iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are free logs ever free.

Started by weisyboy, September 15, 2010, 06:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weisyboy

got a 15 ton load of logs the other day.

cutting some 4x3 posts last week. hit 15 nails in 1 log. still got 30 posts out it. but still not good.

got 10 15 ton loads off another bloke. he rang up today wants 4 - 12 x 12 , 12' posts for free.

they retail for over $ 900 each.

i dont have many logs big enough either.

nothing is ever free.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

ladylake

If someone gave me 10   15 ton loads of logs I sure wouldn't complain about sawing out 4  12x12x12'   post, a whole hour or 2 depending on how much side lumber you get.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

weisyboy

it will take us half a day as my mill will only cut 8" so we have to keep rolling the log.

i had to pay for the truck to pick up the logs.

its not to bad but its pushing it when he didn't mention it when he gave me the logs.

if he had of said he wanted them in exchange from the start i would be fine with it. but when someone gives you logs then comes back 4 months latter saying he wants $3600 worth of timber is a bit game.

i pay good money for my logs and and always pay what i have offered or agreed.

another bloke rang me last week that i bought a load of old logs off last year. he recons i only gave him $150. when i gave him $500 witch was more than the logs were worth. i didn't get a receipt or anything witch i probably should have but my handshake and word is better than a bit of paper, seams some peoples is about as solid as a hollow log.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

ladylake

That's still a lot of logs just for the trucking, 4 months is a little long to want some in return, the logs could be long gone by then.  Sound like you might want a bandsaw sometimes and I think a swingmill would go good around here sometimes.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

weisy,
i know where you are at.
i learned some time ago to say no. free means free. if someone gives you something it should be free. if they want to deal then lets deal before hand.
i baled hay for serveral people that would be suprised how much their fields made and meet me at the gate to ask hey would you do that on the shares and i would say ''no''. i like to stick with the original plan.
it stinks that some folks cant finish something the way they start it. i cant stand a liar or a theif. i am not sure which one you are dealing with. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

Carl I know exactly where your coming from Mate !! I just avoid dealing with people like that these days Mate   Lol i would have no dramas cutting those in exchange it was part of the agreement from the start and if it was out of his logs withing a month of having them given to me but 4 months is stretching it as it would usually have to come out of something else Mate ;)

Steve Ive got nearly 300 ton an even mix of Pine and Hardwood now stacked up around the joint now all over 60 mi from home and more to come all free and loaded trucks ill be supplying but there is usually only a 20 to 30% saving on buying then when you take it all into account Mate ;) Like i say Logistics Logistics Logistics lol the issue down here atm is its too wet to get the semis down into the gullys on the two sites the last few hundred yards of acess track is like a goat track  without the chance of getting my Mates $350000 Mack bogged to the butt so all my cartage is on hold for awhile  :(

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

bugdust

A lady called last week offering me several cedars that lined her driveway and all I had to do was cut the trees and haul the logs. She was actually concerned that they would go the the pile for burning if someone didn't take them. After telling her I would have to decline because of my concerns about nails, etc. she fully understood. It's not often that someone calls because they don't want to see lumber wasted. Free, yes, but in the long run they might have me costs plenty.

Had one customer a few years back that brought me a large cedar wanting lumber to make turkey calls. I advised him that since the cedar came for someone's front yard I was concerned about nails. He assured me that was not the case, but agreed that if I damaged a blade it costs him $25. Long story short, and 3 blades later the log went to the slab pile.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

paul case

to the original question----yes they are free if i am trying to sell them.  :D pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Kedwards

Ask him to bring you a load with logs big enough to do those .. for free ..and cut out of that load.

Tell him that load is gone. 4 months is forever.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Okrafarmer

We'll be cutting a lot of yard trees. We plan on using a metal detector. We harvest them ourselves and get paid to do it-- that's the best way! Usually we get paid anywhere from $400-2,000 a tree to haul them away. That's why we got the sawmill, so we can double-dip even better!  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

weisyboy

a mate has a radio shack metal detector it works great will pick up a nail 12" into a log.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: weisyboy on September 18, 2010, 05:26:59 AM
a mate has a radio shack metal detector it works great will pick up a nail 12" into a log.

Seems like maybe you ought to use one, Weisy, when you cut "free" logs! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

paul case

weisy,
i get where you are at. i was cutting some cedars i took in on trade the other day and hit a nail. i had just put on a sharp blade and only made 1 cut .
i was thinking we should try to define free?

free - didnt cost anything
free-  no hardware
free-- no taxes....oops i bet thats a sore spot.
free-  on the shares
free-  only you have to go get it.
free-  costs more in repairs than it pays
free-  must not be worth anything.
free-  an offer you should but just cant refuse.

pc
pc

Lud

free-  an offer you should but just cant refuse.

