iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

central boiler 1450

Started by 10mmJ, August 23, 2014, 09:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10mmJ

Hello , new guy here. I built a 3360sf house in 2013 and installed the central boiler 1450 . other than the couple hiccups (replaced blower fan and firestar2)over the last heating season I love the 1450. Both problems I had were replaced under warranty in 2 days both times.
In early April I shut the boiler down for the summer. I cleaned everything on the 1450 and lightly oiled the inside of the firebox. The only thing that I could not inspect was the  primary air solenoid elbow. I could not get the elbow out of the rubber boot.
If any of you have this model boiler was the elbow extremely difficult to remove? Any tips for removing it? I don't want to take a beater to it . yes I did loosen the 2 hose clamps  ;D
Central Boiler E-Classic 1450
Mahindra 3016
MTD 25 ton splitter

Jack72

Quote from: 10mmJ on August 23, 2014, 09:43:49 PM
Hello , new guy here. I built a 3360sf house in 2013 and installed the central boiler 1450 . other than the couple hiccups (replaced blower fan and firestar2)over the last heating season I love the 1450. Both problems I had were replaced under warranty in 2 days both times.
In early April I shut the boiler down for the summer. I cleaned everything on the 1450 and lightly oiled the inside of the firebox. The only thing that I could not inspect was the  primary air solenoid elbow. I could not get the elbow out of the rubber boot.
If any of you have this model boiler was the elbow extremely difficult to remove? Any tips for removing it? I don't want to take a beater to it . yes I did loosen the 2 hose clamps  ;D
Yes it is difficult the very first time I recall.      if you can grab with a big pair of channel locks like 440's or small pipe wrench 14" and twist and move up and down it will come eventually remember to unhook solenoid wires so when it does go you don't jerk your wires out if that doesn't work run a small thin screwdriver inside of boot to metal elbow maybe to help loosen   Once I got mine off I brushed a thin coat of never-seize on mine never had trouble after

Hope this helps.
  Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

10mmJ

Thanks Jack72 I will give it another try today. The never-seize will be going on for sure when I finally get the elbow off.  Jack72  I see your from Braidwood. Wife and I belonged to the swsc down there for years. We would buy camp fire wood from the guy across the street . I would go over there and see his owb and tell my wife "that boiler is awesome" and "some day we will have one". Well it took a few years and a move to NH but we finally have one.
Mahindra 3016
MTD 25 ton splitter

10mmJ

I used a small screw driver as Jack recommended and then a couple soft taps from a rubber hammer and it came off. I am a little concerned that the air flow was being restricted by creosote . About 1/3 of the elbow and pipe its connected to were caked with creosote. I removed all creosote from the elbow and pipe and reassembled . I will be removing this monthly during the heating season for inspection/cleaning from now on.   
Mahindra 3016
MTD 25 ton splitter

doctorb

Welcome to the Forestry Forum 10mmJ.  I have a CB e-2300 and have 5 heating seasons under my belt.  I clean that solenoid every spring.  Once, I cleaned it during the heating season because I was trying to diagnose an air flow problem.  It was about 40% blocked, but was not my issue.  Mine had come disconnected from its wires and wasn't working at all!

My point is that I think that a monthly clean out of that solenoid pathway is a little too often.  While it's easy, once you know how, it really doesn't need it more than once a year.  It may depend on how long a burning season you select.  Best of luck.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

talldog

I 2nd Doctorb,s response. However, if wood is not really as dry as it should be, there could be a little more build-up. I have checked mine a few times after I learned about it and it generally has not been too plugged. My wires were very loose and I taped them before they were a problem.

10mmJ

I burned a lot of pine and hemlock last year. Due to the long winter I ended up buying some ash wood that was not fully seasoned. I'm sure both of these things contributed to the excess creosote. Maybe I will just check it in January about half way through my heating season.   
Thanks for the input guys smiley_beertoast
Mahindra 3016
MTD 25 ton splitter

Thank You Sponsors!