iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Logs......AGAIN !

Started by DR_Buck, August 22, 2007, 05:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Went today to look at some "firewood" advertised on our bulletin board at the office.   Lady told me there was a bunch (not to be confused with whack) of 12" logs, mostly Poplar.   

Well when I got there I couldn't believe what I found.  :o :o :o :o

A huge stack of straight mostly clear 16" - 18 " diameter  10 ft poplar logs.  No limbs, branches or brush.  Just drive up and take them away for free.
  :o :o     47 in all !!!    :o :o :o :o :o :o

I told them to stop giving them away for firewood and I'd come back at take them all.    :) :)     I start hauling them home Sunday.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dodgy Loner

Lucky find, DR.  She'll be happy to get rid of them, and you'll be happy to have them.  Nothing like a win-win situation to brighten up your day 8)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Be careful Dr_Buck.

A few year back here, we heard here on the forum of a lady 'giving' away some logs, and her son finding out about it. Several FF'rs came down pretty hard on the receiver of the cheap logs, and taking advantage of the lady. Just so you don't have something similar happen to you.  We all like a good deal, and won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
If me, I'd make a contract with some $$ for all the logs to cover yourself.... in case someone else had an eye on that 'whack' of free logs too. Sunday might be too late to pick them up, too.  ::)

Glad you made the find, and hope all stays in your favor.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Joel Eisner

This reminds me of the "free" oak logs that I was given about 4-5 months ago.  The elderly gentleman that does some excavating for me dropped off 26 oak logs from 16 to 48 in in diameter.  They are all clear logs.  He did not want anything for them  other that some wood from time to time. 

Well.... the contractor that he works for heard about this and called me to say that he wanted something for them after they were at my place.  I offered to let him come and pick them up (the 48" log might be too heavy to lift) or I could saw them for him for $40/hr or work something out on shares. 

Well ... we settled on shares.  I guess 1/2 of 26 logs is okay.   :-\
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

WDH

DR_B,

Maybe you could give her a nice gift for her generosity.  There are still some nice and giving people out there, like this lady. 

A week ago, an elderly woodworker called me and asked me if I knew where he could find some 5/4 pine.  He was building some adirondack chairs for someone, and needed some thicker stock for some of the parts.  Well, I had some from a pine tree the drought killed, nice shortleaf, tight grained (Sgtmaconga, we missed one ;D) that I sawed last Christmas.  He said he need a few boards.  Well, to make a long story short, he got more than a few boards.  He asked me what he owed me, and I said, "nothing".  I figured he was making the chairs as a gift, and $50 worth of lumber was no big deal to me.  He said, "No, you can't give this lumber to me."  To which I replied that I might need something from him one day. 

Give and let give sometimes is the right thing to do.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

getoverit

I got all of my logs for free. The people were so glad to get rid of them and not have to move them that they would help me load them and then profusely thank me for hauling them off. I got some really nice stuff too!  A few even tipped me for hauling them off. Cant beat that!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dodgy Loner

I agree with WDH, a gift of some kind would be a nice gesture.  I get free logs on a regular basis, and not once has anyone asked for anything in return.  And not once have they failed receive something from me for their generosity, either :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

brdmkr

I got some free logs today myself.  I had heard that a fellow at church had some logs that he wanted me to cut on shares.  I would have been happy to do it to, as long as he wasn't in a hurry.  I spoke to him tonight and he just wants to give them to me.  He is bringing them ovr this weekend.  I asked him how many he had and he said he didn't know.  He cut them into 10' lengths and they came from 5 large SYP.  Later he said that he had a trailer that should hall 15 or so at a time!!!  Makes me think I may have a sho nuff whack on the way!

Since there is no way that I can cut these before the borers get in them and I really would like to get good lumber out of them, would just getting these off the ground help at all or would the bark need to be removed to keep out borers?  I can't keep them under water or sprinklers and it will be at least 2 - 3 months before I can cut them.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Don K

If you can get the bark off and off the ground it will help. Most of the borers I've seen seem to start from under the bark. I don't worry about them as much as I used too because usually they saw out in the first coupla inches.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Tom

Getting rid of the bark and having them off of the ground will help.  You should be able to slab most of the damage off if you get to them in a couple of months.

olyman

welll.... the contractor that he works for heard about this and called me to say that he wanted something for them after they were at my place.  I offered to let him come and pick them up (the 48" log might be too heavy to lift) or I could saw them for him for $40/hr or work something out on shares. 

seems to me--that contractor just wanted to cut a fat hog--as he prob gave them to the guy that gave them to you--people---i do believe id keep a close eye on mr contractor anytime hes around you--or on your place---serious--he seen some "free" wood from a man with a sawmill---i dont believe halves is right--as your doing all the work--you didnt steal them--from your original understanding

WH_Conley

I would quite possibly, depending on how he came on to me, tell him to come and get "his" logs because I was charging storage.

" Do you want to give them away or pay the bill".

Personally I do not use that approach, very often. You can deal with most people, just don't give up the option of being an @@s, sometimes that works too.

I think olyman's  remark about a fat hog applies here.
Bill

WDH

I agree.  Let him come and get them if he wants them.  He shouldn't have any problem in procuring a trailer and a machine to load them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dail_h

I instantly thought "fat hawg" too
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!