iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home building sawmill question.

Started by Shawn, February 09, 2006, 02:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KGNC

I've not built a mill (yet) but I have used warner electric clutches and clutch/brakes on some machines with good success.
there is one on ebay that may be about the size you need (not mine). Warner clutch

most of these are meant to be used with electric motors but I've seen them on IC engines. You can also do a soft start on some of them if you ramp up the voltage.

getoverit

That one is a 90 volt DC clutch. It would be hard to get it to engage with 12 volts from a battery.

I have kept an eye on the electric clutches on ebay, and found one with a tripple pulley on it, but at the time I didnt know what size shaft to get. Now that I have a bigger engine and know the shaft size, I'll look harder at these.

It just makes you wonder why you cant get them direct from the manufacturer or from a distributor without all of the questions and hassles...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

buck5611

mine was purchased in Quebec city by someone else so I dont know where exactly but I contact Noram on their website and it seems very easy  to by from them .They gave me good advice and they were ready to sell directly to me, but finally I changed my mind and stay with my old clutch wich is still doing good. mine is the model no: 160016 I think it is not rated for 13 hp but I'm sure it never slip just by the motor sound.Hope this help.

here is the link;    http://www.noram-clutch.com/clutch1800series.html

jpgreen

Quote from: highpockets on February 21, 2006, 05:10:23 AM

Back in the 60's there was always a guy in the shop that could tell you what was wrong with a machine fairly quickly.  Now days these newer folks sit at a counter and if it ain't in the computer they are lost.   

THat's no problem Dick, cause all you need to know in America is how to use the computer.  They can "out source" all the real need for knowledge..  ::)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jrokusek

Maybe this will help someone.  This is an e-mail I had from late December 2004.  I really appreciate companies that actually respond to e-mails in a timely fashion!  I had sent an e-mail inquiring about a clutch that is stout enough to work in a homemade, redneck sawmill.

"We have clutch just for that application.  They are very heavy duty and are
nothing like my fun kart clutches.  These are cast iron with a brake lining
material bonded to the shoe.  They will outlast the engine.  They come with
a dual or triple pulley.  All these clutches have a dual roller bearing.  I
would recommend working with a "B" belt (5L). 

I need to know the crankshaft diameter which most likely will be one inch
(1"). And the keyway will be 1/4".  Also I need to know the diameter of the
pulley size you want to work with because this will determine the speed of
the band saw or blade.  I need to know front and back pulleys. 

The cost on a clutch like this is $198 to $241 depending on just what you
need.

James F. Donovan
Max-Torque, LTD.
2180 Corporate Lane
Naperville, IL   60563
Phone:   (630) 369-9600
Fax:       (630) 369-9686
Email:     info@maxtorque.com"

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!