iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i want to be logger

Started by ryguy777, March 11, 2013, 06:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy777

thanks for the info celliot

celliott

If you want any more information about Paul Smiths, I can give you a student's perspective, not the jazzed up admissions information you'd get if you visited. PM me if you have any specific questions.
It is a good forestry school, with good emphasis on the technical, field portion. The school has a skidder, bulldozer, prentice log loader, circular sawmill and woodmizer lt40 hydraulic bandmill, and a 1700 tap sugarbush, plenty of stuff to learn with. Alot of people go there expecting to do all the fun stuff right off, but your first couple semesters are pretty straightforward classes, and it puts some people off a bit, I think. Just something to think about.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ryguy777

man that sounds like an awesome place! im deffinetly going to look into that. where abouts is it? id deffinetly be interested in anything you can tell me about it

ryguy777

is that the one wayyyy up there almost in ontario? when i was really little my grandparents got me a brochure from there cause they knew i wanted to be a logger, even back then

celliott

Not in Canada, Paul Smiths is in the Adirondack park in New York. Near Saranac Lake, or Lake Placid.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ryguy777

yeah not in canada but way up in the adirondacks almost on the border? i remember theres one up there

celliott

It's maybe 45 minutes from the Canadian border. Quebec province though, not Ontario. Maybe 2 hours from Montreal. Whereabouts are you from? I think I mistakenly assumed you were from New Hampshire.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ryguy777

im from upstate new york, the southern tier part near pa. im from ny and spend my summers there and i am moving back this summer. ive been in indiana for the past 3 years.... kinda hard to be where its so flat and no trees when home to me is mountains and woods

harrymontana

come to Bolivia and start logging some real ipe, massaranduba or tigerwood logs. For the weekends it is easy women logging too.
everything on hardwood

beenthere

Quotefrom upstate new york, the southern tier part near pa. im from ny and spend my summers there  and i am moving back this summer. ive been in indiana for the past 3 years....

Been in high school there, and home for the summer ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JRod

From the forester's perspective, I'd second what most others have said. Learn as much as you can about business, accounting, economics, etc. It might be a little more dirty, but supply and demand exists as much in logging as it does at Wal-Mart and McDonald's. Even in my short career, I've seen that the loggers that do the best are the ones who understand business. They don't take jobs they can't make money off of (but sometimes you don't know that until it's too late  :-[). Going along with that, having a forestry degree would definitely help you figure out which ones are worth the time. Besides learning all the different inventory methods, you'd have the opportunity to take more business classes that you might not be able to find outside of college.

And if you're like me and everyone else I knew when I was 16, we changed our career paths a couple times along the way. You might drive a skidder for a couple summers and realize it's not what you want to do; you might decide you'd rather stick more with being a forester and go that route; or you might take a random class in college and decide you want to do something completely different. I didn't even know forestry existed when I started college. In other words, have a goal like others have said, but be able to realize when your goal might not be quite what you want anymore or when an opportunity presents itself that you never planned on.

CX3

My Bible happens to have a fancy mossy oak cover as well!
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ryguy777

cx3, yeah there about the coolest bible ive seen haha  and beenthere, yes but i might be moving back for good soon, hope so anyways. i usually get back for summer and deer season and a few smaller trips inbetween

ryguy777

just a little update..... im back in new york now, im hoping to get some work in our woods done soon.... also gonna visit an old family friend who is a loggerand get some advice from him. and last but not least, im visiting paul smiths college this weekend:)

beenthere

Good to hear from you, and let us know how your visits go.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ryguy777

the visit went good, looks like an awesome place for me. the downside is its about a 6 hour drive from home so getting back on weekends or whenever would be not so convenient. im gonna keep the place in mind but id like to look into some other forestry schools too

beenthere

Skip those weekends going home. More fun staying and even getting some additional study time.   ;D ;D

Time to move on......
south central Wisconsin

ryguy777

i may just end up going that route 8)

Thank You Sponsors!