iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Day at The Mill with Customsawyer

Started by julio, October 27, 2014, 09:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julio

Jake started milling Friday I came Friday night to his house and we started the next morning and finished 9205 b/f in TWO days . DANG I was tried but had a great time. About 2 hour of break down on Saturday and we still finish by 6:30 or 7:00 . sorry I don't have more pics , he wouldn't let me slow down long enough
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

barbender

That's a lot of board feet! Not only that, but the light in the pictures looks like it came straight on down from heaven ;D
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jake, are you still sawing backwards with the head coming to you?  ::)

Thats a lot of Pine! I'm assuming those are the ones you were talking to me about. Nice WHACK!
Good job WHOLEEO!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JB Griffin

9200 bdft in two days :o :o That would take me over two weeks.
Nice job guys.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Magicman

Don't know which one of them is the machine.....Jake or the LT70.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Great job!  I hope he at least gave you a Doans Backache pill break, that's a lot of wood to move. I'm curious about support equipment, I don't see any other machinery (besides Jake!) in the pictures.  What else was onsite to help?  Edger, Log deck, etc?
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mikeb1079

that is a crazy amount of bf for 2 days.  well done!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

customsawyer

When it comes to portable jobs it don't get any better than this one. The customer had 6 trees sit aside when he logged off some of his acreage. Then one of his neighbors brought a few more logs for his cattle farm. On Friday it started with just the land owner and I. I was cutting the trees to lengths and he was sitting up the area for stacking the lumber. Got started sawing about 10:30. The customer had a 75 hp New Holland tractor with forks and some younger help showed up at 11:00. At the end of the day on Friday I realized there was no way I was going to finish the job on Saturday if I didn't take the edger. So when I got home Friday evening Julio and I hooked my wife's truck up to the trailer and loaded the edger and extra roller tables. Saturday morning Julio and I got the edger in position just in time, as that is when the extra help showed up.  Another neighbor brought a second 90 hp John Deere tractor with forks. I started sawing at the tongue of the mill but soon realized that with the 3 men the customer hired to help stack lumber Julio and myself all at one end of the mill I was going to have more bruises than a pro football player. We than took the controls to the other end of the mill and got me out of their way. With Julio feeding the edger and directing the other help, plus keeping the logs rolled on the loader arms all I had to do was saw. I decided let Julio show off all of his mechanic skills, so I let the mill break down a couple of time (like we didn't have enough pressure on us). I have to say Mr. Julio saved my bacon multiple times that day. Many thanks to Julio, couldn't have done it without him.
There is some more that needs to be said but I type so slow and I need to go to work. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LeeB

That's OK. I read slow. Worked out just fine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

That sounded like the perfect scenario for sure!  that backwards running is tricky to get use to for me, I kept going backwards with the controls..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

Sounds like great teamwork!  Fine job, guys. smiley_thumbsup
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

slider

I was picking up a load of trees not far from them saturday but I was not about to wander into that camp.
al glenn

Chuck White

Jake and Julio, good show, 9,205 bf in 2 days. Wow........  :o :o :o

Well done.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

the most impressive part of the whole job...

wait for it ... very good stickering!!! 8)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ga Mtn Man

That is a crazy amount of lumber.  I'm pretty sure customsawyer has replaced his speed pot with an ON/OFF switch.

Did Julio have to do the cooking too?  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_whip
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Nomad

I'm betting there wasn't any time for cooking on that job! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

The customer's wife did most of the cooking. I can't say enough about this customer and Julio. They both went way above and beyond what one would expect on a job like this. I kept thinking about some of the stories that Tom used to share about his customers putting on a lunch and all. I was smiling from ear to hat.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

I think you surpassed my milling career total in those two days. ;) ;D 8)

Now, I have this image of you white haired , looking just like Tom (but two feet taller ) in 20 years. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

backwoods sawyer

Sounds like good group that all knew how to keep the sawdust flying.

I understand the give me some elbow room to work ;D

Good job to everyone on that job 8) 8) 8)

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Delawhere Jack

Outstanding work! I guess those high HP mills really do have their advantages..  :D

It sure is nice to have a big stack of boards at the end of the day, isn't it. The customer is  happy, you're happy, every body is happy.

And when the customer provides a nice lunch.....You just can't beat it!  :)

Magicman

Quote from: julio on October 27, 2014, 09:25:14 PMAbout 2 hour of break down on Saturday 
And do not overlook this.  They overcame adversity and still got-r-done.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Lynn, I agree.  Although, would be more suprised if there were no breakdowns.

Lots of help +  Deadlines = Breakdowns ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!