That is just too good..........
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

paul case

i had another this afternoon
free-  no extra charge for the cavity in the center that is full of big black ants.

pc
pc

Frickman

I frequently get offers of "free logs". Just come pick them up. I have a self loading truck so transportation is usually not an issue, but gas, tires, wear and tear, and especially my time are. I cannot drive twenty miles each way for two free pine logs. I cut wood for a living, not as a hobby, so everything I do has to make a profit. It might sound harsh, but sometimes I advise a landowner that pushing the logs over the hillside and lighting them on fire might be the best thing to do with them. I can't spend one hundred dollars to salvage a four dollar log. It's that simple.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

backwoods sawyer

A “free log” is log that makes a sawable grade of log that is delivered to the mill at no cost to the mill with no expectation of the previous owner to get anything back out of it.
A “free log” is “not” still standing in the back yard along with twenty power lines, no access, and a diameter of 4” for 2’. Nor is it a hollow Maple tree that rotted off and fell across a river that is only a couple hundred yards from where the truck can be gotten to that a bowl turner is unable to find a useable piece in.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

DR_Buck

There has been a number of post in the past about free logs.   Here are a couple threads I started.  The first in 2004 and the other in 2007.

Free Logs

Free Logs....Again

There was a time when I would go get every free log offered.  I've since become a little lot more selective in which free logs I go and get.  I still go get  a lot of them but now if it's more than 30 miles or so and not a species I can turn quickly for a buck, I thank them for calling but decline the offer.   I've gone up wards of 60 miles (one-way) to get a huge cherry tree that netted over $2000 off of the lumber.   My most recent 'free' log acquisition was two trailer loads of maple and beech.   I had to make two trips  ~45 miles each way to get them.    They're next on my milling agenda.   Then I need to find a buyer.  :)

I've gotten to the point where I almost never go for a single tree unless it's real close.  Especially if it's a run-of-the-mill red oak or poplar.  Just to much time involved in going after them for the return.

One of what I consider the smartest thing I've done to help collect free logs in a time economical fashion is invest in log handling equipment.    It started with the JMS trailer from Baileys with a knuckle-boom loader.   Then over the past few years I've added a 12,000 lb hydraulic winch with 100' cable, Logrite ATV arch, Logrite Junior arch,  skid-steer with grapple loader, and most recently (from Logrite/Carl Neutzel) a portable skidding winch and 300' feet of skidding rope.

Finally, I never cut down a tree for someone to get a free log.  :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

weisyboy

i will fell trees for free logs.

noramly only on acreage.

i did one huge silky oak tree. we got 3m3 of timber $8000 worth from the tree and it cost me $300 for a lopper to get it down and half a day to cut.

sometimes logs are good value but rarely free.

i see no need for a metal detector. if i used one i wouldnt cut half the logs i do.

when someone wants a log cut normaly it dosnt matter if tehre is a nail or not.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: weisyboy on September 19, 2010, 09:46:39 AM
i see no need for a metal detector. if i used one i wouldnt cut half the logs i do.

I like your 'tude, Weisy! Must be easier on your mill than on a band mill.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 19, 2010, 01:23:47 PM
Quote from: weisyboy on September 19, 2010, 09:46:39 AM

I like your 'tude, Weisy! Must be easier on your mill than on a band mill.

I agree with this as well.  Although, it's a pain the customer pays for the price of a new band when I hit metal.   Don't matter if it's a new or old band.  Metal, rock, insulator or anything non-wood forcing a band change (other than dullness from use) is a flat non-negotiable $35 charge.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Okrafarmer

It's just that a lot of the logs we cut won't be on a commission basis-- they'll be logs we were paid to take down in other peoples' yards-- so-- I think we'll be wanting the MD quite a bit. No log is safe from nails, especially in the urban forest.

weisyboy

i have cut threw up to 34 nails before a dlabe change is needed. but normaly 2 or 3 pull us up.

my blades cost $55 to get retiped. but i can do them my self if i need one in a hurry.

Okrafarmer

Sounds like a reasonable price, Weisy. I don't know about now, but it seems that your Oz buck$ don't go as far as ours, generally speaking. . . . . .

paul case

got 1 today. i was going to cut some of my own until i got the call from a friend. he says  want a log?
i says how big?
he says maybe 20''
yes when do i need to get it
we have the lull loader there now
i will be there in 30 minutes
ok

i went. i had to cut the tree down but they had already cut all the limbs and top off.
i got 1 - 10' log 27'' sed,  1 - 16'  18'' sed. post oak and only 4 miles from the mill. right down my alley. pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!