iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

knee braces/ to peg or not to peg

Started by bic, May 15, 2014, 08:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bic

That is my question, most diagrams I have viewed have the knee braces pegged, one course I took recommended not pegging due to wear from flex. What are your opinions on this?
Almost all old barns in my area are not pegged, maybe just the way it was done in this particular area?
LT 28 Woodmizer
where there's a mill there's a way

S.Hyland

I actually don't peg most of mine anymore. I have gone to wedges above the tenon. In my mind, a good solution for a purely compression member. There are notable exceptions of course. One would not want to skip pegs on hammer beam truss braces!!
Also it is a LOT faster to wedge than peg. Wedges are easy to blast out on the table saw with the right jigs.
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

beenthere

A tornado came through here just a few weeks of being 30 years ago, and a neighbors barn appeared to have little to no damage but moved enough to drop out many of the angle braces in the upper part of the barn. They were not pegged. Took a lot of work for a crew to raise the barn frame enough to get the braces back in place.

Speaks volumes of the power of a tornado.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bic

not to mention the strength of the barn....
LT 28 Woodmizer
where there's a mill there's a way

Thank You Sponsors!