Skidsteer for loadin' logs and lumber?

Started by oakiemac, May 08, 2004, 04:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

O.K. guys, how many of you use a skid steer such as a Bobcat to load your logs onto the mill and lumber onto the truck? Is a skidsteer a good choice or is the conventional forklift better?
I'm looking for all feedback so don't be shy. I have never operated a skidsteer so I'm looking for input. ???
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

ElectricAl

Oakiemac,

The most important thing to look for is vertical lift, true vertical lift.

Most of the older units were and some new are radical lift. Radical lift is where the load moves forward as it raises. Very bad when loading trucks with lumber.

The load may be stable down low, but when raised to deck height the load may tip the skidsteer forward. :o

John Deere, New Holland are all vertical lift. Mustang, Bobcat and CAT offer both vertical and radial lift machines.

There is a big difference in visibility from one manufacture to another. What can you see out the back window? Can you see your back tires?

Also, get as much lift capacity as you can afford.  ;)
1850# is almost a minimum.

The FORDster not pullin' his weight at the mill? :(

A big new Skidsteer with a few accessories will cost 10 times what Mr. FORDster did.  

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Kevin_H.

We are using a 743 bobcat to move stuff around the log yard. It is a little light for the job, but the price was right.

We mounted about an extra 250lbs on the back, So much so that if you try to drive it without any attachments on the front it wants to run on the back wheels.

A nice 7000lb forklift would be nice but there is so much more you can do with a skidsteer.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ToddC

I'm using a case skid steer. It lifts more than you think it will. I could lift more if I would add more counter weights to the rear. You have to use good judgment with it when loading logs onto a trailer, always load on level ground or up hill. As far as using it to get logs out of the woods its not too good. There is no articulation or suspension so it doesn't like going over holes or ditches, and it doesn't have much ground clearance so it hangs up on stuff alot. As far as around the mill I know it will do good for me, although I just got my mill but I have used it alot in our excavation business so I'm pretty confident in it.

AtLast

Just bought a John Deere 260 model. WORKS GREAT!!!...It's a 2001 with only 600 hrs on it. Has the weight package and can and has lifted 3000lbs. I REALLY like the thought that went into the designing of this skid steer...I have the forks and a bucket and both are serving me well....

oakiemac

Thanks for the replies.

ElectricAl: The Fordster broke down again. I can take the steering wheel and spin it like a top. :-[ There has been a lot of logs that it simply could not pick up. I have thought of just using it around the kiln and getting a skidsteer for the mill.
Probably can't afford one though.
The tree service guy who is my log supplier, says I should get a 800 series Bobcat. He says it picks up most of the logs that he brings in and can lift loads 14' high. I'm just a little skeptical, but he does move the logs with his.
Which model of skidsteer is better? More visibility of one over the other?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

shopteacher

I have a JD 8875 and can't tell you how much I love that machine. When I was looking to buy I did a good bit of research and can't remember all the if, ands and buts, but came to the conclusion the New Holland or John Deere was the one I wanted. Mine's a 1992 so there have probably been some improvements ( though I can't think of any that are needed on mine). Can't go wrong with JD.  Bought mine in Hamilton, Canada  and had it shipped across the border to Pittsburgh. Got a 4' set of forks and a 6' bucket.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Sawyerfortyish

Go for the skidsteer I have a Case 1840 and Can't say enough about it. You can see whats in front of you with one they work good in muddy conditions that exist around most mills. Where as forklifts may lift more but really stink in the slightest mud or uneven ground. My 5000lb lift is always stuck or hung up. If you want the best of both worlds get a wheel loader. They cost about the same as a skidsteer for a used one but have much more lift capacity.

Percy

It seems to me that most brands of skidsteers are well built and tough as nails. I have a 743 Bobcat which is about the most usefull piece I have. Unfortunatly, its a litlle small for what Im using it for but still works well. I think a good operator on a skidsteer could sort small logs faster than a 966 could. The downside of a skidsteer for me is, they chew up the yard. My logyard where I buck and sort is like mogul heaven :D :D. If things go well, I may consider a BOBCAT A300. Its a skidsteer when you want it to be and an acticulating (not really) unit at the flick of a switch. It will lift 3000lbs plus really high. I could load trucks with that puppy which would mean selling the Shyster. ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

oakiemac

Sawyer40: What's the difference between a wheel loader and a skid steer?

Plowboy

At where I work we got a bobcat 873 now we have a 250, awseome machine.  I have used it some for logging and pushing brush piles and it works great.  I have used a 753 and 763 on different logging jobs and both of those machines worked good.  I have been using skid loaders on the farm for a couple of years and I don't think we could get along with out one.  

D._Frederick

You will spend half your time grading the torn-up area were you use them after you are through. They do as much damage as a crawler with their tracks.

Minnesota_boy

If you have enought logs and lumber to move to justify the cost, look for a used Pettibone loader with grapel forks.  These loaders steer with all 4 wheels so they don't tear up the yard, have longer wheel base so they aren't "bouncy" as you carry the load over rough ground, and can extend the forks so you can reach a little farther from the wheels to get that log off the top of the pile.  They also have hydraulic tilt on the front axel so you can get under logs that aren't exactly level on the pile and can load a truck nice and flat even if you have a small hump next to the truck that the loader hits.  Although they can be broken, they are built to use hard in constant work.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ElectricAl

Oakiemac,

This is what moved the FORDster to a backup unit.

