iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much timber is this?

Started by Nate Surveyor, January 29, 2007, 09:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

45 pines, 12" dia chest high. They go up to about 24 ft, then begin having branches. Some are bigger than 12", but all are at least that big. The biggest is probably 16". Average is probably 14".
Then, there are about another 20 that are at least 8". But, I was not going to count those, as they are not very big.

How many tons, and how many board ft?

This is my first stab at timber cruising. It is in NE Texas, and belongs to a friend. We were thinking of cutting it all on the halves.

But, I want an idea of what it is worth, if he just sold the stand.

Thanks,

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Furby

Left hand side of the page, look for the red toolbox.
My 2 cents........ let them grow, those are small trees.

Nate Surveyor

Well, I agree, but the land under them is to be used for other purposes. So, trees have to come out. And it is a small stand, so they start having limbs too  soon, around the edges of the stand.

Nate

blaze83

Here are some estimates I did using the tool box at the lower right.  I figured second growth yellow pine with 1.5 logs

For 14 inch tree           

Doyel               62 bf   X  45 trees =  2790 bf
Scribner           90 bf   X  45 trees =   4050 bf
International  105 bf   X  45 trees =   4725 bf

Hope this helps gets you started
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Nate Surveyor

Thanks guys,

Problem is I have no idea about what3
Doyel, Scribner  & International are all about.

Which one should I use. I did find the calculator, and tried it, and could not figgure out what that was about.

Tons made sense to me tho.

Nate

bull

Don't try to figure them out, Use them. The figuring is already done..... 1/4 international is what I use
measure the small "tip" end and the length and read the stick there's your answer..... you sound like your trying too hard w/ everything....... This is an old tried and true proffession go with it and enjoy, trying too hard and thinking to much will ruin the fun !! 

leweee

Around the Forestry Forum that many logs is Know as aWHACK-O-LOGS ;D
Congratulations on scoring them & have fun making aWHACK-O-LUMBERout of them. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Tom

Nate,
It's time for a history lesson.  There are some short discussions on the forum somewhere about the types of scales.  I don't know where they are right off hand. They don't seem to have made it into the Knowledge base.

I'm sure a Google effort will bring up descriptions of the scales and why their existance.  Basically it has to do with the markets trying to come up with a way of measuring their logs/trees such that everybody in the line of transactions can understand the quantity of wood they are purchasing.   That is why you see such terms as "small end", "inside the bark", Diameter at breast height (DBH), etc.  To complicate it even further, an effort was made to calculate waste, such as the thickness of the sawblade, sweep of the log (how crooked), and that kind of stuff.

It makes some really interesting reading if you find an article written by someone with a lot of knowledge and a little talent.

SwampDonkey

I think this is it here Tom. I think the document is quite old, at least 30 years, because some of the references to 'current' government departments is out of date by that long and the most recent reference is 1973 or there abouts. ;D

US-Canada Log Rules

One of the oldest log rules in use is the 'New Brunswick Log Rule', which became a statute rule on April 14, 1845.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!