iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Got to see the new home that one of my best long term clients had built recently. They were the very first milling client I had when I upgraded to my LT40. I've milled for them 4-5 times. They used red oak, maple and poplar for flooring. An Amish firm nearby in PA dried, surfaced and T&G'd the wood. The client told me that the flooring contractor who installed it said it was the most beautiful flooring he's seen with 30 years in the business. She's tickled pink. I'll pass the credit to having good logs.  ;)

longtime lurker

Ages back Mary was in the drymill helping me one weekend and she spotted a board she liked and pulled it off. It stood against the wall for a good 6 months, maybe a year because it's Groundhog Day every day here at the sawdust factory, with "Marys board, not for sale" scrawled over it in crayon.

Then she horse traded some timber with a woodworker customer for a commission. I don't think the guy knew what he was in for!

Anyway, today 12 months and one day later, this showed up

Jewellery / keepsake box. Lid in birdseye Huon Pine with mother of pearl and paua shell Celtic knot inlay, trimmed in Queen Ebony. Main body of the box " her board": New Guinea Red Wattle, light fiddleback right over it and no matter where you look at it from it shimmers and changes colour. Insert tray in.Australian Lacewood -the real one not that Brazilian ripoff stuff -with pigskin suede linings. Top end solid brass fixings and locks imported from Europe. Sadly I can't get a picture that's even close to showing how good this thing is... me sawmillers not photographer.

And after a lovely visit the guy and his wife drove off with another carload of good stuff.

She's a happy girl, and I think she's horse traded another commission with him. And I'm happy because she's happy, and because I love it when a craftsman takes my timber and does something special with it. Good for business too... Can't get that stuff at Home Depot.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

WDH

Now that is fantastic wood and fantastic work, I don't care who you are  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

longtime lurker

I dont know why Danny but the little artisinal guys we deal with - and a lot of them are retired and/or hobby woodworkers rather then professionals - are the ones I love working with. I get a bigger kick out of seeing a box, guitar, turning work, or some little knickknack then I do out of seeing house... floor... wallpanels... kitchen. The big stuff might pay my bills but its this kinda stuff that makes it worthwhile.

I've watched the back and forth as they kicked design around and chose inlay materials and hardware and... the guys put so much time into this thing its incredible. And its perfectly what Mary wanted - a big box for her jewellery and journals that will become her youngest daughters in time, and become a heirloom piece.
Mary has a rocker and chest here that has done some miles... her great grandfather made them for her great grandmother way back when and they've travelled all over the world from Texas to get to here. This box will be like that.

I cant get a picture of it that shows what it is. It's stunning, and the workmanship is incredible in its detail: I couldn't build something like that. So much time swapped for a few boards that it makes me feel guilty in a way. Yah, okay they're good boards and they'd cost some dollars from a specialty timber seller but same as you guys when you run the mill its "just another board but a pretty one".
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Don P

I could get over the guilty feeling pretty fast  :D That is beautiful. Always neat to see different wood. In sugar pine we'll get the same effect, I think they call it cat's paw.

reedco

A lot of us need to step up!  WOW them would be really!! Big steps
Not many trees

gww

I just want to post so this thread always pops up everytime it is updated.  I am always looking for ideals to steal and so hope poeple keep posting what they are doing.
gww

WDH

Here are some projects that some of my customers made from my wood and from wood that Jake (Customsawyer) and I sawed together.

This table was made from naturally stained maple slabs sawn 2 3/8" thick.  Because the log had taper, the customer, a fine craftsman, designed a middle piece with a type of large dutchman to even out the taper so that the table was the same width on both ends.  Very ingenious.

Here is the finished table.

Same customer, bookmatched maple with walnut butterflies. 

Red oak this time.  These guys are pros. 

Quatersawn white oak hutch with a bit of spalt.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: gww on February 19, 2017, 08:47:41 AM
I just want to post so this thread always pops up everytime it is updated.  I am always looking for ideals to steal and so hope poeple keep posting what they are doing.
gww

There is a "Notify" button at the top and bottom of each thread just for this purpose.  ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

longtime lurker

not my cup of tea but my customer tells me his customer is ecstatic.... wood is Camphor Laurel.

Kbeitz

Quote from: longtime lurker on September 18, 2017, 07:05:33 AM

not my cup of tea but my customer tells me his customer is ecstatic.... wood is Camphor Laurel.

I would take that anyday... Looks great.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Magicman

The Beauty and Originality are without question but I first thought; Angry, and then Confused.  This just proves that wood is the ultimate natural art medium and woodworkers are the artist.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Someone does some mighty fine looking work!!!!!  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This makes me wanna build a Walnut Rabbit Box or something. Nice tables.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You got Walnut Rabbits that need to be boxed up !!   :o

If Danny ever finds out your Goat will be got, but then he has Sycamore Fish.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Don't need any walnut goats or walnut rabbits at this time.  No need to build a walnut box for them.  I will take the extra walnut off your hands.  For one walnut board today, I will gladly pay you 2 walnut boards next Tuesday. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30knrJBeyr0

47sawdust

WDH,
re.post 182...That is some mighty fine work those fellas turn out.I just can't imagine a better way to make a living than working with wood.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

slider

al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

moosehunter

Sawed for Steve two years ago,  about 6500 bdft of hemlock,  white pine and a few hardwoods. He had the Amish come build this barn for him with the lumber.  I took this picture a few weeks ago when he had me back to saw another 5k bdft

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

plowboyswr

One of the mantle beams that I sawed. :)

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

longtime lurker

16 seat table in Queensland Maple. I woulda put turned legs under it but thats what the customer wanted thats what they get I guess. Just glad I didnt have to help shift that thing!

Crusarius

wow that table is crazy they need an electric turntable in the center of it just to move stuff around. can't reach anything in the very center.

WDH

That table could host a heck of a poker game  :)

Thank You Sponsors!