Forks, bucket, and V plow.  If you look close, at the top of the fork carriage there is a 2 5/16" ball for moving goose neck trailers.

Weight was close to 20,000# and tipped at 15,000#

1968 Massey Ferguson, cost $15,000 in 1999

Here is a mini wheel loader that Bibbyman Demoed.
It would lift 5-6000#.   4 to 5 year old units still bring around $40,000  

Here is a slick ride I found in the FF Gallery.

Cost used should be in the mid 20's
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Norwiscutter

The  one thing that I have found with the used equipment is that the financing rates will just kill ya.  Used tractors that I looked at all ran around 13-18 % interest.  Not really worth it at that rate.  Just ordered a New Holland 35 horse 4wd boomer tractor with forks and bucket.  Wanted a 4 in 1 bucket but couldn't quite swing it.  Anyways total price was 18,500, financed for 6 years at 4.5% and 0 down.  They are offering 3 years at 0%.  The nice thing about tractors is that they retain their value over the years. I opted for a small tractor instead of the skidsteer because I wanted the 3 point hitch for skidding/mowing/tilling etc.  The new 4wd tractors have supersteer which is about as close to zero turn as you can get. the bucket is rated at 3200 breakout lifting and 2000 Lbs. full height lifting.  Wish it was more but should be good enough for everything under 12 foot that I can fit on my mill.  Will be here in a couple of weeks and will post pictures of it for sure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Plowboy

Turning with a skid loader does not always have to tear everything up.  If you don't turn hard and whip around in tight circles on soft ground it isn't so bad.  I found that you do wider turns or some what of a Y turn you can go anywhere you need to go and not tear up places.  

dewwood

If you are handling mostly logs the wheel loader is a good way to go, the skid loaders will not reach over  the bunks on most log trucks nor will they reach across the truck.  If ground conditions are very good (solid) a forklift will work but unless it is a rough terrain (big tires) it will not get around on anything except very solid ground.  However a forklift is better at handling lumber packs as it is more manuverable and can operate in tighter conditions.

If I had a choice for a good all around unit it would be a wheel loader.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Sawyerfortyish

I'll agree with Minnesota boy about the pettibone they are built for log yards. But is Pettibone still in bussiness? They are an old company. That Pettibone carrylift is some machine. I've seen some sold at auction that were broke down and didn't bring much.

FeltzE

I agree with the previous posts, a skid steer loader is very versstile but will eventually dig out your maneuver areas handling logs and turning around. A wheeled loader offers greater lift capacities, reach, versatility and still maintains the lower ground pressure to facilitate working in unpaved areas.

I've previously run a fork lift (didn't work well on unimproved surfaces) a rough terrain forklift (scared the hell out of me handling logs) and now run a CAT 316 4WD Backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket and forks. It has a break away of 8000 lbs and a capacity of around 4000# , It will reach over the bunks and load a dumper.

One of the things a bobcat type loader brings to the table is its overall light weight. You can put it on a small trailer and tow it behind a pickup truck to a job site. This may be an important issue if you are working on site. Bring a bucket, and forks to handle the sawdust, lumber and slab.

Other advantages of the bobcat is price, for the price of a larger used machine you can buy a bobcat new and get a factory warranty and financing.  

I think many of us don't look at the second and third echelon costs of operating a small portable sawmill. Spending 25K (+) on a mill (new) and then a cant hook, never thinking of moving the hundreds of tons of materials that will pass over thru and around the saw. It's a good investment!

Eric

Pete J

If I had a skidsteer I'd get one of these. Unfortunately, I don't have a skidsteer.
http://www.beaversqueezergrapple.com

We had a booth set up at a dealer open house on saturday. Connecticut Bobcat was there showing off a few of the new Bobcats. The all wheel steer with turf tires was awesome. Airconditioned/Heated cab, stereo system, etc. I liked everything about it except the price. 60k plus. Ouch!
LogRite

dewwood

One other important item on the skid steer, if you are handling logs at ground level or mill level they are fine.  If you are loading or unloading trucks they are somewhat dangerous as you are right under the forks and every once in awhile a log will go over the back of the forks.  You are sitting right under it even with rops it is not a good place to be.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

redpowerd

on that point, dropping a log on the cage on a skidsteer would take some skill, as the loader arms lift from the rear of the cab. the log would roll down the lift arms to the back of the cage. with a tractor, on the other hand, the log would roll down the arms right into your chest :-X

not sure why you would have to pick a log that high anyway.
i think the best thing to use aside from a wheel loader would be, sigh, a small JD telehandler.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Plowboy

Redpowerd, did I read that right, you mentioned to someone else that a John Deere might be a good piece of equipment.  You know this is how it starts, you think one piece equipment might be ok, then you the next thing you know you have some green equipment.  Then before you know it you give away all your red equipment and get all green.   :D :D

redpowerd

:D :D :D :D
weve used green planters and grain drills for as long as i remember. its the only thing they make thats worth anything.

been looking at the telehandlers for years for siliage work, just waiting for gehl to build a better one. ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer