wished all the trees were basswood, snips off real quick. ;D

We have a few trees up this way that a lot of the fellas never seen before.  ;) The boss didn't know we were cutting in butternut this spring. If it's soft it's popple I guess. :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!