Sponsors:

Woodmizer band sharpening and nails

Started by Brad_bb, January 09, 2018, 12:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

al glenn

Chuck White

Quote from: tawilson on January 10, 2018, 01:43:22 PM
"When using a Wood-Mizer wash tank,  blades are run through a cycle that cleans,  deburrs, and washes the blade in solvent.  The wash cycle also includes a set of rollers to pinch the blades to flatten and equalise the set.  This allows for the blades to be properly set during the setting process."
There's more but here's a pertinent quote. I'll put up a screenshot of the page when I can.
Page 6-3. 

This procedure sounds like the cleaner, downsetter, washer & setter at the Wood-Mizer Hannibal shop!

Which is where I originally got the idea to make (have made) my own downsetter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: slider on January 10, 2018, 07:31:55 PM
I do .I want to keep my wife.

The blade. Just put it on the setter then sharpen. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tawilson

Quote from: Chuck White on January 10, 2018, 07:53:04 PM
Quote from: tawilson on January 10, 2018, 01:43:22 PM
"When using a Wood-Mizer wash tank,  blades are run through a cycle that cleans,  deburrs, and washes the blade in solvent.  The wash cycle also includes a set of rollers to pinch the blades to flatten and equalise the set.  This allows for the blades to be properly set during the setting process."
There's more but here's a pertinent quote. I'll put up a screenshot of the page when I can.
Page 6-3. 

This procedure sounds like the cleaner, downsetter, washer & setter at the Wood-Mizer Hannibal shop!

Which is where I originally got the idea to make (have made) my own downsetter!
I figured their shop had one so I planned on checking it out next trip there. Downsetting and de-burring are what interested me. I clean the blades before I take them off the mill usually.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: tawilson on January 10, 2018, 04:51:46 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 10, 2018, 04:41:43 PM
Sure it's the sharpener not the setter manual?
I'm sure. It's in the Resarp Process section. Another quote:
"The ReSharp process is designed to take a used, dull blade and bring it back to maximum performance. There are three basic stages in the ReSharp operation which can be performed in different sequences dependent on the equipment that you have,  the quality of the incoming blades and the final result required. Grinding Washing Setting"
I've searched and have never seen it discussed or any pictures except the one in the manual, either here or anywhere else online.
Strange. No ReSharp section in my manual.  But I"ve seen what you quote.  I'll have to look at the other paperwork I have. 

In any case it's a plug for ReSharp, that washer is not something WM sells.   I think there would be a good market for a simple downsetter device if they sold one. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_bb

Milling yesterday, and I started with a log that was full of nails. I hit one and then I did as Bandmiller2 said and looked for the curls on the teeth.  About a dozen teeth were affected and had the curl or at lease something I could feel with my finger nail on the leading edge of the tooth.  So I marked all those teeth with a red paint pen and then took a small flat file and hit the leading edge to take off the curl and flatten it.  I tried the band and it was cutting again.  I ended up taking off the other 3 slabs plus one 5/4 board.  I then went to start taking an 8/4 board and zing!  I had to pitch it this time- too many teeth affected.  Hey, that saved me losing a new band.  I have other bands I'd set aside from nail strikes, but I discovered that I need a better way to hold to inspect and work on bands.  I know I saw a post once where someone on here created a couple wheels on a bench to install the blade so they could work on and rotate it.  Now sure how they tensioned it.  Anybody got a link to that post?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

Quote from: tawilson on January 10, 2018, 09:52:07 AM
Terrific, I have the same setter/sharpener as you. In the sharpener manual there's a page where they recommend using a Woodmizer wash tank which performs a few functions, including down setting, deburring and cleaning. I have searched and can't find anything anywhere on one. Do you or anyone else know of this?
I've visited Resharp in Ga.  Basically, the cleaning machine looks like a self feeding sharpening machine with many motorized, spinning wire brushes scrubbing the band with oil or or solvent, much like a car wash for saw blades.

I saw some bands that were so rusty and dirty it looked like they had been stored in wet mud, and after the wire scrubbing and cleaning they looked pretty good.

When I hit a nail, I pull the band and then when I have time, put it in my dual tooth setter and go once around, checking the dial indicators, setting the band per usual, and resetting over set teeth or bent teeth, and what ever else was damaged.  Then I'll CBN it back to sharp and cut with it.  If I have more than three busted off teeth consecutively, I chunk the band. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!