iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big basswood?

Started by woodjunky, November 24, 2014, 03:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Clark,

First time that I have heard of it too.  Nature abhors commonality. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OH Boy

with the peeling bark I've gotta go with Silver Maple too. Older Red Maples get rougher bark on the trunk as they age, but usually not peeling like that. One way to tell Reds in the winter is the bark on the upper limbs is generally smooth gray like a younger tree. if you can see a decided change up top, probably Red Maple. if rough bark all the way up, Silver. If its an older tree and one side of the bark ridges is curling out, indication of a sugar maple. tap it.

woodjunky

There is water near by.... The Silver maple buds i seen from the pics were similar to red maple but not quite as red and not quite as rounded in their bunching...I will check the upper bark in the morning. we'll get to the bottom of this! Im hanging on to red maple theory... but the silver maple near water theory threatens that.... I just dont want to change my mind for the 8th time:)

WDH

You can tell them apart from the leaves. 

Red maple usually has 3 shallow cut lobes, and there are teeth between the lobes.

Silver maple usually has 5 deeply cut lobes with teeth between the lobes.

Sugar maple usually has 5 lobes, and there are no teeth between the lobes.

There may be some fallen leaves under the tree that are in good enough condition to allow you to positively ID this tree. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on December 07, 2014, 07:20:11 AM

There may be some fallen leaves under the tree that are in good enough condition to allow you to positively ID this tree.

I'll bet there is... right under da turty inches of snow that's fallen on top of them.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WmFritz

Btw, how many lobes are on the Canadian flag?   ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Looks like red maple. Big buds on them are next years flower buds. Go out in spring before leaves and them things will be bloomed out in red.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: WmFritz on December 07, 2014, 10:51:16 PM
Btw, how many lobes are on the Canadian flag?   ;D

5, and there are no teeth between the lobes.

woodjunky

Yea turdy inches of compacted snow.... Melted down from the 5 feet we already got........ :-\
It is hiding all my Cherry burls I thought were culls. Since then i cut up a very rotten burl that was perfectly fine 1/2 to 1 inch in...

Clark

Quote from: woodjunky on December 07, 2014, 12:45:39 AM
There is water near by.... Tbut the silver maple near water theory threatens that.... I just dont want to change my mind for the 8th time:)

I should have been more specific. If you are in or near a flood plain then it is more likely to be silver maple. Red maple grows near water quite frequently, especially low spots in the landscape but it is less common in flood plains.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Up here, our silver maple is in river bottom and isands of the main river. Red maples grow up here in swamps, wetlands edges, to dry hardwood ridges. I've seen them in among the cattails when a cedar swamp is cut off. When the leaves turn color in fall in them gutted out swamps, it's the only thing that looks nice about it unless cattails and sedge is your thing.  ::) Takes a white cedar in those places 20 years to get to 6'.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!