iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Some Quick Advice

Started by DanG, January 05, 2014, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Ok, I'm caught with my pants down again.  I have a busted hose on my backhoe on a Sunday.  It is a primary hose that dumps fluid with just the engine running.  Due to a slow coolant leak, there is only water in the radiator, and we are in for temps below 20° tomorrow night.  To get antifreeze circulated, I would have to run the engine for a while to open the thermostat.  Will that hurt the hydraulic pump?  I could just drain the radiator but I'm not confident that there wouldn't still be water in the engine.  What is my best course of action since I have to leave for the week this afternoon. :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chuck White

I think that if I was in your situation where you don't have a lot of freezing weather, I'd just drain the radiator and the block!

When the cold spell goes away, pour the water back in the radiator.

In the meantime, you can probably get the hyd hose fixed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

submarinesailor

I agree with Chuck.  Drain it as best you can.  If you can (easily) get to it, I would pull the bottom hose between the radiator and block.

julio

can you put another hose over the bust one and clamp it so you run the motor
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: julio on January 05, 2014, 02:42:49 PM
can you put another hose over the bust one and clamp it so you run the motor

We have done this to get a dozer off the fire line before. We used 2 clamps per side. It got the dozer back to the truck and loaded.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DanG

Thanks guys.  I can't do anything with the hydraulic hose, so I'll just go with the drain thing.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

julio

it never gets that cold in the sunshine state

Ianab

As long as you get most of the water out of the block it should be safe. Then there is room for the water to expand as it freezes, without busting anything.

Same as freezing 1/2 a bottle of water, vs a full one.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

Quote from: julio on January 05, 2014, 03:38:58 PM
it never gets that cold in the sunshine state

Don't bet on it, Julio.  My farm tractor is kaput because of a busted block.  We had an unexpected freeze when I was out of town a couple of years ago.  This time it isn't predicted to get above 30° for about 36 hours.

julio

go to napa and get bottle of blue devil put it in rad. and it should work if it don't they will give you your money back 8)

beenthere

Could remove the thermostat, and then put antifreeze mix in to get through the week.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fuzzybear

I agree with everyone else. Drain as much as you can out of the engine from the lowest point. There should be a drain on the block itself. After draining as much as you can close the drain and add antifreeze through the top end of the motor.  In reality you only need to add about 1 quart at this point.  Any water that is left should not freeze after that.
FB

I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Corley5

I run water in my 706 Farmall and drain the radiator and block when it's parked for the season.  Make sure the block drains completely.  Sometimes a bit of scale may plug the drain and it doesn't drain.  A buddy had his AC B freeze and break because he didn't wait around to be sure it drained completely.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

scsmith42

Quote from: DanG on January 05, 2014, 02:05:37 PM
Will that hurt the hydraulic pump? 

To answer your question, yes running the hyd pump w/o fluid will damage it.  Even worst is that sometimes the metal shavings can get throughout your system, so if you lunch the pump you may end up damaging a lot more stuff.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kiko

What beenthere said, sounds like he has been there.

mad murdock

If you go for the drain option, don't forget to open the block drain as well as the radiator. Good luck Dang, and I hope the global warming doesn't freeze you up too bad ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Sixacresand

I drained the water out my farmall today expecting the same cold front as DanG. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

isawlogs

Here we have bloc heaters.. I would plug the thing in.

You could tarp it and put a light in the engin compartment and it will not freeze. a 100 watt light will keep the engine from freezing if it is tarped over.   ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

He will be gone. If I tried the tarp a wind would come up and blow it off. But the tarp would blow off after the light bulb burned out.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

That would also happen to me, but this DanG we's talkin' 'bout, he's sortof lucky in his spare time.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

justallan1

Probably to late now, but I would have said a magnetic "Katz" heater. It's just a block heater that you stick on to whatever you want good and toasty. Half the time I just use them so I'm not freezing my darn fingers off on freezing cold parts ;D

Allan

Brucer

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 05, 2014, 06:18:36 PM
To answer your question, yes running the hyd pump w/o fluid will damage it.

Been there, done that, will never do it again :(.

Quote from: isawlogs on January 05, 2014, 10:27:04 PM
...  You could tarp it and put a light in the engin compartment and it will not freeze. a 100 watt light will keep the engine from freezing if it is tarped over.   ;)

Saw a guy do that once to his car, only he hung a blanket over it instead of a tarp. The engine didn't freeze. The whole car went up in flames. After the fire department got through with it, what was left of the car froze.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

DanG

If it was anywhere near a power source there wouldn't have been a question. :D :D  Have you ever seen one bust a hose sittin' by the shop? ;D

DDDfarmer

Quote from: DanG on January 06, 2014, 01:24:46 AM
If it was anywhere near a power source there wouldn't have been a question. :D :D  Have you ever seen one bust a hose sittin' by the shop? ;D

Tires never go flat when you have help or tools around, and in most cases miles from them.

Balers, combines and swathers never act up or break in the winter when there is time to repair.

When parts are needed from town, its 5pm on a Friday before a long weekend.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

justallan1

Quote from: DanG on January 06, 2014, 01:24:46 AM
I guess I should of thought of that before responding, OOPS!
I once lost a U-joint 50' from the shop, I felt like I had won the lottery. ;D

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!