iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lucky find

Started by Skidder Kev, August 20, 2013, 06:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skidder Kev

The new tract we are logging I found a matching set of whitetail deer antlers.  found them 100 ft apart i figured it was my lucky day.   any other net stuff you have found in the bush??

Kev

beenthere

Nice set of horns. Just observed a nice 8 pt out the window with a very even rack like that. Am hoping to get a pic of it on the trail cam that was nearby.

And I found the pick'mup truck and goodies about as interesting as the antlers. Some cans, oil, tools, and a perfectly tailored tail gate. That's artwork right there.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That is a working man's truck. A very nice find.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Nice set and tailgate, what kind of hitch do you have?  If you traded a few of those gas cans for gear oil I'd feel right at home  ;D

Migal

Dang you guys are awake tonight I only notice the tailgate and propane looking bottle under the right side of the tool box oh and the antler's of course LOL and is the chain oil really avalue JK it's ale good  8) What's a Whiskey dent to a beer drinker anyway  ;D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Skidder Kev

That tailgate has had better days that's for sure.  What was really hard on it was the fork lift hitting it twice haha.   As for the chain oil I run whatever the boss buys haha.  As for the hitch all I know about it is its heavy. Soild 2x2.
Kev

Magicman

Well, I liked the deer antlers.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

VT_Forestry

Up until this spring, I had never found a matched set of antlers before.  Then, somehow, I managed to find *3* sets!  1 set was several hundred yards apart, another set was about 100 feet, and the final set was practically touching each other.  The kicker was that I got 2 of the 3 on trail camera.

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

beenthere

That would be exciting, and good find for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Some that I've seen on camera, I see later on head mounts of neighbors' results. Bummer, but it happens.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skidder Kev

they say stuff happens in 3s,  pretty nice having the pic to go with them too.

Kev

clww

Now you need to find the rest of him in a few more months. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Scott

~Ron

mesquite buckeye

Easier to find them in the desert, just laying out in the open, no leaves to hide them. ;D Also, the animals don't chew them up out here like they do in the woods, so they last longer. ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Skidder Kev

You can have those ones that are easy to find, I know I don't have to worry about snakes up here haha

mesquite buckeye

They don't eat much. >>>>8>

I worry more about the two legged kind. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I found a shed Friday while clearing roads/trails at the Cabin.  I instantly recognized the antler, but I had deleted the trail cam pictures of him.  Fork toward the tip and no brow tine, and probably 3½ year old.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terry f

Found this set, along with the year before's in about a living sized area. The one pic is my grandson 11 years ago, the other is after my son had it put on a head. The other set is a perfect match of this one, only a little faded and the drop tines were half rotted off, from resting his head in the dirt.

Autocar

Boy thats a great buck I like those drop tines, Ive found a number of sheds over the years . I found a matching set of moose horns once in Newfoundland I tied them on my pack and a half mile later I took them off and laid them on a tree stump  :D. And turkey hunting in Florida a friend of mine hunted on the Brady Ranch and I found a dandy skull and antlers of a Sicka Deer.
Bill

Ron Scott

~Ron

justallan1

Had a great day. The cows and calves are good, so I went out riding looking for sheds. This was the first trip back to the truck and the second load was smaller. All said and done I ended up with 5 nice brown, 2 of last years and 1 old one in the water, all elk, plus a couple old deer sheds. With last years price on brown elk sheds at $8.00 per/lb. this was about a 4-5 hundred dollar day. ;D Plus a beautiful day to ride.

Allan

terry f

Sounds like a win-win to me. Any pairs on the day?

justallan1

I didn't find any pairs yesterday, but it's pretty early in the season. 8)

Allan

Magicman

Looks like a nice (and profitable) day for sure.  I fully understand your "need" to just get out and ride.   smiley_thumbsup

thecfarm

Yes,a very nice find.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Very nice indeed,with my luck I'd have stuck a tine through both back tires of the 4 wheeler and that would've dropped the value of those sheds quite drastically  :D.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Billbob

Very nice!  I've found the odd deer shed or two over the years but they are hard to find.  With all the moose we have around here I have never found a moose shed.  Maybe this year.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

yukon cornelius

right after we bought our land here I fond a matching pair of antlers pretty close together on our first real walk around. soon after I was building our temp. cabin ( 12x12 on post) the first shovel scoop yielded a big complete spearhead. where we decided to try a garden back in the woods I tilled up a big horse, possibly mule shoe. another one  when we broke ground for our house. last summer my son and I went to our creek and I spotted the back edge of a deer skull and when I pulled it out of the sand it was attached to a huge rack well preserved in the sand.

so I guess a few things...
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!