iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milky fluid?

Started by NCLogger, January 05, 2017, 09:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCLogger

Today I was running a 170 Franklin for a friend of mine, I  noticed a wine so naturally I checked the HYD fluid it was full but very milky.  Cap was secure and the lid/panel was screwed down so I doubt rain got to it. Any ideas folks?

OntarioAl

Condensation
Water builds up over time  I say it been a while since the hydraulic oil has been drained.
The other possibility is that somebody took the cap off and added water (vandalism)
Al
Al Raman

luvmexfood

Yep water. It can come from condensation or slip in around shifter boots etc. If real bad and weather is real cold it may freeze small valves until you run it some to warm it up. At least I have had that experience. If the equipment has set for long while the water will settle to the bottom and if you barley open a plug you can drain it out. You will first get plain water, then when it stops open a little more and you will get a milky mix and then pretty much pure oil.

That said I would change the fluid. You still wont get all the water out but most of it. Read about a mixture of alcohol, transmission fluid  etc. mixture you could make that would remove the water. Tried it. $800 later the hydraulics still don't work. Must have eaten the o-rings or something. Got 5 gallons new fluid in the truck now to change fluid in a different tractor.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

NCLogger

Thanks guys, my friend hasn't had this skidder long, so the history of it isn't clear but there's a good possibility that it sat for a while before he bought it. Those 170 Frank's  will sure pull tho I was impressed!

RHP Logging

If it's real cold it could just be foaming up. Otherwise water like the others said.
Buckin in the woods

wetdog

What type hydraulic cooler does it have?

Thank You Sponsors!