iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What To Do With Basswood?

Started by DeepWoods, November 23, 2011, 03:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepWoods

I was out cutting Black Ash for an upcoming project yesterday, and cut down what I thought was a nice Black Ash.  I should have noticed when I kicked out the wedge that it wasn't what I thought.  After it hit the ground I saw that it was not an ash.  It was a nice creamy white inside so my first thought is it must be a basswood.  I ended up with four nice 100 inch bolts that I hauled to the mill.  So what can I use it for?  I know wood carvers like it, but I don't know of any in my area.  I did a search and it seems that is the only use it has.  Any suggestions?  I hate to let it go to waste, and it apparently doesn't even make for good firewood. 
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Riggs

I have seen basswood blocks on eBay for sale...Others may have better options.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

T Welsh

Carving blocks are hot sellers,all sizes too.decoy makers down to whittlers and dont forget to put one up for the artists in extra big size. I did a lecture for a wood carving club and they all asked if I had any. Its very rare in my neck of the woods.I am sure there are other uses for it,but finding the market is hard for us little guys.Tim

Axe Handle Hound

I've seen it milled into paneling and wainscotting and it didn't look too bad.  Also makes nice moulding if it's clear.  Sands easy and takes paint really well. 

SwampDonkey

My grandfather used some as molding on the cupboards.

We have basswood here and there are a few carvers. One fellow makes beautiful song birds, paints them and builds a perch and a base for them. Realistic. Mom bought one, an oriole I think. Nice. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

purple otter

Basswood makes nice contrast strips on a cedar canoe,especially when you put it next to black walnut.
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

j rock

A friend of mine use it to make, bee hives.
whats fun? making saw dust!!

DeepWoods

So if I were to cut and air dry some 12/4 thick slabs, should it be quarter sawn, or doesn't it matter?  Thinking it could be resawed thinner after it was dry if needed.  Also can it sit for a while before sawing, or is the sooner the better like most logs?
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

beenthere

Especially the sooner the better with basswood.
Basswood logs go downhill within days or weeks of cutting the tree. Worse in warm weather, not so bad in the winter.
Don't see where quarter-sawing will buy you much as the grain is not distinguishable.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeepWoods

Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend.  Thanks for all the suggestions, and comments.  Now all I have to do is to be able to distinguish a black ash from a basswood. 

SwampDonkey

My father used to confuse it for hard maple until it was on the ground. The bark always fooled him.  ;D

We were cutting firewood one time and I was on the yard. My brother came out of the woods with a twitch and I asked him why father started cutting basswood for firewood. Found out why, didn't know it was basswood. Then dad said when he finally emerged from the woods and scratched his head a little when asked about it: "it'll burn". :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Full Circle

I was just reading (re-reading) Eric Sloane's A Reverence for Wood this evening, and he mentions how Basswood (Linden) was often used for wooden box packaging in the late 1800's.  I did a quick search of Linden and more than one site mentioned the use of Basswood for guitar bodies. 
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

r.man

They used to call it boxwood here and I expect it was used for that because it was clear and light. The only use I know of for it now is for oven frames for fruitcake. My sister has a commercial bakery and makes thousands of fruitcake in a year. The cakes are baked in a paper sleeve and the sleeve sits in a frame made of basswood to support it until it is baked. Her partner came from a family of bakers but I suspect they originally used it because it would have been free from old broken or surplus boxes and crates. They keep using it however because it works well for the job.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

SwampDonkey

Yes boxwood was a common name for it here to.

Ron Wenrich

I had a decoy carver that would take my basswood cut into 6x8 for goose bodies, and 4x6 for duck bodies.  No heart. The were from 8/4.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kansas

Knew a guy that made high dollar blinds for houses out of it. Knew another guy that made picture frames.  Different designs and stuff. If you cut it for carvers, the thicker the better. The best seller we have is 4 inch thick. We have occasionally cut thicker. Try to work around the heartline. As far as marketing goes, Think internet, craigslist, E-Bay. I have had carvers tell me they like the basswood out of the north country more than what grows in my area. Also, I suspect there are more carvers than you realize in your area. Poke around and see what groups might be in your area, and the areas of the bigger cities close to you. People will drive a fair amount of miles in search of good wood. Call some woodworking shops and they will probably know of them. People who work with wood tend to know everyone that works with wood. Kind of like sawmillers.

Al_Smith

It's also called linden .Pretty poor firewood .It's soft  so it is popular with bee keepers to build supers out of ,also model builders like it because it's carving properties .

I think it may have some use in musical instruments or did at one time .

It won't take weather so if you want to keep it I'd cut it up to whatever ,planks etc and get in under cover in a timely manner .

coyotencuttin

People use it for fur stretchers. Maybe look in the phone book for trapping supplies and find out if somebody locally had a need for clear wide boards. They may give you target sizes. Was thinking coyote was about 8 inches and mink and muskrat was around 3 inches. Alot of People would rather use wood than metal.
Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic.

Taylortractornut

The motor home company I work for use tons of it  in the cabinet shop as well as poplar.    Im not sure what they  use it for.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Corley5

I've got some 2X10 floor joists and 2x6 studs in my house along with some 1x sheathing  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!