iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does WoodMizer have a yearly service route

Started by wolf nemeth, October 22, 2014, 10:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf nemeth

Hi    Does anybody know  If or when WM makes yearly service calls to the Middle Tennessee area?  I  am needing a general  alignment, plus the up-down clamp switch in the hydraulics is giving me fits....
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sometime in April and May. Give them a call, they will go ahead and put you on the list or can advise you when to call back. They come by my "hood" every year.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

David answered your question, but I am curious about your statement;
Quoteplus the up-down clamp switch in the hydraulics is giving me fits....
What "switch" are you referring to??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wolf nemeth

Poston---thanks for the info; I called WM and they said they do not dservice middle tennessee!! Can you believe it?  A company that boasts of superior customer service. i feel like i just got hung out to dry. The mill is useless without fixing this.
  MagicMan---- the problem is not with the switch itself (or none of the hydraulics would work) but on that bar the switch is mounted on.  Each function has a set of points, and somehow the points to the up-down clamp loosened up. I have tried setting them and then tightening them down with that skinny allen wrench, but every time I tighten it, it's out of whack and the clamp  will not move. sometime I do hear a  whooshing noise, so I wonder also if I have a stuck valve that sometimes opens an other times doesn't.   Got any advice?
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wolf....to give you an honest fix, I would have to be there and look at it.
The small screw that you tighten with the allen wrench should not be OVER tightened.
If you have, you will need to take the bar out and re-thread the hole with the next largest screw.
Sometimes you may thing that little screw is secure but its already been stripped.

Hope this helps.

If you get a chance a picture may help us. I mean its worth a try.

highleadtimber16

Quote from: wolf nemeth on October 25, 2014, 10:21:18 PM
Poston---thanks for the info; I called WM and they said they do not dservice middle tennessee!! Can you believe it?  A company that boasts of superior customer service. i feel like i just got hung out to dry. The mill is useless without fixing this.
  MagicMan---- the problem is not with the switch itself (or none of the hydraulics would work) but on that bar the switch is mounted on.  Each function has a set of points, and somehow the points to the up-down clamp loosened up. I have tried setting them and then tightening them down with that skinny allen wrench, but every time I tighten it, it's out of whack and the clamp  will not move. sometime I do hear a  whooshing noise, so I wonder also if I have a stuck valve that sometimes opens an other times doesn't.   Got any advice?

Imagine being in Canada. If I had a serious problem only Wood-Mizer could fix, its a 350 mile drive plus a ferry that costs $300 to go on...
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

jcbrotz

We need more info, I assume the pump is not running? Is the swooshing noise when you let the clamp off and fluid flowing back? If so you may have a hydraulic cylinder problem on the clamp itself. Does the clamp function when you have another hydraulic function in use? Is the screw staying tight and what happened to cause the change or is it a slow change over time.

Also if you car breaks down do you take it to the mechanic or does the mechanic come to you. Just saying you have the option to head to woodmizer and have them fix it there also.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

bandmiller2

Wolf, sounds like your on your own mate. I would get every bit of info mizer has on the subject and adjust the switches yourself. I have replaced those micro switches and it taint easy with fat fingers, I'am sure you will rise to the occasion. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ohio_Bill

While the up down clamp lever is engaged if you bump one the other levers will  the clamp work ?
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

terrifictimbersllc

Pretty sure that set screw is metric, I think it is 1.5mm.  (The hydraulic assembly unit in mine has a Japanese looking name in the WM parts selector).  I was having trouble with an imperial allen wrench on the setscrew at the far right "finger" ,  but the metric one loosened and tightened it fine.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ga Mtn Man

If the pump turns on when you move the clamp lever then the problem is with the valve (or cylinder), not with the "points" that link the valves to the micro switch.  It should be pretty obvious if the pump is turning on or not.  If the pump is not turning on when you move the clamp lever then, as others have advised, you need to tweak the mechanical contact point on that valve until it does.  The adjustment isn't that hard to do, just hard to get to. :-\
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on October 26, 2014, 08:33:12 AM
While the up down clamp lever is engaged if you bump one the other levers will  the clamp work ?

Try what Ohio Bill said first. This can tell you a lot.  :)

Dave Shepard

Are you saying that they won't come out and work on your mill, or they just don't have a yearly scheduled service route for your area?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

just_sawing

I live about 5 mile from wolf and I called WM about a month ago about an alignment visit and they told me there wasn't enough interest in a service route through here. If I wanted a service call they could when the service guy was available but he was headed to Belize.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Magicman

Sounds like there is a need for all of you WM owners to make a request, then there would be a need for the service route. 

woodmills1

I would say that not being on the yearly service route is not anywhere near the same as not being able to get a repair.  Also, can you wait till what ever month you would be on the repair route to fix the problem?

Here is what I do and why I say woodmizer is the best

1. I try to fix it

2. I read manuals and I try to fix it

these 2 usually fix almost all

3. I get my smart repair friends to try

this works If my bone head missed an easy general kind of thing

4. I call woodmizer tech

this always works

so in short don't own a great but complicated thing then complain if it has issues, I bet your toyota or lexus or chevy or kia has had issues
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

The WM service route is not necessarily designed for repairs as such because breakdowns are not scheduled.   :-\

That being said, it is nice to have a fully trained technician with a truck loaded with parts to give your sawmill a look-see.  I try to schedule every three years, and do an "hourly rate" job.  My invoice with parts seldom reaches $300.  I can live saw with that.   :)

woodweasel

the Wood Mizer technician is in Texas right now, he is coming to my place Monday in Central Texas just sayin.he told me over the phone that he had 62 stops since he's left Indiana

Thank You Sponsors!